From: Fred S ***** "Fred on
Hi,

I have a Windows 7 desktop and a Win 7 laptop connected to a router
using cable internet service.

I have a Home Network which works fine. My network is setup with the
desktop using a Cat5 cable and the LT uses a Wireless "N" connection
with WPA/PSK Key security enabled.

I also have MAC address Access List set to ON - System seems secure.

I have saved these settings using the router's config program and can
easily restore it when needed.

I would like to create another setup, with much lower security, perhaps
a WEP config and the option to use Wireless G & N to accommodate
visitors and/or family members using their own laptops.

Can I just create a whole new configuration, assign a new SSID for it,
and save that setup and then switch over to it when needed for say a
weekend or so?

IF so, what if any precautions are needed?
Do I have to do anything with my current network and a mapped drive?

I'm not worried about not having my network drive available during this
time but I don't want to mess it up either.

Another possibility would be to change the security settings and add
wireless "G: for the current configuration, then do it all over again to
get back.

Please advise and any comments/help are appreciated.

Fred
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
MAC filter is Not really a security feature it is much lower the WEP. WEP is
Not very secure these days either.
At the basic you have to use WPA. http://www.ezlan.net/wlan_secure.html
Instead of the shaky concoction that you plan it is much better to get a
second Wireless Router.
For your purpose you can find a simple one for $30 or less.
Configure it like this, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Put your Wireless Router and Network as the secondary Network and secure the
Wireless with WPA or WPA2.
The first Network Wireless you can secure with WPA (so that leeches would
not use your connection).
When friends come give them the password. It takes a minute to change it
when ever you feel like there after.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Fred S ***** "Fred on
Jack,

Thanks for your suggestion but I don't want to get another router - I
really like my setup as it is now.

I agree WEP is not secure and I can use WPA or WPA2 BUT I need to know
if my original plan will work as a temporary configuration.

I will save my current settings (SSID, Sec codes, channel, etc etc.)
using the built in utility for save and restore.

I want to create a NEW SSID, different channel (or not?), change my
wireless from "N" to "G and N" and whatever else needed for my
daughter's netbook (does not have "N") and maybe not WPA2.

The idea is to switch to that when she arrives, then after she leaves,
restore my original setup.

My questions are;

Will this work?
Will my network and shared//mapped drive still behave the same under
BOTH setups?

Thanks, Fred

Then I will save that setup

From: ybS2okj on
Fred,

You are making things more complicated than they actually are. There is no
point in creating a new SSID or even to buy a new router. You should use
only one WPA2 key and when your friends come to your place, you should give
them that key to use on their laptop. Inserting a WPA2 key by your friends
is not difficult at all as long as they can see your Wireless on their
system. If they can see your wireless (this is when you have allowed your
router to broadcast the SSID), they should select it for connection and they
will get a prompt to enter the key. It is as simple as that.

If you don't trust your friends with the key then clearly you shouldn't
allow them to use your wireless connection at all no matter whether it is
the same SSID or not. You will always be tracked down by the IP address -
not by your SSID.

What exactly is the reason to have such a complicated arrangements?

hth

From: Fred S ***** "Fred on
hth,

Thanks for your comments but I like my current setup the way it is - it
is fairly secure and works great. I have a mapped network drive and a
shared printer - everything works great.

My daughter has a Netbook, which only uses wireless "b" or "G" and not
"N" which (SEE original post) is what I have now and want to keep. Also,
my daughter's LT doesn't have WPA2 either. She cannot connect as it is now.

It's not a matter of trust at all, it's for her convenience so that she
can use the wireless connection. Right now, I simply hook up an extra
Cat5 cable for her to connect but she is locked to that wire.

I don't want my regular connection to have both "G" and "N" enabled, I
don't want a lower security setting to accommodate her machine except
when she visits. When she leaves, I want to go back to my "good setup."

The router software lets you save and restore a configuration, so the
idea is to make two of them and then simply restore the one I want
whenever I want. It would be fast and efficient if it works.

So that's what this is all about - I think it should work but I don't
know and that's why I'm asking here.

I need to know if I can create the second setup, use it with my own LT
and have my daughter use it too. Be able to still use my shared drive
and shared printer as before on BOTH setups. THEN, after she leaves,
restore back to my original setup with "N" only and better security.

Hope this helps you see what I want to do.

Fred