From: techstop on
Hi there. I have a problem with email alerts not showing the proper title for
added, modified, deleted items etc. Here is what the alerts currently look
like;

Item ID111 was modified by John Doe at 5/10/2006 1:42 PM.

Item ID111 is The list is a links list that contains hyperlinks to our
document management system documents. The columns include two lookups,
hyperlink and description and date etc.

How can I get the alert to show;

2007 Budget modified by John Doe at 5/10/2006 1:42 PM.

instead? (where 2007 Budget is the description of the hyperlink in the list)

Item ID111 is meaningless, and I don't even know where WSS gets this from as
it is not a column in the list. I have looked at the XML templates for
alerts, and it is the default code;

<GetVar Name="ItemNamePart"/>
<HTML> was added by </HTML> etc....

I don't know how to fix this issue, any suggestions?

From: techstop on
Sorry for the double post, the first time I clicked post I got an error
saying "your post has not been processed" or something to that effect.

From: Todd Klindt [MVP] on
I think you're out of luck. There is very little that you can customize for
Alerts in v2. The WSS SDK has some information on modifying the alerts.
The files involved are NotifItem.xml, NotifListHdr.xml, NotifSiteFtr.xml,
and NotifSiteHdr.xml if you want to do some searching around on the
Internet.

tk

From: techstop on
Thanks Todd. See the end of my question, when I refer to XML templates, I was
talking about NotifItem.xml. That's where this code comes from;

GetVar Name="ItemNamePart"/>
<HTML> was added by </HTML>

The problem is that the ItemNamePart seems to be the only identifier for an
item, you can't specify which column or attribute you want to use. I have
since found out in the MSDN library that ItemID is a property of the SPAlert
class which identifies the list item to which an alert applies. It seems odd
that this would refer to some arbitrary number rather than a column which is
used. Other lists produce meaningful alerts, ie. we have a news list that
provides alerts such as;

"New staff starting in finance was added by Jane Doe....."