From: GB3 on
Thanks, Rick.
That would work. But the issue there (a small one, granted) is that that
would require my copying and pasting that formula multiple times, rather than
simply extending the formula down the length of the spreadsheet. I was
hoping to be able to write a single formula (with nested IFs as would seem to
be necessary) that would allow me to write that same formula in every row of
the spreadsheet.

From: Rick Rothstein on
He's comparing pairs of rows, not individual rows. Rows 1 and 2 are being
compared, as a pair, separately from Rows 3 and 4, which are compared as
their own pair... Rows 2 and 3 are not linked in any way as they belong to
separate pairings.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Don Guillett on
Simply follow Ricks suggestion as presented in his post to you
Now select both G1 and G2 and copy that selection down as far as needed.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

From: Rick Rothstein on
No, you do not have to do them individually, over and over again... after
putting the formulas in the cells I indicated, select **both** cells
(G1:G2).... see the small, black square at the bottom right corner of the
selection? Click drag it down as far as you need to... the formulas will
adjust automatically. Alternately, you can select the two cells and press
Ctrl+C (or click Edit/Copy in the menu), then select **all** the blank cells
you want your formulas in and press Ctrl+V (or click Edit/Paste in the menu)
and get the same result.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: T. Valko on