From: Michael Mattias on
"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
> In the brave new world of contract programming, unreasonable assignments
> are semi-common.
> I was once assigned to write a new program from scratch in a language (VB)
> I barely knew...

Pray, how on earth were you selected as the contractor?

And why on earth did you - as a professional contractor - accept such an
assignment?

> I've seen worse, for example people assigned to work on huge
> mission-critical mainframe assembly language programs with two weeks'
> training in Cobol
> and no clue about assembly language on any machine....

Worse yet: someone who does know the 'language product(s) of choice'
extremely well, but is clueless about the application.

I ran into this about ten years ago. I was doing some mapping of ANSI EDI
data (that's about 70% of what I do) for a client in Janesville WI. Part of
this mapping required an application run against an ERP system's database,
and since I was not (and still am not) familiar with the client's "language
product of choice" (Microsoft Visual BASIC) and at that time not any good
with Oracle/SQL, another contractor (from a 'major brand name consulting
firm in Wisconsin') was engaged to create that application.

I laid out for him what I wanted... simple text file containing five or six
delimited columns of data extracted from the ERP system's database, and the
conditions under which a record was to appear in that file. I would then map
that data into fully-enveloped ANSI X12 transaction sets. Simple, yes?

Well, this "consultant" ( a misuse of the word if ever there was one) took
it upon himself to try to map the data to ANSI himself. He had great
difficulty (like, that was a surprise?). But he did this without telling
anyone.

Three weeks later, the project was due; and I mean DUE. I had to tell the
client I was waiting on the required input, but once I had it I could map
the data in an afternoon. The other consultant was out that day, so I was
asked to look at his 'work product to date' and see if I could use what he
had and maybe make something out of what was done. (Did I mention, this
project was REALLY DUE?) .

DISASTER! Not only had the 'consultant' not been able to map the ANSI data,
he had not even completed the extraction of the required data from the ERP
database!

About 4:00 PM I sat down with the client's 'database guys' (employees of
client) who both knew Oracle pretty well, but did not know the application.
I showed them the text file I had orginally asked for, the tables in the
database where the data were located, and asked if they could create the
file using Oracle tools and utilities. They said they thought so .. so they
went off to play with the database, whilst I created the mapping code based
on their ability to create that input.

They succeeded in creating the data. I succeeded in creating the ANSI ASC
X12 output. The required ANSI document was sent to the partner about 8:00
PM.

Three weeks of consultant fees totally wasted by the client! I see things
like this and it drives me nuts: just like with lawyers, you get a couple of
bad apples and we ("real" consultants) ALL look bad.

If I can accomplish one thing before I go thru that final checkout line, I
will see contractors and consultants regarded as true professionals -
because we have EARNED that respect.

So, um, Robert..... let's not accept any more contractor assignments for
which are not qualified, OK?

--
Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.

PS: The true happy ending: the consulting firm who supplied the other
contractor refunded all fees.

From: Robert on
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:36:16 -0500, "Michael Mattias" <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:

>"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
>> In the brave new world of contract programming, unreasonable assignments
>> are semi-common.
>> I was once assigned to write a new program from scratch in a language (VB)
>> I barely knew...
>
>Pray, how on earth were you selected as the contractor?

The usual way -- for Cobol and SQL skills. Employers are overly selective during the
hiring phase. Once a contractor is on board, that goes out the window; the only thing that
counts is availability.

"We need this program written in three days."
"So get one of those VB programmers to write it."
"They're busy on other assignments. You're the only one available."
"But I don't know VB well enough to write it."
"If you can't do it, we'll find someone who can."
"You just said no one else was available."
"We'll hire your replacement."

>And why on earth did you - as a professional contractor - accept such an
>assignment?

They didn't ASK whether I wanted to do it. They said get it done or else.

>> I've seen worse, for example people assigned to work on huge
>> mission-critical mainframe assembly language programs with two weeks'
>> training in Cobol
>> and no clue about assembly language on any machine....
>
>Worse yet: someone who does know the 'language product(s) of choice'
>extremely well, but is clueless about the application.

