From: mook johnson on
Gents,

I had the HVAC guy out for my annual cleaning and he suggested I get a
kickstart for my outside compressor. The AC is working fine but he said it
would increase the life of it and draw less electricity.

Heres the link.

http://www.kickstartoem.com/

Are these just PFC capacitors or is there something else going on. Looks
like there is a relay in there and it appears it only engaged when the
compressor first turns on. Then it switches out for the run capacitor to
take over.

Don't really see how that will save that much electricity.

Is this just a gimmick or am I missing something?

From: hamilton on
On 8/1/2010 7:51 AM, mook johnson wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I had the HVAC guy out for my annual cleaning and he suggested I get a
> kickstart for my outside compressor. The AC is working fine but he said it
> would increase the life of it and draw less electricity.
>
> Heres the link.
>
> http://www.kickstartoem.com/
>

> Are these just PFC capacitors or is there something else going on. Looks
> like there is a relay in there and it appears it only engaged when the
> compressor first turns on. Then it switches out for the run capacitor to
> take over.
>
> Don't really see how that will save that much electricity.
>
> Is this just a gimmick or am I missing something?

Hmmm, the only Google hit for "Mechanical Potential Relay" is from:

http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/MPR1%20&%205%20Product%20Sheet.pdf

The label on the two products are not the same, but they look the same
and they have the same function.!!!

Makes you wonder.....

hamilton

From: hamilton on
On 8/1/2010 7:51 AM, mook johnson wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I had the HVAC guy out for my annual cleaning and he suggested I get a
> kickstart for my outside compressor. The AC is working fine but he said it
> would increase the life of it and draw less electricity.
>
> Heres the link.
>
> http://www.kickstartoem.com/
>

> Are these just PFC capacitors or is there something else going on. Looks
> like there is a relay in there and it appears it only engaged when the
> compressor first turns on. Then it switches out for the run capacitor to
> take over.
>
> Don't really see how that will save that much electricity.
>
> Is this just a gimmick or am I missing something?

Google found lots of people that want to see the same product:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Mechanical+Potential+Relay%22

But have not found a true discription.

From: Sjouke Burry on
mook johnson wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I had the HVAC guy out for my annual cleaning and he suggested I get a
> kickstart for my outside compressor. The AC is working fine but he said it
> would increase the life of it and draw less electricity.
>
> Heres the link.
>
> http://www.kickstartoem.com/
>

> Are these just PFC capacitors or is there something else going on. Looks
> like there is a relay in there and it appears it only engaged when the
> compressor first turns on. Then it switches out for the run capacitor to
> take over.
>
> Don't really see how that will save that much electricity.
>
> Is this just a gimmick or am I missing something?

I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn, wanne buy it??(real cheap).
From: Jamie on
mook johnson wrote:
> Gents,
>
> I had the HVAC guy out for my annual cleaning and he suggested I get a
> kickstart for my outside compressor. The AC is working fine but he said it
> would increase the life of it and draw less electricity.
>
> Heres the link.
>
> http://www.kickstartoem.com/
>

> Are these just PFC capacitors or is there something else going on. Looks
> like there is a relay in there and it appears it only engaged when the
> compressor first turns on. Then it switches out for the run capacitor to
> take over.
>
> Don't really see how that will save that much electricity.
>
> Is this just a gimmick or am I missing something?

Caps get weak on those things, It maybe starting but could be
dragging the line on start. They don't cost much.. replace it.