From: MartinC on

> Nothing has worked. Best ideas that haven't worked: rebuilding the Launch
> Services database & totally uninstalling (not just zipping the app)
> Soundbooth.

Try this:

- get the "FileUtilsCM" context menu (it's a good one anyway :-)
http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/file_utils.html

- launch the RCDefaultApp pane again and try to set every instance of FLAC
(to start with) to your preferred application

- restart (just to be on the safe side)

- now search for one individual .flac file with the wrong icon

- ctrl-click on it for the contextual menu

- navigate to the FileUtils menu and select "Remove All Mac attributes"

What happens?

From: MartinC on
Tim Lance wrote:

> When in RCDefaultApp I did see that Fluke was still on my machine. It is the
> app that lets FLAC files be played in iTunes and previewed in Finder. What it
> does is converts FLACs on the fly (and only temporarily so as to be played
> thusly). I though I had already banished it. So I got all excited thinking
> that was the ultimate issue. I ditched Fluke. I used RCDefaultApp on
> everything FLAC I could find, setting everything to Cog. Restarted, cleaned
> caches with Applejack just to be paranoid, and restarted. Nope.
>
> On another board someone said the icon I was seeing was not from Adobe but
> rather grom Apple. All I know is as long as I've used Soundbooth, any file I
> created with it had the icon. More, since CS5, all audio files had it, and
> not just those created with SB. Hence my assumption it was Adobe mucking with
> me.
>
> screenshot of GetInfo

Hmmm... I thought that the actual problem was that FLAC got permanently
connected to an Adobe app (as in "Adobe taking over" :-), but this looks
like that it is indeed linked to Cog, but "something else" just creates the
preview.

Did you check Library/QuickLook/ (both on your system and your user
library)?

That would be the default place for plug-ins creating previews like this.

From: MartinC on
Tim Lance wrote:

> SO much thanks. I know it's a band-aid because I'd really like an audio quick
> look ability for *some* files. When I get a moment I will dig into backups
> for a pre-CS5 one and grab that Audio.qlgenerator file.

I have a certain feeling that this won't work...

I jumped on this thread because I initially thought it's just a launch
services issue, and RCDefaultApp certainly is a life-saver here.

However, I now checked a couple of things here (Leopard) and made some
interesting discoveries.

1) Leopard doesn't have Audio.qlgenerator, but it does have Audio Preview -
so it's rolled into the system and got separated into a QuickLook plug in
SL. This is why you lost the entire Audio preview now.

2) Your preview icon is *not* Soundbooth, because I have exactly the same,
and I never hat Soundbooth at any time.

3) Surprise, Surprise! I can preview FLAC files... I have the ancient
FLACImport.component and - of course - QT will use it whenever something
asks for any kind of playback, including Preview.

Since I can't reproduce your settings here, it is blind guessing, but to me
it looks like if
- your Fluke "bridge" somehow didn't work with QT/preview in SL so you
didn't get FLAC Preview
- Soundbooth installed a component that enables QT support for FLAC
- so now Preview started to playback FLAC through QT

You could check all of your QuickTime and Components folders in your
Libraries if you find Adobe plugs that add audio support.