From: Greg Buchner on
I'm looking for some recommendations on a Firewire Enclosure.

I'd like it to be Firewire 800, have a good power supply (I currently
have a FW400 case that doesn't provide enough power to the drive I had
in it), and be at least relatively quiet as this is going to be hooked
up to the Mac Mini that's connected to my HDTV.

Thank you...

Greg Buchner

Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com
From: Fred Moore on
In article <null-D90C3D.13164826072010(a)free.teranews.net>,
Greg Buchner <null(a)none.invalid> wrote:

> I'm looking for some recommendations on a Firewire Enclosure.
>
> I'd like it to be Firewire 800, have a good power supply (I currently
> have a FW400 case that doesn't provide enough power to the drive I had
> in it), and be at least relatively quiet as this is going to be hooked
> up to the Mac Mini that's connected to my HDTV.

If reliability is of prime importance, because you are perhaps keeping
backup on it as well as video, I highly recommend the enclosures from
Wiebetech. Here is one suggestion
<http://www.wiebetech.com/products/toughtech.php>. They are fanless so
very quiet, multiple interface, and highly reliable. Reliability has a
price, of course. I usually buy an empty case and install an Hitachi
DeskStar Enterprise drive in it myself.

OWC also has well regarded, less expensive enclosures.
<http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/>
From: Nick Naym on

http://www.icydock.com/

--
iMac (27", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.3)

From: Greg Buchner on
In article <fmoore-5A09A9.16430526072010(a)mx01.eternal-september.org>,
Fred Moore <fmoore(a)gcfn.org> wrote:

> If reliability is of prime importance, because you are perhaps keeping
> backup on it as well as video, I highly recommend the enclosures from
> Wiebetech. Here is one suggestion
> <http://www.wiebetech.com/products/toughtech.php>. They are fanless so
> very quiet, multiple interface, and highly reliable. Reliability has a
> price, of course. I usually buy an empty case and install an Hitachi
> DeskStar Enterprise drive in it myself.

$120 for a FW800 enclosure? Dang, that's expensive. Not worth it for
what I'm doing.

> OWC also has well regarded, less expensive enclosures.
> <http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/>

Definitely cheaper, but still too much of a jump in price just to get
FW800.

FWIW, I already have one of these put into a 5.25" full height SCSI case:
> <http://www.datoptic.com/dual-sata-to-usb-1394a-b-with-oxuf934dsb-chipset.html>
with two 2TB drives in it for my backup. If I had another old SCSI case,
I'd just buy one of these and I'd be set for a little bit more expansion
in the future.

Thank you,

Greg B.

Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com
From: thepixelfreak on
On 2010-07-26 11:16:48 -0700, Greg Buchner <null(a)none.invalid> said:

> I'm looking for some recommendations on a Firewire Enclosure.
>
> I'd like it to be Firewire 800, have a good power supply (I currently
> have a FW400 case that doesn't provide enough power to the drive I had
> in it), and be at least relatively quiet as this is going to be hooked
> up to the Mac Mini that's connected to my HDTV.
>
> Thank you...
>
> Greg Buchner

Just picked up one of these

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW934FWU2K/

for 47 bucks. that and a 1TB hitachi DeskStar that Fry's had for like
60 bucks was quite the deal for a TB of FW disk.
--

thepixelfreak