From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <dorayme-F40CCD.092801050
62010(a)news.albasani.net>, Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:28:01, dorayme
<dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> posted:

XP CIWAH, CLJ; FU not set. For CLJ, <FAQENTRY> later.

>One of the limitations of images is the fixed size. There are
>ways to have the size change with the user font size setting but
>it is not great in IE (I am referring to em dimensioning the
>image) so I suggest you consider

The following web page source shows, in Chrome 5.0, conventional text
characters (ABC DEF) on each side of an equation "X = - root Y", where
both the text and the equation scale together with Ctrl-Mousewheel.
With a bit more effort in the code - I have not yet *learned* canvas
test-sizing & positioning - the numbers in it could be calculated.

In Safari 4.0.5, the equation font size does not scale as desired with
the present code.
In Opera 10.10, the equation is blank but its box scales.
In Firefox 3.0.19, the equation is blank and its box does not scale.
In MS IE 8, there is no canvas.

Later Firefox and Opera can draw text on canvas; but they are not on
this PC.

ABC<canvas ID=X></canvas>DEF

<script>
Rag = document.getElementById("X")
Rag.style.background = "aqua"
CX = Rag.getContext("2d")
Rag.height = 20 ; Rag.width = 45
CX.fillStyle = "black"
CX.textBaseline = "top"
CX.font = "0.9em sans-serif"
CX.fillText("X = -\u221AY", 0, 6)
</script>

It will be possible to turn the JavaScript into a function call
DrawEqn(ID, string) and a function definition. It should be possible
to put the calling script directly after the canvas; likewise to
construct and insert the drawn canvas dynamically.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
From: dorayme on
In article
<EWlgzvHgt9CMFwqz(a)invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid>,
Dr J R Stockton <reply1022(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> dorayme posted:
>

> >One of the limitations of images is the fixed size. There are
> >ways to have the size change with the user font size setting but
> >it is not great in IE (I am referring to em dimensioning the
> >image) so I suggest you consider
>
> The following web page source shows,

What webpage?

--
dorayme
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> The following web page source shows, in Chrome 5.0, conventional text
> characters (ABC DEF) on each side of an equation "X = - root Y", where
> both the text and the equation scale together with Ctrl-Mousewheel.

I don't see any web page mentioned, and I don't see the point of the
exercise.

> CX.fillText("X = -\u221AY", 0, 6)

If we are still discussing alt text for equations, as the Subject line
suggests, I wonder why you use the Ascii hyphen (called "hyphen-minus" in
Unicode, to emphasize its ambiguous semantics) in the role of a minus sign.
Surely the minus sign U+2212 would be semantically much more adequate,
visually much better, easily distinguishable, and also better data for
speech synthesis.

If you expect U+221A to be rendered properly by the browser, surely it can
handle U+2212 as well.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <dorayme-899748.112557070
62010(a)news.albasani.net>, Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:25:57, dorayme
<dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> posted:

>In article
><EWlgzvHgt9CMFwqz(a)invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid>,
> Dr J R Stockton <reply1022(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> dorayme posted:
>>

>> >One of the limitations of images is the fixed size. There are
>> >ways to have the size change with the user font size setting but
>> >it is not great in IE (I am referring to em dimensioning the
>> >image) so I suggest you consider
>>
>> The following web page source shows,
>
>What webpage?

Had you read the rest of the article you would have seen it following ;

ABC<canvas ID=X></canvas>DEF
</script>

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html message <z2aPn.17165$if1.1774(a)uut
iset.elisa.fi>, Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:31:51, Jukka K. Korpela
<jkorpela(a)cs.tut.fi> posted:

>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>
>> The following web page source shows, in Chrome 5.0, conventional text
>> characters (ABC DEF) on each side of an equation "X = - root Y", where
>> both the text and the equation scale together with Ctrl-Mousewheel.
>
>I don't see any web page mentioned, and I don't see the point of the
>exercise.

If my intention has been to specify an actual Web page, I would not have
used the word "source" there.

>> CX.fillText("X = -\u221AY", 0, 6)
>
>If we are still discussing alt text for equations, as the Subject line
>suggests, I wonder why you use the Ascii hyphen (called "hyphen-minus"
>in Unicode, to emphasize its ambiguous semantics) in the role of a
>minus sign. Surely the minus sign U+2212 would be semantically much
>more adequate, visually much better, easily distinguishable, and also
>better data for speech synthesis.
>
>If you expect U+221A to be rendered properly by the browser, surely it
>can handle U+2212 as well.

Your remarks are valid but valueless.