From: BreadWithSpam on
thepixelfreak <not(a)dot.com> writes:
> On 2010-07-26 11:16:48 -0700, Greg Buchner <null(a)none.invalid> said:
>
> > I'm looking for some recommendations on a Firewire Enclosure.

> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW934FWU2K/
[$47]

I've been very happy with probably about a dozen OWC drives and
enclosures over the years. I've got a 1TB drive in that quad
interface version of that running on my desk right here. But
they are rather pricey.

The one you noted above is USB/FW400 and the OP asked about FW800.
The quad interface one is about twice that price.

I've also got one of these:
<http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SUA-Hi-Speed-FireWire-Enclosure/dp/B000P1NAMO>
(It's about $40, and there is also a quad-interace version for about
$74)
and it's been perfectly decent.

From: Greg Buchner on
In article <yob8w4wzlc1.fsf(a)panix2.panix.com>,
BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:

> I've also got one of these:
> <http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SUA-Hi-Speed-FireWire-Enclosure/dp/B000
> P1NAMO>
> (It's about $40, and there is also a quad-interace version for about
> $74)
> and it's been perfectly decent.

I have one of those sitting empty. It didn't do the job. The hard drive
I have (and have had for a couple of years now) requires more power than
this case supplies. It works fine for smaller amounts of data, but run
anything large through it and it just goes away. Was a real
disappointment.

Greg B.

Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <2010072713273116807-not(a)dotcom>,
thepixelfreak <not(a)dot.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-26 11:16:48 -0700, Greg Buchner <null(a)none.invalid> said:
>
> > I'm looking for some recommendations on a Firewire Enclosure.
> >
> > I'd like it to be Firewire 800, have a good power supply (I currently
> > have a FW400 case that doesn't provide enough power to the drive I had
> > in it), and be at least relatively quiet as this is going to be hooked
> > up to the Mac Mini that's connected to my HDTV.
> >
> > Thank you...
> >
> > Greg Buchner
>
> Just picked up one of these
>
> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW934FWU2K/
>
> for 47 bucks. that and a 1TB hitachi DeskStar that Fry's had for like
> 60 bucks was quite the deal for a TB of FW disk.

I have had good experiences with OWC's Mercury enclosures.

JR
From: Greg Buchner on
In article <2010072713273116807-not(a)dotcom>,
thepixelfreak <not(a)dot.com> wrote:

> Just picked up one of these
>
> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEFW934FWU2K/
>
> for 47 bucks. that and a 1TB hitachi DeskStar that Fry's had for like
> 60 bucks was quite the deal for a TB of FW disk.

This particular one has a power supply that isn't adequate (2A), and
like Bread said, isn't FW800. I notice the FW800 model does have a 3A
power supply, but for $90, I think I'll try to track down another 5.25"
full height SCSI case and put a DatOptics bridgeboard in it.

Thanks,

Greg B.

Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com
From: BreadWithSpam on
Greg Buchner <null(a)none.invalid> writes:
> BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
>
> > I've also got one of these:
> > <http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SUA-Hi-Speed-FireWire-Enclosure/dp/B000
> > P1NAMO>

[MacAlly aluminum FW/USB/esata enclosure]

> I have one of those sitting empty. It didn't do the job. The hard drive
> I have (and have had for a couple of years now) requires more power than
> this case supplies. It works fine for smaller amounts of data, but run
> anything large through it and it just goes away. Was a real
> disappointment.

That's a shame. I've had mine for about a year and used to use it
only periodically. It had a 1TB WD Caviar Black in it which I used to
clone my internal drive. I recently pulled the drive from it and
stuck a 2TB WD Caviar Green into it and have been using it daily for
about a week. No problems that I've detected and the drive is being
used now mostly to hold huge media files.

What kinds of drives have you used in it? I've never really paid much
attention to the power requirements as I've never experienced any
problems with external enclosures (well, non bus-powered).

With an earlier PBG4, I found I couldn't always run bus-powered USB
2.5" drives off of it, but that's about the extent of those issues
I've encountered. I regularly run one of those now on my current MBP.
(WD elements).

I hadn't thought about it but I've got a lot of WD drives now. Hrm.