From: Ron Patterson on
When I log on as administrator I apparently do not have administrator
priviledges
I downloaded a Quicken Update today with no problem but when I tried to
install it as user and was told I needed administrator
priviledges - when I logged off and on as administrator and tried to install
it I got the same message - that I needed administrator priviledges.

I tried to reinstall an original version of Quicken from a saved
installation file and received a similar message. That I did not have
priviledges.

Same thing - logged on as Administrator I tried to install Acronis True
Image from a save installation file and received a message saying I needed
administrator priviledges to install it.

What can I do so that the computer recognizes me as the administrator with
full priviledges?

From: Ron Patterson on

I forgot to mention it appears that I have two administrator accounts. If I
go to Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\
Groups\Administrators and double click I show two accountss - Administrator
and Ron Patterson

Likewise, if I go to Control Panel\User Accounts -I show 4 Icons:
Ron Patterson - Computer administrator
Administrator - Computer administrator
Guest account - Guest account is off
ASP.NET Machine:
Limited Account
Password protected

Ergo - I should have administator priviledges in two accounts but actually
have no priviledges in either

Ron Patterson

From: Daave on
Ron Patterson wrote:
> When I log on as administrator I apparently do not have administrator
> priviledges
> I downloaded a Quicken Update today with no problem but when I tried
> to install it as user and was told I needed administrator
> priviledges - when I logged off and on as administrator and tried to
> install it I got the same message - that I needed administrator
> priviledges.
> I tried to reinstall an original version of Quicken from a saved
> installation file and received a similar message. That I did not have
> priviledges.
>
> Same thing - logged on as Administrator I tried to install Acronis
> True Image from a save installation file and received a message
> saying I needed administrator priviledges to install it.
>
> What can I do so that the computer recognizes me as the administrator
> with full priviledges?

It seems like you've had this issue for a while (if memory serves).

What is the malware status of your PC?

From: John John - MVP on
Try here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/solving-setup-errors-by-using-the-subinacl-tool-to-repair-file-and-registry-permissions.aspx
Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
registry permissions

If that doesn't fix things try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

If things are still not fixes after doing the above do an in-place
upgrade (repair install) of the operating system.

John

From: Ron Patterson on
Thanks to all the help. I ran a Windows malware scan and found the same
Trojan in 4 locations. From a bit of research, it did not sound like this
could be causing the problem, but after cleaning the infection, things
"SEEM" to be working okay.

Again,
Thanks to both respondents,
Ron Patterson