From: ybS2okj on

My replies are inline;

"Fred S *****" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> hth,
>

> My daughter has a Netbook, which only uses wireless "b" or "G" and not "N"
> which (SEE original post) is what I have now and want to keep. Also, my
> daughter's LT doesn't have WPA2 either. She cannot connect as it is now.

It doesn't matter at all what she has. Her wireless card will work with "N"
router because router will be backwards compatible. Also, if she has SP2
(minimum requirement) on her Windows XP then SHE HAS WPA2 because this was
implemented in SP2 by Microsoft <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>.

> I don't want my regular connection to have both "G" and "N" enabled, I
> don't want a lower security setting to accommodate her machine except when
> she visits. When she leaves, I want to go back to my "good setup."

Your regualr connection has already got Both "G" and "N" enabled because
your router is backward compatible. Your setup will remain as it is except
that she will have a key on her laptop until you decide to change again.
You have said you don't want to change so there is no problem here.

> The router software lets you save and restore a configuration, so the idea
> is to make two of them and then simply restore the one I want whenever I
> want. It would be fast and efficient if it works.

It is very bad policy to constantly meddle with routers because you are
likely to forget the security issues and then you will be f***ed up. Leave
the router as it is; it is not something you keep changing all the time.

> So that's what this is all about - I think it should work but I don't know
> and that's why I'm asking here.

No it can't work. A router can have only one SSID and related credentials
going with it. You can't store two SSIDs in the router; It is not possible
unless something new comes out but it is unlikely because routers are left
alone; They are not something you keep changing like you change your
clothes after every shower.

> I need to know if I can create the second setup, use it with my own LT and
> have my daughter use it too. Be able to still use my shared drive and
> shared printer as before on BOTH setups. THEN, after she leaves, restore
> back to my original setup with "N" only and better security.

No you can't automatically but you can do it manually like the one you have
already set it up on your current system.

From: Fred S ***** "Fred on
hth,

Thanks again, but ...

My router is a Belkin Wireless "N" router and I have the settings set
for broadcasting "N" only - there are options for "N" and "G" and "B"
but mine is set for only "N" - PW or not, you can't connect to it unless
you have "N" and the security code.

I'm not talking about two setups saved in the ROUTER. My configuration
has a BACKUP feature that lets me "save" ALL my settings to my HDD. I
can later restore those settings using the RESTORE feature. The settings
are in a folder on my PC - not in the router. I can have as many
configurations (backed up) as I want and restore the desired one at any
time. Which is why I would like to do this.

I would do this manually - I hope I didn't imply automation for this. I
just want to change to a new setup five minutes before she wants to use
her computer. Then, a few days later, five minutes after she leaves, I
want to restore my other setup. Just a simple restore (with saved
setting from my HDD) on my router.

Rather than pursue that stuff, I know I can backup and restore different
settings - done it before. Can you advise if my network (PC Names,
shared and mapped drive, and shared printer) would be messed up with a
different setup? That's what I've not done before.

Fred

From: Fred S ***** "Fred on
Thanks to everyone who tried to assist.

I decided to just go forward with my plan and it works great!

I backed up (saved) my current setup which has very good security, is
set for Wireless "N" ONLY and Channel 11, WPA\WPA2 PW key, etc. etc.

I put a copy of this config in my Data\Network\Wireless\CURRENT folder.

NEXT - I created a NEW config by changing a number of settings - set a
new SSID, set Wireless 11b,g, and N, switched to channel 6, WPA PW key
(different key from above) etc. etc.

Saved (backup) this NEW config to the "Current folder" too.

Turned on my Laptop, LT found the NEW network, I connected to the NEW
one and checked the connect automatically box. My existing network is
already on the automatically connect listing. I set the order as desired.

Under each setup, my system network is fine, shared drives (mapped) and
a shared printer are there and work fine as intended.

All I need to do to use a changed wireless configuration is run my
router config link in my browser and login to the software, then RESTORE
the setup I want, hit apply and then logout. Takes less than a minute
and I have a completely different wireless configuration, both of which
are secure and solid.

Once again, thanks,

Fred

From: Lem on
Almost correct.

Wireless-N routers *are* compatible with Wireless-B and Wireless-G *but*
you must make sure that that you configure the router to enable that
functionality. For example, a typical Wireless-N router may be
configured as N, G, and B, B and G, N only, G only, or B only.

WPA2 capability depends on *both* software *and* hardware. Windows XP
added WPA2 software capability with update KB 893357 for Service Pack 2
(this update was included in Service Pack 3). If the netbook has SP3 or
SP2 plus KB 893357 and still can't access a WPA2 network, it's likely
that the wifi adapter hardware doesn't support it, although it's
possible that a firmware/driver update could add that capability. Some
older wifi adapters that can't do WPA2 may be able to use WPA-PSK (AES),
which is pretty much the same as WPA2 in terms of crackability. I have
a Linksys Wireless-G PC-Card that almost certainly antedates your
netbook and it implements WPA (AES) (but not WPA2).

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Fred S ***** "Fred on
Lem,

Thanks for your comments. I thought this was the case as my daughter
could not log on to my wireless connection as it was.

Hence, the reason for my Alternative Connection for temporary usage
during visits.

Creating backups of my original and the alternate configurations gives
me a fast and efficient way of enabling a connection for her when needed.

Fred