From: J.J.Cale on
The good news is the behavior is the same in IE6 and Firefox3.5.
The bad news: When I try to drag the image, after 2 pixels I get the
'no drag' cursor and the drag stops. If I then release the mouse
button no drag occurs. BUT if I bring the cursor back over the image
(without a mousedown) the image is "captured" and I am able to drag
it and drop it where I want. Could someone please correct my code?

the example is at www.ezphoto.co.il/test/puzzle/test1.htm

TIA Jim
From: David Mark on
On Jun 7, 12:58 pm, "J.J.Cale" <ji...(a)012.net.il> wrote:
> The good news is the behavior is the same in IE6 and Firefox3.5.

Yes, that is good news. :)

> The bad news: When I try to drag the image, after 2 pixels I get the
> 'no drag' cursor and the drag stops.

No drop cursor? Also, often abused as a "no click" cursor.

> If I then release the mouse
> button no drag occurs. BUT if I bring the cursor back over the image
> (without a mousedown)  the image is "captured" and I am able to drag
> it and drop it where I want. Could someone please correct my code?

Possibly.

> the example is atwww.ezphoto.co.il/test/puzzle/test1.htm

Good luck!
From: nick on
On Jun 7, 12:58 pm, "J.J.Cale" <ji...(a)012.net.il> wrote:
> The good news is the behavior is the same in IE6 and Firefox3.5.
> The bad news: When I try to drag the image, after 2 pixels I get the
> 'no drag' cursor and the drag stops. If I then release the mouse
> button no drag occurs. BUT if I bring the cursor back over the image
> (without a mousedown)  the image is "captured" and I am able to drag
> it and drop it where I want. Could someone please correct my code?
>
> the example is atwww.ezphoto.co.il/test/puzzle/test1.htm
>
> TIA Jim

Jim,

- return false from the event handlers so the normal event handling
won't take place.

- listen for 'mouse up' events on the holder or body, not the image.
The mouse cursor may be outside of the image when the button is
released.

http://jsbin.com/ojufi/edit
From: J.J.Cale on
On Jun 9, 5:06 am, nick <nick...(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 12:58 pm, "J.J.Cale" <ji...(a)012.net.il> wrote:
>
> > The good news is the behavior is the same in IE6 and Firefox3.5.
> > The bad news: When I try to drag the image, after 2 pixels I get the
> > 'no drag' cursor and the drag stops. If I then release the mouse
> > button no drag occurs. BUT if I bring the cursor back over the image
> > (without a mousedown)  the image is "captured" and I am able to drag
> > it and drop it where I want. Could someone please correct my code?
>
> > the example is atwww.ezphoto.co.il/test/puzzle/test1.htm
>
> > TIA Jim
>
> Jim,
>
> - return false from the event handlers so the normal event handling
>   won't take place.
>
> - listen for 'mouse up' events on the holder or body, not the image.
>   The mouse cursor may be outside of the image when the button is
>   released.
>
> http://jsbin.com/ojufi/edit

Nick thank you. In the mousemove handler I added "if
(e.preventDefault) preventDefault();" for FF and "return false;" for
IE and both are dragging nicely. Are e.cancelBubble and e.returnValue
still used in IE? I only have IE6 to test on. What will IE8 do with
this code?
Jim
From: David Mark on
On Jun 9, 11:27 am, "J.J.Cale" <ji...(a)012.net.il> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 5:06 am, nick <nick...(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 7, 12:58 pm, "J.J.Cale" <ji...(a)012.net.il> wrote:
>
> > > The good news is the behavior is the same in IE6 and Firefox3.5.
> > > The bad news: When I try to drag the image, after 2 pixels I get the
> > > 'no drag' cursor and the drag stops. If I then release the mouse
> > > button no drag occurs. BUT if I bring the cursor back over the image
> > > (without a mousedown)  the image is "captured" and I am able to drag
> > > it and drop it where I want. Could someone please correct my code?
>
> > > the example is atwww.ezphoto.co.il/test/puzzle/test1.htm
>
> > > TIA Jim
>
> > Jim,
>
> > - return false from the event handlers so the normal event handling
> >   won't take place.
>
> > - listen for 'mouse up' events on the holder or body, not the image.
> >   The mouse cursor may be outside of the image when the button is
> >   released.
>
> >http://jsbin.com/ojufi/edit
>
> Nick thank you. In the mousemove handler I added "if
> (e.preventDefault) preventDefault();" for FF and "return false;" for
> IE and both are dragging nicely.

You are mixing and matching DOM's. Forget returning false unless you
are using DOM0.

> Are e.cancelBubble and e.returnValue

Canceling bubbling (which should almost never be done) has nothing to
do with this. As for returnValue, that's preventDefault's opposite
number.

> still used in IE?

Yes they are.

> I only have IE6 to test on. What will IE8 do with
> this code?

If you get this part of it working in IE6, IE8 will be fine. If you
use proper feature detection, IE9 should be fine as well.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Alt text for equations
Next: qooxlisp live