From: Jim on
Hi,

This happened recently, all the ports on my Thinkpad (running Windows XP SP3
with latest patches) are blocked somehow, I couldn't telnet to this box from
another machine in LAN on any open port (80, 445, etc). I can confirm the
ports are open by telnet to 127.0.0.1 locally. Windows Firewall is turned
off, its service stopped. I'm fairly sure no other firewall is running (none
that I can recognize anyway). Outgoing connection is fine, I can browse
Internet or access file shares on other machines in LAN.

Any idea how to debug this problem? Is there a tool I can use to find out
which program is blocking the request?

Thanks
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Computer's Ports are always Open ready to be used by applications.
Firewalls Blocks the access to the ports. If the access is not blocked we
call it that the port is open.
It seems thta something in the way you use the telnet is Not configured
correctly.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?Smlt?= <Jim(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> This happened recently, all the ports on my Thinkpad (running
> Windows XP SP3 with latest patches) are blocked somehow, I
> couldn't telnet to this box from another machine in LAN on any
> open port (80, 445, etc). I can confirm the ports are open by
> telnet to 127.0.0.1 locally. Windows Firewall is turned off, its
> service stopped. I'm fairly sure no other firewall is running
> (none that I can recognize anyway). Outgoing connection is fine, I
> can browse Internet or access file shares on other machines in
> LAN.
>
> Any idea how to debug this problem? Is there a tool I can use to
> find out which program is blocking the request?
>
> Thanks

By chance do you have the Cisco VPN Client installed on your machine?
It includes a stateful firewall that is enabled even when the VPN
client isn't. If so, fire up the client and check the "Options" menu
and disable it.

HTH,
John

Pages: 1
Prev: vpn
Next: IE 7 & 8 can't connect to secure sites