From: EdStevens on
Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05

Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
64bit. Runing fine.

Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0

Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
reported:

Error writing to file
'/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
[/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
(Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]

Ideas?

From: hpuxrac on

EdStevens wrote:
> Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
>
> Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
> 64bit. Runing fine.
>
> Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
> Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
> Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
> OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
> Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
>

> Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
> Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
> stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
> runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
> all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
> reported:
>
> Error writing to file
> '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
> [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
> (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
>
> Ideas?

A permissions problem perhaps?

Do you have any other running oracle processes that might have this
library allocated?

On hpux you use the fuser command to see what other processes have a
file allocated/open.

What's the equivalent to do on aix? There's got to be a way to
identify what processes are using the file

From: DA Morgan on
EdStevens wrote:
> Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
>
> Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
> 64bit. Runing fine.
>
> Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
> Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
> Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
> OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
> Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
>

> Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
> Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
> stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
> runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
> all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
> reported:
>
> Error writing to file
> '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
> [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
> (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
>
> Ideas?

What did you do that you think stopped the agent?

My guess is you stopped some other agent in some other directory based
on your path.

cd $OMA_HOME/bin -- go to the home directory
pwd -- verify you are really there
../emctl stop agent
../emctl status agent

On my list of egregious Oracle design errors has been that they put
emctl into every home directory they could spell. ;-)
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
From: EdStevens on

hpuxrac wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
> >
> > Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
> > 64bit. Runing fine.
> >
> > Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
> > Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
> > Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> > Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
> > OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
> > Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
> >

> > Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
> > Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
> > stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
> > runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
> > all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
> > reported:
> >
> > Error writing to file
> > '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
> > [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
> > (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> A permissions problem perhaps?
>
> Do you have any other running oracle processes that might have this
> library allocated?
>
> On hpux you use the fuser command to see what other processes have a
> file allocated/open.
>
> What's the equivalent to do on aix? There's got to be a way to
> identify what processes are using the file

While I had not heard of it before, this is a fuser command on this AIX
system. Results are:

$> fuser -V /db00/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraIn>
/db00/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so:

$>

This result was the same before actually starting runInstaller, and
again when it was paused to report the problem. The 'verbose' (-V)
ouput (as opposed to th default 'non-verbose') was that extra line feed.

From: EdStevens on

DA Morgan wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > Platform: AIX Version 5.3 patch/maintenance level 05
> >
> > Installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 -
> > 64bit. Runing fine.
> >
> > Installed agent in it's own oracle home:
> > Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0.
> > Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> > Agent Version : 10.2.0.1.0
> > OMS Version : 10.2.0.2.0
> > Protocol Version : 10.2.0.0.0
> >

> > Trying to apply patchset 3731593 to bring agent up to 10.2.0.2.0.
> > Logon as 'oracle', set ORACLE_HOME to the agent's home, manually
> > stopped the agent, navigated to <patchset>/Disk1 and fired up
> > runInstaller. OUI came up, ran some checks and asked some questions,
> > all as expected, confirmed the components to install, but then
> > reported:
> >
> > Error writing to file
> > '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so'
> > [/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so
> > (Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.)]
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> What did you do that you think stopped the agent?
>
> My guess is you stopped some other agent in some other directory based
> on your path.
>
> cd $OMA_HOME/bin -- go to the home directory
> pwd -- verify you are really there
> ./emctl stop agent
> ./emctl status agent
>
> On my list of egregious Oracle design errors has been that they put
> emctl into every home directory they could spell. ;-)
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan(a)x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

Good point about the 'extra' emctl files laying around. But even when
insureing against that problem as you detailed, the results were the
same.