From: Paul on
LRESA500(a)aol.com wrote:
> On May 11, 2:06�pm, JD <No.Re...(a)Sorry.com> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2010 12:45 PM, LRESA...(a)aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> My APS 4 gives me an "out of memory" message when I try to print.
>>> This is a new development. How can I fix this problem? My system
>>> has plenty of memory. Thanks
>> Hi there we will need a little more information to help you out.
>>
>> What OS (version of windows) are you using ?
>>
>> How much RAM do you have ?
>>
>> What size is your hard drive (C:) ?
>>
>> How much free space is on your hard drive ? (%)
>>
>> if your computer runs out of physical memory (ram) your machine
>> automatically uses virtual memory (the hard drive) if your hard drive is
>> full (or your page file is set incorrectly / not auto) then you will run
>> out of memory.
>>
>> or it could be a bug/software problem, have you tried un-installing and
>> re-installing photoshop?
>>
>> JD
>
> Thanks guys !
> I have a Dell Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, Bios Vers A10 with a system memory
> of 1024 MB DDR SDram. It uses Windows XP. My hard drive is 148 GB with
> 118 GB free space and an external hard drive of 500GB.
>
> I've been using Adobe to scan film prints into the program's catalog.
> Recently I downloaded about 34
> photos from my digital camera into the catalog. The dl went fine. I
> was able to edit the photos and send them out by e-mail. When i went
> to print one I got an "out of memory" box.

My problem here, is figuring out which memory space the printing process
would be using.

Photoshop does its own memory management, and has a tuning slider which
limits total memory consumption. I don't think the adjustment of how
much memory it uses, can be pushed to the point of "pinching" other
system resources.

The question then is, when you select "Print" from the menu, is the
thing that is failing part of Photoshop ? If it is, you could try
restarting Photoshop, check to see if you have enough scratch disk
space for Photoshop or the like.

If Photoshop's memory allocation scheme was using too much of system
memory at that point in time, maybe there is no room to start a
process to handle printing.

I don't expect the error message is explicit enough, to hint at
what limit is being hit. If an outright system error was happening,
you might get a stack trace, the names of routines and so on.
And that would give you some idea where the problem is.

Adobe has forums, but since they're not sorted by Photoshop version,
the odds of doing a search and finding matching symptoms are pretty
poor.

In my experiments here with Photoshop, on a 2GB machine, I couldn't
get Photoshop to use more than about 1.6GB, leaving 0.4GB for
everything else. That should be plenty of room for other
system activities. And even if it wasn't enough, some other things
could be paged out to make room.

In software, a thing like this isn't typically triggered by a
true "out of memory" condition. It is triggered by some kind
of allocation problem, where a fixed allocation of memory is
provided, and the software design has no mechanism to expand it.
Perhaps a piece of code has limited stack or heap space
defined for it, and so it is a "local" allocation of memory
that is too small. The computer could physically have lots
of memory, and a stupid piece of software can "starve to death".
I suspect that is what is happening in the Photoshop case.

Some of the Photoshop plugins will include items that
change system behavior. So sometimes, a change to plugins
or preferences can trigger something like this.

Maybe simply rebooting the computer, restarting Photoshop,
and attempting to print, will be enough. If so, that
would be pretty sad, if it worked.

Photoshop for me, used to be just about the most bulletproof
application I owned. But looking at the comments now,
it looks more like a copy of Coreldraw.

Paul
From: JD on
On 13/05/2010 4:08 AM, LRESA500(a)aol.com wrote:
> On May 11, 2:06�pm, JD<No.Re...(a)Sorry.com> wrote:
>> On 11/05/2010 12:45 PM, LRESA...(a)aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> My APS 4 gives me an "out of memory" message when I try to print.
>>> This is a new development. How can I fix this problem? My system
>>> has plenty of memory. Thanks
>>
>> Hi there we will need a little more information to help you out.
>>
>> What OS (version of windows) are you using ?
>>
>> How much RAM do you have ?
>>
>> What size is your hard drive (C:) ?
>>
>> How much free space is on your hard drive ? (%)
>>
>> if your computer runs out of physical memory (ram) your machine
>> automatically uses virtual memory (the hard drive) if your hard drive is
>> full (or your page file is set incorrectly / not auto) then you will run
>> out of memory.
>>
>> or it could be a bug/software problem, have you tried un-installing and
>> re-installing photoshop?
>>
>> JD
>
> Thanks guys !
> I have a Dell Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, Bios Vers A10 with a system memory
> of 1024 MB DDR SDram. It uses Windows XP. My hard drive is 148 GB with
> 118 GB free space and an external hard drive of 500GB.
>
> I've been using Adobe to scan film prints into the program's catalog.
> Recently I downloaded about 34
> photos from my digital camera into the catalog. The dl went fine. I
> was able to edit the photos and send them out by e-mail. When i went
> to print one I got an "out of memory" box.

Paul's thread will have more info on Photoshop than this one as its a
program I don't use, I prefer to use free software wherever possible I
use the gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program www.gimp.org)

Your system is 32 bit, you have plenty of hard drive space and adequate
memory (altho more is always better) I presume you are printing the
Image from within photoshop? have you tried going to the pictures
location and right clicking on it and "print" does that work without
problems ?

JD

From: LRESA500 on
On May 13, 9:39�am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> [...]
> of allocation problem, where a fixed allocation of memory is
> provided, and the software design has no mechanism to expand it.
> Perhaps a piece of code has limited stack or heap space
> defined for it, and so it is a "local" allocation of memory
> that is too small. The computer could physically have lots
> of memory, and a stupid piece of software can "starve to death".
> I suspect that is what is happening in the Photoshop case.
>
> Some of the Photoshop plugins will include items that
> change system behavior. So sometimes, a change to plugins
> or preferences can trigger something like this.
>
> Maybe simply rebooting the computer, restarting Photoshop,
> and attempting to print, will be enough. If so, that
> would be pretty sad, if it worked.
>
> Photoshop for me, used to be just about the most bulletproof
> application I owned. But looking at the comments now,

A "key event", if you will, in all this was when I downloaded images
from my digital camera into the Photoshop program. This was the first
time I had done this. Even though the dl appeared to work well
something happened at this time. I'm going to uninstall Adobe and
load it again. Last year after running "Registry Mechanic" all my
photos from Adobe were lost. They were still in the program but had
broken links meaning they were no longer on the hard drive. I never
found out what exactly happened there either. Thanks JD and Paul for
your feedback.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Windows Update Not Allowed