From: Mark2149 on
I have an iMac 20", a version just prior to the present available
versions. I am doing photography that requires some color management.
The monitor on the iMac is notoriously unsuited for color management.
The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
proper monitor calibration. I have tried a couple of workarounds
(ColorEyes, Dark Adapt) that help some but do not really solve the
problem. Martin Evening's new book about Photoshop CS5 tells of facing
the same problem. He suggests nothing will help except getting a 2nd
monitor that does not suffer from excessive backlighting. I am
prepared to give serious consideration to doing just that,

I would guess that something like a 24" monitor would be right. I
would appreciate suggestions of monitors that would be suitable. There
seems to be a number available. How do you choose among them? Apple
has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
the help.
From: Fred McKenzie on
In article
<8359eccc-3b8d-4c9b-9263-ef88e32ce391(a)42g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
"Mark2149(a)cox.net" <Mark2149(a)cox.net> wrote:

> The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
> proper monitor calibration.

Mark-

My iMac is the first Intel 20" model. I wonder if you tried adjusting
your iMac's brightness with the f1 and f2 keys? That doesn't work on my
iMac, but does on a year-old Mac Pro.

Using a VGA adapter, an older Samsung 17" LCD monitor works OK as a
second screen. However it is showing its age, with the center slightly
brighter than the edges. That old monitor cost around $1000 when new,
but could be replaced today with a better unit for much less money.

You may find an external monitor that meets your needs. However, if you
are doing professional photo work, it might be worth it to go ahead and
get a Mac Pro with an Apple monitor (or two).

Fred
From: Martin Brown on
On 14/06/2010 03:47, Mark2149(a)cox.net wrote:
> I have an iMac 20", a version just prior to the present available
> versions. I am doing photography that requires some color management.
> The monitor on the iMac is notoriously unsuited for color management.
> The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
> proper monitor calibration. I have tried a couple of workarounds
> (ColorEyes, Dark Adapt) that help some but do not really solve the
> problem. Martin Evening's new book about Photoshop CS5 tells of facing
> the same problem. He suggests nothing will help except getting a 2nd
> monitor that does not suffer from excessive backlighting. I am
> prepared to give serious consideration to doing just that,
>
> I would guess that something like a 24" monitor would be right. I
> would appreciate suggestions of monitors that would be suitable. There
> seems to be a number available. How do you choose among them? Apple
> has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
> the help.

HP LP2475w is worth a look - it is one of a handful of IPS 24" displays
that span the boundary between professional no expense spared colour
managed monitors and cheap gaming never mind the quality feel the width
ones. The colour gamut on it is considerably wider than on TN LCDs.

Reviews sometimes complain of headaches from the brighter reds but I
suspect they are the ones who fail to adjust the display from its
factory default "shop display" mode (too saturated, too bright etc).

I am surprised the Apple display lacks adequate brightness adjustment
though. Apple kit is never cheap and it is a basic requirement.

Regards,
Martin Brown

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-14 07:06:13 +0100, Savageduck said:

> On 2010-06-13 19:47:47 -0700, "Mark2149(a)cox.net" <Mark2149(a)cox.net> said:
>
>> I have an iMac 20", a version just prior to the present available
>> versions. I am doing photography that requires some color management.
>> The monitor on the iMac is notoriously unsuited for color management.
>> The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
>> proper monitor calibration. I have tried a couple of workarounds
>> (ColorEyes, Dark Adapt) that help some but do not really solve the
>> problem. Martin Evening's new book about Photoshop CS5 tells of facing
>> the same problem. He suggests nothing will help except getting a 2nd
>> monitor that does not suffer from excessive backlighting. I am
>> prepared to give serious consideration to doing just that,
>>
>> I would guess that something like a 24" monitor would be right. I
>> would appreciate suggestions of monitors that would be suitable. There
>> seems to be a number available. How do you choose among them? Apple
>> has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
>> the help.
>
> Certainly any of the monitors you have mentioned and both the Apple Pro
> and Samsung monitors are also worth considering as add-ons.
>
> ...but first I would suggest you actually open the System Preferences
> on your Mac. Open the Displays panel, select color and go through the
> step by step calibration. Create a profile for the calibration you
> reach. I think you will be surprised at the difference between the
> Apple default and the calibration you end up with.
> It is quite simple to do and does not require any expertise other than
> your eyeball.
>
> Good luck.

When using System Preference for calibration be sure to select a Target
Gamma of 2.2 instead of the Apple default 1.8. IIRC Snow Leopard
changed the default to 2.2, which is the correct value for rendering
photos and video.

The calibration is best done as an admistrative user otherwise it is
very difficult to share the monitor profile between multiple users.
Check calibration again after a system restart, something odd happened
during my calibration using Leopard. Also be aware that some
viewing/editing software gets confused over display profiles when it
straddles two monitors.

--
Pete

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:05:13 +0100, in
<RolRn.97136$_84.92867(a)newsfe18.iad>, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 14/06/2010 03:47, Mark2149(a)cox.net wrote:
>> I have an iMac 20", a version just prior to the present available
>> versions. I am doing photography that requires some color management.
>> The monitor on the iMac is notoriously unsuited for color management.
>> The backlighting is too bright and cannot be be correctly adjusted for
>> proper monitor calibration. I have tried a couple of workarounds
>> (ColorEyes, Dark Adapt) that help some but do not really solve the
>> problem. Martin Evening's new book about Photoshop CS5 tells of facing
>> the same problem. He suggests nothing will help except getting a 2nd
>> monitor that does not suffer from excessive backlighting. I am
>> prepared to give serious consideration to doing just that,
>>
>> I would guess that something like a 24" monitor would be right. I
>> would appreciate suggestions of monitors that would be suitable. There
>> seems to be a number available. How do you choose among them? Apple
>> has a 24" model available, but so do HP, LaCie, and others. Thanks for
>> the help.
>
>HP LP2475w is worth a look - it is one of a handful of IPS 24" displays
>that span the boundary between professional no expense spared colour
>managed monitors and cheap gaming never mind the quality feel the width
>ones. The colour gamut on it is considerably wider than on TN LCDs.

2nd the motion for the HP LP2475W
Another excellent option is the NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi
Very good bargain option is the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams