From: Karl E. Peterson on
Nobody wrote:
> "Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am using the API to open the color dialog.
>> I would like to also open my own color dialog along side.
>
> There is no simple solution that would look professional, or flicker-free.
> What you want to do, if I understand correctly, is mimic those who customize
> some dialogs, such as adding a print preview window to the Print dialog. To
> do that, subclassing or hooking is required, and a lot of code. Try searching
> the web or groups for "vb WM_INITDIALOG color dialog".

It's really not that bad, especially if the goal is what you suggest.
I had a friend doing exactly that with VB3. Umm, correction. Just
found the code. It was VB4.

http://www.arcatapet.net/vb.cfm

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: MikeD on

> I am adding a sliver beneath the color dialog to allow direct selection of
> web safe colors. i.e. named colors.

> Make sense?

No, still can't really say it makes sense. How 'bout this? Provide a
listbox on your form that has those web-safe/named colors (I didn't even
know there were only certain colors "safe" for use on a web page). If the
user wants to use one of those, they can pick it from the listbox.
Otherwise, only THEN show the color dialog to let them pick any color
(perhaps via a command button). That makes a LOT more sense to me than what
you're trying to do.

--
Mike

From: Dee Earley on
On 17/02/2010 23:23, MikeD wrote:
> I didn't even know there were only certain colors "safe" for use on a
> web page

Back ~10 years ago when 24+bit colour depth wasn't normal, there was a
safe set of "web safe" colours (presumably ones that are 8 bit)
I don't see any need for them nowadays though :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Mike Williams on
"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message

> Back ~10 years ago when 24+bit colour depth wasn't normal,
> there was a safe set of "web safe" colours (presumably ones
> that are 8 bit) I don't see any need for them nowadays though :)

They are more than just redundant, they are in fact on many systems the
opposite of what they were supposed to be. These days, as you have said,
almost nothing runs at 8 bit colour depth (not even mobile phones) and
almost all systems (certainly almost all Windows systems) run at either full
colour or 16 bit colour. In fact although most of them probably run at full
colour I reckon there are still quite a lot of sytems running at 16 bit
colour depth (I've come across many myself where the owner doesn't even know
about it, although Vista is fast reducing their numbers because Aero won't
run at 16 bit and most owners would certainly know about that because Vista
struggles like a fish out of water without Aero!). On such systems the 16
bits are typically allocated so that red and blue get 5 bits each and green
gets 6 bits, resulting in 32 levels of red and blue and 64 levels of green.
If you check which specific values are available for R, G and B on most 16
bit systems and compare them to the so called "web safe" values of 00, 33,
66, 99, CC and FF you will find that only 00 and FF are available and that
therefore of the 216 so called "web safe" colour values only 8 of them are
actually available on 16 bit Windows systems!

Mike

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Using DIR() to read a directory.