From: RussellE on
On Feb 28, 9:47 pm, Patricia Shanahan <p...(a)acm.org> wrote:
> RussellE wrote:
>
> ...> The simplest way to represent natural numbers in this
> > system is to assume each natural number is an urelement.
> > This gives us the finite set of all natural numbers.

> How do you define the term "natural numbers"?

I define a natural number to be an urelement.
The set of all natural numbers is the set of all urelements.
This isn't the same definition as Peano's axoims or ZFC.
My natural numbers serve the same purpose as natural numbers
in these other systems. Natural numbers have an order.
I have a well ordering axiom.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count

From: Virgil on
In article
<45b1afa9-21f1-45a9-8cb8-48679accc446(a)k18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
RussellE <reasterly(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 9:47�pm, Patricia Shanahan <p...(a)acm.org> wrote:
> > RussellE wrote:
> >
> > ...> The simplest way to represent natural numbers in this
> > > system is to assume each natural number is an urelement.
> > > This gives us the finite set of all natural numbers.

> > How do you define the term "natural numbers"?
>

> I define a natural number to be an urelement.

And are all your urelements natural numbers? If not, you so called
definition is unusable.

> The set of all natural numbers is the set of all urelements.
> This isn't the same definition as Peano's axoims or ZFC.
> My natural numbers serve the same purpose as natural numbers
> in these other systems. Natural numbers have an order.
> I have a well ordering axiom.

But you do not have any arithmetic.
From: William Elliot on
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Virgil wrote:
>>> RussellE wrote:
>>>
>>> ...> The simplest way to represent natural numbers in this
>>>
>>> How do you define the term "natural numbers"?
>>
>> I define a natural number to be an urelement.
>
> And are all your urelements natural numbers? If not, you so called
> definition is unusable.

Even if all urelements are natural numbers, to call a finite set of
urelements the natural numbers is a misnomer. He needs another term
such as natural computer numbers, bounded natural numbers,
initial segment of natural numbers, minimus numbers.

>> The set of all natural numbers is the set of all urelements.
>> This isn't the same definition as Peano's axioms or ZFC.
>> My natural numbers serve the same purpose as natural numbers
>> in these other systems. Natural numbers have an order.
>> I have a well ordering axiom.

The natural numbers are also well ordered.

> But you do not have any arithmetic.

It will be worse than the arithmetic of the extended naturals.

From: Patricia Shanahan on
RussellE wrote:
> On Feb 28, 9:47 pm, Patricia Shanahan <p...(a)acm.org> wrote:
>> RussellE wrote:
>>
>> ...> The simplest way to represent natural numbers in this
>>> system is to assume each natural number is an urelement.
>>> This gives us the finite set of all natural numbers.
>>
>> How do you define the term "natural numbers"?
>

> I define a natural number to be an urelement.
> The set of all natural numbers is the set of all urelements.
> This isn't the same definition as Peano's axoims or ZFC.
> My natural numbers serve the same purpose as natural numbers
> in these other systems. Natural numbers have an order.
> I have a well ordering axiom.

In that case, I suggest you pick a different term, to avoid confusing
yourself and others.

If you had a combination of zero element and successor operation that
satisfied the Peano axioms, you could use the normal definitions of
natural number arithmetic and any theorem about natural numbers that has
been proved from the Peano axioms. That is how ZFC gets its arithmetic,
using the empty set as zero and the set containing only x as the
successor of x. Obviously, you cannot do that given the fact that your
numbers do not satisfy the Peano axioms.

If you go on using the term "natural numbers" you may fool yourself into
assuming that something is already defined or proved because it has been
defined or proved for systems satisfying the Peano axioms. If you want
arithmetic in your system, you will need to go back to the drawing board
to define it, and prove each theorem you want using only your
definitions, axioms, and any theorems you have already proved.

I suggest "Easterly numbers" as a placeholder. Similarly, you could use
"Easterly arithmetic" for the corresponding system of arithmetic
definitions and theorems. As you develop your definitions you may be
able to prove your numbers are isomorphic to some previously defined
system, and adopt the name of that system for them.

Patricia
From: Brian on
> You are virtually completely uninformed about how 'set' may be defined
> in certain ordinary set theories (which does not contradict that also
> we may take the basic intuitive notion of set to be undefined).
> MoeBlee

I have not seen this before. How is the word set defined in "certain
ordinary set theories"?