From: Daave on
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>

>> I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
>> a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
>> put in front of it to make it a useful URL?
>>
>> news.eternal-september.org
>>

> That's not a URL. URLs (Uniform Resource Locator) are used for
> accessing HTTP (Hyper-Text Trandfer Protocol) Internet web pages via a
> web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Firefox.
>
> Uniform Resource Locator
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator
>
> It's a Usenet Newsgroup NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) Server
> address. You'd enter it as such following the instructions for
> whatever newsreader application (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Free
> Agent, Agent, X-news, etc.) that you use.
>
> Network News Transfer Protocol
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nntp
>
> For Thunderbird, which your message headers tell me you're using:
>
> 1) Click Tools > Account Settings > Add Account > Newsgroup Account
>
> 2) Click <Next>
>
> 3) Enter your name & email address; click <Next>
>
> 4) Enter "news.eternal-september.org" in the Newsgroup Server field;
> click <Next>
>
> 5) Either accept the default account name, or enter one of your own;
> click <Next>
>
> 6) Click <Finish>
>
> 7) Make any other customizations or settings that you desire; click
> <OK>
> 8) Subscribe to the desired Newsgroups and have fun.

There are actually a few more steps necessary. One needs to register
first! (Then one will have the necessary account name and password.)

In the Server tab, the box next to "This server requires me to log on"
needs to be checked. Then the account name and password need to be
entered. (Or perhaps this is what you mean by customizations and
settings.) More info:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

From: William B. Lurie on
Daave wrote:
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>>
>>> I am intrigued by reference to a URL shown below in
>>> a prior message. I tried it and got nowhere. What to I have to
>>> put in front of it to make it a useful URL?
>>>
>>> news.eternal-september.org
>>>

>> That's not a URL. URLs (Uniform Resource Locator) are used for
>> accessing HTTP (Hyper-Text Trandfer Protocol) Internet web pages via a
>> web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Firefox.
>>
>> Uniform Resource Locator
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator
>>
>> It's a Usenet Newsgroup NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) Server
>> address. You'd enter it as such following the instructions for
>> whatever newsreader application (Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Free
>> Agent, Agent, X-news, etc.) that you use.
>>
>> Network News Transfer Protocol
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nntp
>>
>> For Thunderbird, which your message headers tell me you're using:
>>
>> 1) Click Tools > Account Settings > Add Account > Newsgroup Account
>>
>> 2) Click <Next>
>>
>> 3) Enter your name & email address; click <Next>
>>
>> 4) Enter "news.eternal-september.org" in the Newsgroup Server field;
>> click <Next>
>>
>> 5) Either accept the default account name, or enter one of your own;
>> click <Next>
>>
>> 6) Click <Finish>
>>
>> 7) Make any other customizations or settings that you desire; click
>> <OK>
>> 8) Subscribe to the desired Newsgroups and have fun.
>
> There are actually a few more steps necessary. One needs to register
> first! (Then one will have the necessary account name and password.)
>
> In the Server tab, the box next to "This server requires me to log on"
> needs to be checked. Then the account name and password need to be
> entered. (Or perhaps this is what you mean by customizations and
> settings.) More info:
>
> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
> http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en

I musta done it right, Daave, because I'm up and running over there.
From: Jose on
On Jun 11, 2:48 pm, "William B. Lurie" <billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
> Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
> finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
> your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
> to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
> does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
> suggested starting point:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
>
>                    Bill Lurie

If you sign up there, you can get points and everything *giggle*!!!

What is the prize, you reckon?

From: JD on
Jose wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2:48 pm, "William B. Lurie"<billu...(a)nospam.net> wrote:
>> Since I have so many thumbs, I have been very nervous about
>> finding a replacement for this newsgroup. I followed one of
>> your recommended links, and got to a Forum, which turned out
>> to be not quite the equivalent. But they steered me to what
>> does look like an equivalent, and I pass that along as a
>> suggested starting point:
>>
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
>>
>> Bill Lurie
>
> If you sign up there, you can get points and everything *giggle*!!!
>
> What is the prize, you reckon?

Who cares? Makes me all *giddy*!

--
JD..
From: Daave on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> Daave wrote:
>> Bruce Chambers wrote:

>>> That's not a URL. URLs (Uniform Resource Locator) are used for
>>> accessing HTTP (Hyper-Text Trandfer Protocol) Internet web pages
>>> via a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or
>>> Firefox. Uniform Resource Locator
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Locator
>>>
>>> It's a Usenet Newsgroup NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol)
>>> Server address. You'd enter it as such following the instructions
>>> for whatever newsreader application (Outlook Express, Thunderbird,
>>> Free Agent, Agent, X-news, etc.) that you use.
>>>
>>> Network News Transfer Protocol
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nntp
>>>
>>> For Thunderbird, which your message headers tell me you're using:
>>>
>>> 1) Click Tools > Account Settings > Add Account > Newsgroup Account
>>>
>>> 2) Click <Next>
>>>
>>> 3) Enter your name & email address; click <Next>
>>>
>>> 4) Enter "news.eternal-september.org" in the Newsgroup Server field;
>>> click <Next>
>>>
>>> 5) Either accept the default account name, or enter one of your own;
>>> click <Next>
>>>
>>> 6) Click <Finish>
>>>
>>> 7) Make any other customizations or settings that you desire; click
>>> <OK>
>>> 8) Subscribe to the desired Newsgroups and have fun.
>>
>> There are actually a few more steps necessary. One needs to register
>> first! (Then one will have the necessary account name and password.)
>>
>> In the Server tab, the box next to "This server requires me to log
>> on" needs to be checked. Then the account name and password need to
>> be entered. (Or perhaps this is what you mean by customizations and
>> settings.) More info:
>>
>> http://www.eternal-september.org/
>>
>> http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en
>>

> I musta done it right, Daave, because I'm up and running over there.

Cool.