From: laredotornado on
Hi,

I'm using Mac 10.6.3 and a Micrsofot SQL Server 2005 database. Does
anyone know of a SQL server client I can use on my Mac? I'm primarily
trying to use it to analyze slow queries.

Thanks, - Dave
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<d792ea7c-de02-4e01-b008-fc4b58d00f63(a)k8g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
laredotornado <laredotornado(a)zipmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Mac 10.6.3 and a Micrsofot SQL Server 2005 database.

Yuck. Too bad you aren't running MySQL...

> Does
> anyone know of a SQL server client I can use on my Mac? I'm primarily
> trying to use it to analyze slow queries.
>
> Thanks, - Dave

If you were running MySQL, you could use the most excellent MySQL
Workbench - highly recommended!:

<http://wb.mysql.com/?p=406>

I doubt Microsoft provides Mac software for their SQL servers (though I
could be wrong). If so, you'll probably need a more general solution. A
quick Google search (which you should definitely do, BTW), shows this
tool may be helpful to you - albeit not nearly as user friendly as MySQL
Workbench:

<http://www.razorsql.com/>

JR
From: Dave Fritzinger on
On Jul 26, 11:55 am, Jolly Roger <jollyro...(a)pobox.com> wrote:
> In article
> <d792ea7c-de02-4e01-b008-fc4b58d00...(a)k8g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  laredotornado <laredotorn...(a)zipmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm using Mac 10.6.3 and a Micrsofot SQL Server 2005 database.
>
> Yuck. Too bad you aren't running MySQL...
>
> > Does
> > anyone know of a SQL server client I can use on my Mac?  I'm primarily
> > trying to use it to analyze slow queries.
>
> > Thanks, - Dave
>
> If you were running MySQL, you could use the most excellent MySQL
> Workbench - highly recommended!:
>
> <http://wb.mysql.com/?p=406>
>
> I doubt Microsoft provides Mac software for their SQL servers (though I
> could be wrong). If so, you'll probably need a more general solution. A
> quick Google search (which you should definitely do, BTW), shows this
> tool may be helpful to you - albeit not nearly as user friendly as MySQL
> Workbench:
>
> <http://www.razorsql.com/>
>
> --
> Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me.
> E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM
> filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting
> messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google
> Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

I believe that it is possible to obtain the proper driver (see the
Microsoft web site), and export the SQL data into Excel.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<0cab5569-6af2-4ccb-a976-e81a683437b4(a)x18g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
Dave Fritzinger <dfritzin(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 11:55�am, Jolly Roger <jollyro...(a)pobox.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <d792ea7c-de02-4e01-b008-fc4b58d00...(a)k8g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > �laredotornado <laredotorn...(a)zipmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > I'm using Mac 10.6.3 and a Micrsofot SQL Server 2005 database.
> >
> > Yuck. Too bad you aren't running MySQL...
> >
> > > Does
> > > anyone know of a SQL server client I can use on my Mac? �I'm primarily
> > > trying to use it to analyze slow queries.
> >
> > > Thanks, - Dave
> >
> > If you were running MySQL, you could use the most excellent MySQL
> > Workbench - highly recommended!:
> >
> > <http://wb.mysql.com/?p=406>
> >
> > I doubt Microsoft provides Mac software for their SQL servers (though I
> > could be wrong). If so, you'll probably need a more general solution. A
> > quick Google search (which you should definitely do, BTW), shows this
> > tool may be helpful to you - albeit not nearly as user friendly as MySQL
> > Workbench:
> >
> > <http://www.razorsql.com/>
>
> I believe that it is possible to obtain the proper driver (see the
> Microsoft web site), and export the SQL data into Excel.

Driver??

The OP didn't ask for a way to export data from the database server. He
asked about a client that runs on Mac OS that will let him do
administrative and diagnostic work with the server.

JR
From: Stephen on
There's some discussion here with a couple of suggestions
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3452/sql-client-for-mac-os-x-that-works-with-ms-sql-server