From: johnb on
Good morning all

I have a 2007 db split in to FE and BE. The BE is on a server with the FE's
on local pc's. When I open the first Form to pull records from the BE
response time increases, like to around a minute to open. Not good! The
network is known to be slow, 2 meg bandwith and I'm not helping by having a
Form with 5 sub forms on a Tab control. So I thought that maybe that VB.Net's
namespace Data.OLEDB may provide a faster response time than Access's split
db hard coded connection.

I'm aware that means writing the FE in VB.Net but it may be worth it if
OLEDB is faster the Access's connection code.

Has anyone any info speeds of these connection methods?

john b
From: Patrice on
Hello,

> Not good! The
> network is known to be slow, 2 meg bandwith and I'm not helping by having
> Form with 5 sub forms on a Tab control. So I thought that maybe that
> VB.Net's
> namespace Data.OLEDB may provide a faster response time than Access's
> split
> db hard coded connection.

An Access group could be better...

Access is file based so in all cases the driver will have to deal directly
with the file over the network rather than sending/receiving the minimal
amount of data. IMO you won't be able to solve this with the current
architecture (the slow network is the limit).

Ideally you would want :
- to use a "true" DBMS, that is the FE sends a request and the BE sents just
that results
- filter as soon as possible i.e. don't start with displaying numerous
records, have a UI that let the user first to select the set of rows he is
interested in and then load just those rows...

--
Patrice

From: johnb on
Hi Patrice
Thanks for the comments. Selecting only the record needed will reduce
network traffic. Which I shall do.

"Patrice" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Not good! The
> > network is known to be slow, 2 meg bandwith and I'm not helping by having
> > Form with 5 sub forms on a Tab control. So I thought that maybe that
> > VB.Net's
> > namespace Data.OLEDB may provide a faster response time than Access's
> > split
> > db hard coded connection.
>
> An Access group could be better...
>
> Access is file based so in all cases the driver will have to deal directly
> with the file over the network rather than sending/receiving the minimal
> amount of data. IMO you won't be able to solve this with the current
> architecture (the slow network is the limit).
>
> Ideally you would want :
> - to use a "true" DBMS, that is the FE sends a request and the BE sents just
> that results
> - filter as soon as possible i.e. don't start with displaying numerous
> records, have a UI that let the user first to select the set of rows he is
> interested in and then load just those rows...
>
> --
> Patrice
>

> .

Pages: 1