Understanding the application is the analyst's job.

>I ran into this about ten years ago. I was doing some mapping of ANSI EDI
>data (that's about 70% of what I do) for a client in Janesville WI. Part of
>this mapping required an application run against an ERP system's database,
>and since I was not (and still am not) familiar with the client's "language
>product of choice" (Microsoft Visual BASIC) and at that time not any good
>with Oracle/SQL, another contractor (from a 'major brand name consulting
>firm in Wisconsin') was engaged to create that application.
>
>I laid out for him what I wanted... simple text file containing five or six
>delimited columns of data extracted from the ERP system's database, and the
>conditions under which a record was to appear in that file. I would then map
>that data into fully-enveloped ANSI X12 transaction sets. Simple, yes?

Yes. Sounds like a half-hour job.

>Well, this "consultant" ( a misuse of the word if ever there was one) took
>it upon himself to try to map the data to ANSI himself. He had great
>difficulty (like, that was a surprise?). But he did this without telling
>anyone.

That's not easy, unless he had third-party software to format EDI.

>Three weeks later, the project was due; and I mean DUE. I had to tell the
>client I was waiting on the required input, but once I had it I could map
>the data in an afternoon. The other consultant was out that day, so I was
>asked to look at his 'work product to date' and see if I could use what he
>had and maybe make something out of what was done. (Did I mention, this
>project was REALLY DUE?) .
>
>DISASTER! Not only had the 'consultant' not been able to map the ANSI data,
>he had not even completed the extraction of the required data from the ERP
>database!
>
>About 4:00 PM I sat down with the client's 'database guys' (employees of
>client) who both knew Oracle pretty well, but did not know the application.
>I showed them the text file I had orginally asked for, the tables in the
>database where the data were located, and asked if they could create the
>file using Oracle tools and utilities. They said they thought so .. so they
>went off to play with the database, whilst I created the mapping code based
>on their ability to create that input.

There's no need for tools and utilities. It can be done in straight SQL.

>They succeeded in creating the data. I succeeded in creating the ANSI ASC
>X12 output. The required ANSI document was sent to the partner about 8:00
>PM.
>
>Three weeks of consultant fees totally wasted by the client! I see things
>like this and it drives me nuts: just like with lawyers, you get a couple of
>bad apples and we ("real" consultants) ALL look bad.

Sounds like bad management. There should have been milestones. For such a simple task, two
day milestones sounds about right.

>If I can accomplish one thing before I go thru that final checkout line, I
>will see contractors and consultants regarded as true professionals -
>because we have EARNED that respect.

You're pissing into a gale force wind. The contracting scene is full of low-paid
foreigners willing to try anything, and having NO bargaining power. Clients expect low
productivity and quality. They don't care because three contractors cost less than one
'professional'. A big plus is the fact they don't talk back, don't point out management
mistakes in public (you should hear what they say in private.)

>So, um, Robert..... let's not accept any more contractor assignments for
>which are not qualified, OK?

If I refused to do taks for which I'm not qualified, I'd be looking for a new job every
month or two.

What's more difficult is following instructions to do things WRONG in an area where I'm
MORE knowledgable than the boss. This occurs often in version control, which is my
specialty. Managers often want simple-minded solutions based how they did it with flat
files before they got version control. 'All ya gotta do is copy uncontrolled files over
controlled ones. What's so hard about that?' When I diplomatically try to explain version
control was created to STOP such abuse, it's like talking to the wall. Later, when they
learn changes were overwritten, they say 'See, I told you the version control doesn't
work. We even had an expert move the code.'

From: Anonymous on
In article <vgk494tjukl2l71smc3qd2bsjg1kk2kqau(a)4ax.com>,
Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:36:16 -0500, "Michael Mattias"
><mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>Pray, how on earth were you selected as the contractor?
>
>The usual way -- for Cobol and SQL skills. Employers are overly
>selective during the
>hiring phase. Once a contractor is on board, that goes out the window;
>the only thing that
>counts is availability.
>
>"We need this program written in three days."
>"So get one of those VB programmers to write it."
>"They're busy on other assignments. You're the only one available."
>"But I don't know VB well enough to write it."
>"If you can't do it, we'll find someone who can."
>"You just said no one else was available."
>"We'll hire your replacement."

