From: William B. Lurie on
Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
suggested starting point:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Bill Lurie

From: kraut on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:48:20 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
<billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote:

>Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
>finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
>your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
>to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
>does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
>suggested starting point:
>
>http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
>
> Bill Lurie

news.eternal-september.org

From: William B. Lurie on
kraut wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:48:20 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
> <billurie(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
>> finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
>> your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
>> to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
>> does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
>> suggested starting point:
>>
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
>>
>> Bill Lurie

I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
put in front of it to make it a useful URL?

news.eternal-september.org

From: Bruce Chambers on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
> a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
> put in front of it to make it a useful URL?
>
> news.eternal-september.org

That's not a URL. URLs (Uniform Resource Locator) are used for
accessing HTTP (Hyper-Text Trandfer Protocol) Internet web pages via a
web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Firefox.

Uniform Resource Locator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator

It's a Usenet Newsgroup NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) Server
address. You'd enter it as such following the instructions for whatever
newsreader application (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Free Agent, Agent,
X-news, etc.) that you use.

Network News Transfer Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nntp

For Thunderbird, which your message headers tell me you're using:

1) Click Tools > Account Settings > Add Account > Newsgroup Account

2) Click <Next>

3) Enter your name & email address; click <Next>

4) Enter "news.eternal-september.org" in the Newsgroup Server field;
click <Next>

5) Either accept the default account name, or enter one of your own;
click <Next>

6) Click <Finish>

7) Make any other customizations or settings that you desire; click <OK>

8) Subscribe to the desired Newsgroups and have fun.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.