From: stevebump on
I'm fluid in After Effects, while being a newcomer to Flash 8. Our training
modules are almost always finilized in Authorware, which only accepts .swf
files via Flash 7. AE allows me to output some nicely compressed file formats
as .flv - which work great in Flash 8, but Authorware won't accept.

Does anyone know of any work around, or series of work arounds that could help
me out in this scenario. Flash is great, but limited in compairison to AE and I
loathe the idea of simplifiying our visual presentations due to such a needless
limitation.

Any help, ideas, suggestions, links are appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven.bump(a)gmacinsurance.com

From: Joseph Sites on
It is possible to bring newer Flash files into Authorware, but it requires
using the ActiveX flash control instead of the FlashAsset xtra.

The difference:

FlashAsset Xtra = standalone flash player. the end-user does not need the
flash player installed. regardless of what flash version they do have
installed, they will be able to view your content. It's limitation is that
you can only display flash content from Flash Player 6 or older.

ActiveX Control = this relys on the end-user's installed flash player. if
they have Flash Player 9 installed, they can view any flash content you
throw at them. If they only have Flash Player 7 installed, they won't be
able to view your content if it's published for a newer version of flash. it
may still show up, but I'm not sure how well things would work. Limitation:
ActiveX controls must always be on top. you cannot bring other things into
Authorware on top of the flash file playing. It will always be "Direct to
Screen".

So if you use the ActiveX control in Authorware to bring in your flash
content, you'll be able to play the .flv files through a .swf brought into
Authorware. I've never used FLV files this way, so I HOPE that it will work
for you, but I've never tested it myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't
work.

hope this helps.

From: Erik L. on
Quick, IME, addendum;

The "FlashAsset Xtra" CAN display Flash content later than version 6,
but there's no guarantee it will work. I've loaded Flash 7 and 8 content
into the Flash Xtra and had it play fine, but those SWFs weren't doing
anything fancy...

I do very much doubt you could play an FLV file through it. You could
try doing a loadMovie on the FLV through Flash and publish as Flash 7 or
6 but I doubt that would work.

Otherwise, agreed on the ActiveX approach and comments.
Erik

From: stevebump on
I appreciate all the responses, but again my primary focus is the .flv file format specifically importing into Authorware - not just .swf files
From: Amy Blankenship *AdobeCommunityExpert* on
Then use the ActiveX...
>I appreciate all the responses, but again my primary focus is the .flv file
>format specifically importing into Authorware - not just .swf files

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Select and higlight text
Next: Where is the EXE...?