'Now let me get this straight... you honestly believe that in three days
you can review resumes, call pimps, interview consultants, weed out the
deadwood, agree on a rate, get the guy through Security, assign him a
logon ID and still have time to code the program?

'I hope you're very happy with whoever will be working with you on this...
because it isn't going to be me.'

>>And why on earth did you - as a professional contractor - accept such an
>>assignment?
>
>They didn't ASK whether I wanted to do it. They said get it done or else.

See above. In my experience it was either a hollow threat or a place I
did not want to work.

[snip]

>>Three weeks of consultant fees totally wasted by the client! I see things
>>like this and it drives me nuts: just like with lawyers, you get a couple of
>>bad apples and we ("real" consultants) ALL look bad.
>
>Sounds like bad management.

I've been a consultant/contractor/hired gun for a few decades now, Mr
Wagner, and I've yet to get a gig at a place which had what I would call
'good management'... the nature of my work, perhaps, in the same way that
physicians frequently see a lot more sick people than healthy ones.

[snip]

>>So, um, Robert..... let's not accept any more contractor assignments for
>>which are not qualified, OK?
>
>If I refused to do taks for which I'm not qualified, I'd be looking for
>a new job every month or two.

Sometimes, Mr Wagner, it works out that one winds up having what one is
willing to accept. Our experiences, of course, may be different... I've
been asked to do stuff ('we need it yesterday!') for which I did not have
appropriate experience and my response has been 'I have stated,
unambiguously and explicitly, that this does not fall within my existing
skill-set; in order to get it done I will need (time/resources). If those
cannot be made available for me then I must, in all good conscience,
refuse the task just as a plumber would have to refuse a job-order for
rewiring a generator.'

Word gets around.

DD

From: Robert on
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:24:38 -0700 (PDT), taoxianfeng(a)gmail.com wrote:

>On 8��1��, �ȫe8:44, "Frank Swarbrick" <Frank.Swarbr...(a)efirstbank.com>
>wrote:
>> Might I also suggest to the original poster that you post this to the
>> comp.databases.ibm-db2 newsgroup? I just can't see why a Cobol solution
>> should be required. Since this is DB2 to DB2, there should be a DB2 only
>> resolution.
>>
>> In my opinion, of course!
>>
>> Frank
>
>Well,that's a good idea since the essential result is some records are
>deleted from DB.
>It also reminds that's even possible to do it with some DB2 procedure.
>
>I just need some time to put my mind in order and conclude your posts.

You need only a tool that can run SQL, such as SQLPlus or TOAD.

delete from a where customer_id not in (select customer_id from b);
From: Bill Gunshannon on
Robert <no(a)e.mail> writes:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:36:16 -0500, "Michael Mattias" <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:
>
>>"Robert" <no(a)e.mail> wrote in message
>>> In the brave new world of contract programming, unreasonable assignments
>>> are semi-common.
>>> I was once assigned to write a new program from scratch in a language (VB)
>>> I barely knew...
>>
>>Pray, how on earth were you selected as the contractor?
>
> The usual way -- for Cobol and SQL skills. Employers are overly selective during the
> hiring phase. Once a contractor is on board, that goes out the window; the only thing that
> counts is availability.
>
> "We need this program written in three days."
> "So get one of those VB programmers to write it."
> "They're busy on other assignments. You're the only one available."
> "But I don't know VB well enough to write it."
> "If you can't do it, we'll find someone who can."
> "You just said no one else was available."
> "We'll hire your replacement."
>
>>And why on earth did you - as a professional contractor - accept such an
>>assignment?
>
> They didn't ASK whether I wanted to do it. They said get it done or else.

And you willingly worked for this flunky outfit?

bill

billg999(a)cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>