From: Matthias Hoys on

"EdStevens" <quetico_man(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> DA Morgan wrote:
>> EdStevens wrote:
>> > Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
>> >
>> > Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
>> > 64bit. Runing fine.
>> >
>> > Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
>> > Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
>> > Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
>> > OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
>> > Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
>> >

>> > Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
>> > Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
>> > stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
>> > runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
>> > all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
>> > reported:
>> >
>> > Error writing to file
>> > '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
>> > [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
>> > (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
>> >
>> > Ideas?
>>
>> What did you do that you think stopped the agent?
>>
>> My guess is you stopped some other agent in some other directory based
>> on your path.
>>
>> cd $OMA_HOME/bin -- go to the home directory
>> pwd -- verify you are really there
>> ./emctl stop agent
>> ./emctl status agent
>>
>> On my list of egregious Oracle design errors has been that they put
>> emctl into every home directory they could spell. ;-)
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>
> Good point about the 'extra' emctl files laying around. But even when
> insureing against that problem as you detailed, the results were the
> same.

After you stop all Oracle-related processes, try to remove any AIX kernel
modules that are still in use with the command :

/usr/sbin/slibclean

HTH
Matthias

From: hpuxrac on

EdStevens wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > EdStevens wrote:
> > > Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
> > >
> > > Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
> > > 64bit. Runing fine.
> > >
> > > Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
> > > Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
> > > Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> > > Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
> > > OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
> > > Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
> > >

> > > Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
> > > Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
> > > stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
> > > runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
> > > all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
> > > reported:
> > >
> > > Error writing to file
> > > '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
> > > [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
> > > (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
> > >
> > > Ideas?
> >
> > A permissions problem perhaps?
> >
> > Do you have any other running oracle processes that might have this
> > library allocated?
> >
> > On hpux you use the fuser command to see what other processes have a
> > file allocated/open.
> >
> > What's the equivalent to do on aix? There's got to be a way to
> > identify what processes are using the file
>
> While I had not heard of it before, this is a fuser command on this AIX
> system. Results are:
>
> $> fuser -V /db00/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraIn>
> /db00/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so:
>
> $>
>
> This result was the same before actually starting runInstaller, and
> again when it was paused to report the problem. The 'verbose' (-V)
> ouput (as opposed to th default 'non-verbose') was that extra line feed.

Okay so you are responsible for oracle on aix and were not aware of the
fuser command? Ouch.

I would go back to the patchset installation instructions and make sure
that you have followed them for your brand of unix. ( Someone
suggested libclean ? or something like that which may be required for
aix ? ). Check with a knowledgeable aix system administrator for your
environment.

Then there's always the open the service request with oracle method.

From: DA Morgan on
EdStevens wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>> EdStevens wrote:
>>> Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
>>>
>>> Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
>>> 64bit. Runing fine.
>>>
>>> Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
>>> Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
>>> Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>> Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
>>> OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
>>> Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
>>>

>>> Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
>>> Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
>>> stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
>>> runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
>>> all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
>>> reported:
>>>
>>> Error writing to file
>>> '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
>>> [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
>>> (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>> What did you do that you think stopped the agent?
>>
>> My guess is you stopped some other agent in some other directory based
>> on your path.
>>
>> cd $OMA_HOME/bin -- go to the home directory
>> pwd -- verify you are really there
>> ./emctl stop agent
>> ./emctl status agent
>>
>> On my list of egregious Oracle design errors has been that they put
>> emctl into every home directory they could spell. ;-)
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>
> Good point about the 'extra' emctl files laying around. But even when
> insureing against that problem as you detailed, the results were the
> same.

What's the same?

Two other suggestions if what has been recommended, so far, doesn't work.

1a. ps -ef | grep libora
1b. kill -9

2. reboot
From: hpuxrac on

DA Morgan wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> What did you do that you think stopped the agent?
> >>
> >> My guess is you stopped some other agent in some other directory based
> >> on your path.
> >>
> >> cd $OMA_HOME/bin -- go to the home directory
> >> pwd -- verify you are really there
> >> ./emctl stop agent
> >> ./emctl status agent
> >>
> >> On my list of egregious Oracle design errors has been that they put
> >> emctl into every home directory they could spell. ;-)
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> >> www.psoug.org
> >
> > Good point about the 'extra' emctl files laying around. But even when
> > insureing against that problem as you detailed, the results were the
> > same.
>
> What's the same?
>
> Two other suggestions if what has been recommended, so far, doesn't work.
>
> 1a. ps -ef | grep libora
> 1b. kill -9
>
> 2. reboot

Reboot on a unix ( aix ) system? Why in the heck would you recommend
something like that for a problem based on oracle software
installations?

From: DA Morgan on
hpuxrac wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Two other suggestions if what has been recommended, so far, doesn't work.
>>
>> 1a. ps -ef | grep libora
>> 1b. kill -9
>>
>> 2. reboot
>
> Reboot on a unix ( aix ) system? Why in the heck would you recommend
> something like that for a problem based on oracle software
> installations?

Because sometimes, with AIX, it works.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
(replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
www.psoug.org
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Client problem
Next: Job Queue Process use lots of memory