From: RussellE on
I searched for "ultrafinite set theory" and all
I found was a remark by Zermelo:
"The 'ultrafinite antinomies of set theory',
which the scientific reactionaries and
anti-mathematicians eagerly and delightedly
call on in their campaign ..."

I get the impression Zermelo didn't like
ultrafinitists.

There were some articles about Essenin-Volpin's
set theory as well as finite abelian groups.
I couldn't find an actual ultrafinite set thory.

So, I decided to come up with my own set theory.
I looked at the axioms of ZFC, but many of these
axioms are obviously inconsistent with any fixed
finite theory.

The axiom of pairing states if A and B are sets,
there exists a set with A and B as elements.
This allows the creation of arbitrarily large sets.
Given the sets: {0} and {1}
{{0}, {1}}
{{0}, {{0}, {1}}
etc.

Similarly, the powerset axiom assumes sets can
grow without limit.

Many set theories use FOL which is based on predicate
calculus which is based on propositional calculus. This
set theory will use propositional calculus.

There are four axioms:

1) The exists N urelements. Each urelement is
a Boolean variable.

2) A set is a N-tuple which assigns a truth value
to each urelement.

3) A function is N well formed Boolean expressions,
one for each urelement.

4) A proper class is a sequence of sets defined by an
initial set and a function.

Let N = 4. It is simple to show there are exactly
2^4 sets. There are 2^(2^4) possible Boolean
expressions with four variables. There can be no
more than 2^64 possible functions or 2^68 proper
classes. This theory is provably finite.

We can define simple mathematical objects with
this theory. Assuming N=4, the "natural" numbers
can be defined as the 16 possbile sets. Like
any set theory. we must define a method of
representing natural numbers. Assume we define
natural numbers as base 2 binary numbers.

Now, we can assign a hexadecimal digit to each set.
(d0,c0,b0,a0)=0, (d0,c0,b0,a1)=1, ... (d1,c1,b1,a1)=f.

A proper class can be represented by a sequence
of unique sets and a "first repeat" set. The first
repeat set uniquely determines the function that
generated the proper class.

Consider this sequence of sets:

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f

This is not a proper class because there is
no first repeat set. We haven't defined the
"successor" of set f. There are 16 functions
that will generate this sequence of sets.

We can arbitrarily define the successor of set f.
Assume we define 0 to be the successor of f.
This is the proper class of natural numbers:

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f,0

We now have the proper class of natural numbers
and a unique successor function. We can also
define addition and multiplication, but there
is a problem.

Most theories assume any two abitrarily large numbers
can added together. This isn't true in this set theory.
Addition is a binary operator. Since there are only
four variables, we must split the variables between
the two operands. There are functions to add 1-bit
with 3-bit numbers and functions to add two 2-bit numbers.

For example, there is a function to add any number
represented by variables A and B to any number
represented by variables C and D. To add 2+2:

(d1,c0,b1,a0) +> (d0,c1,b0,a0)

A similar function can be found for multiplication.

This simple theory shows the natural numbers can
be represented as a finite proper class, allows
the definition of a unique successor function,
and has functions capable of adding and multiplying
"small" natural numbers.

Does anyone see an obvious inconsistency in this theory?
One advantage of an ultrafinite theory is that it
should be straightfoward to prove the theory is
inconsistent.

I find it interesting this theory shows there can
be many possible successor functions. It is also
interesting to think it may be impossible to define
addition and multiplication for all pairs of natural
numbers.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count
From: MoeBlee on
On Feb 24, 7:52 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Many set theories use FOL which is based on predicate
> calculus which is based on propositional calculus. This
> set theory will use propositional calculus.
>
> There are four axioms:
>
> 1) The exists N urelements. Each urelement is
> a Boolean variable.

You just used predicate language (not just propositional).

Also, you haven't stated your language and primitives.

What is 'N'? What are 'urelements'? What is meant by 'N urelements'?
What is a 'Boolean variable'?

Without definitions, we need to take those as primitives, in which
case your axiom may as well be stated:

There exist x burblements. Each burblement is a goolean bairable.

> 2) A set is a N-tuple which assigns a truth value
> to each urelement.

What is a 'set'? What is an 'N-tuple'? What is 'assigns'? What is a
'truth-value'.

Might as well be stated:

A fret is an x-shoople which fursigns a loosh crabble to each
burblement.

> 3) A function is N well formed Boolean expressions,
> one for each urelement.

Might as well be stated:

A zumption is x krell dormed megressions flum for each burblement.

> 4) A proper class is a sequence of sets defined by an
> initial set and a function.

Might as well be stated:

A slopper trass is a peaquince of frets bemined by an orifal fret and
a zumption.

MoeBlee
From: RussellE on
On Feb 25, 9:03 am, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 7:52 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Many set theories use FOL which is based on predicate
> > calculus which is based on propositional calculus. This
> > set theory will use propositional calculus.
>
> > There are four axioms:
>
> > 1) The exists N urelements. Each urelement is
> > a Boolean variable.
>
> You just used predicate language (not just propositional).

I used a quantifier? I guess I did use the word "each".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicate_logic

> Also, you haven't stated your language and primitives.
>
> What is 'N'?

N is some number.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number

> What are 'urelements'?

An urelement is an object that can be a member
of a set, but is not itself a set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urelement

> What is meant by 'N urelements'?

This theory has a fixed number, N, of urelements.

> What is a 'Boolean variable'?

Its this thing a guy named George Boole invented.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra_(logic)

> Without definitions, we need to take those as primitives, in which
> case your axiom may as well be stated:
>
> There exist x burblements. Each burblement is a goolean bairable.

These axioms define four "primitives": urelement, set, function, and
proper class.

> > 2) A set is a N-tuple which assigns a truth value
> > to each urelement.
>
> What is a 'set'?

A set is an ordered list of assignments for
the Boolean variables defined by axiom 1.

Many set theories don't define set. Set is a primitive.
Of course, we can call them "fret" if you want.

> A fret is an x-shoople which fursigns a loosh crabble to each
> burblement.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count
From: William Elliot on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, RussellE wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:03�am, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 7:52�pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Many set theories use FOL which is based on predicate
>>> calculus which is based on propositional calculus. This
>>> set theory will use propositional calculus.
>>
>>> There are four axioms:
>>
>>> 1) The exists N urelements.

Huh? Do you mean "There exists"?

>>> Each urelement is a Boolean variable.

That's predicate calculus.
forall x, (x urelement -> x Boolean_variable)

> N is some number.

You could have a FOL with n constants, u_1,.. u_N
which can be considered as urelements (in the metalanguage).

> An urelement is an object that can be a member
> of a set, but is not itself a set.

What's an object? What is "a member of".

> This theory has a fixed number, N, of urelements.
>
>> What is a 'Boolean variable'?
>
> Its this thing a guy named George Boole invented.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra_(logic)
>
> These axioms define four "primitives": urelement, set, function, and
> proper class.
>
>>> 2) A set is a N-tuple which assigns a truth value
>>> to each urelement.
>>
>> What is a 'set'?
>
> A set is an ordered list of assignments for
> the Boolean variables defined by axiom 1.

What's an ordered list? What are assignments?

> Many set theories don't define set. Set is a primitive.

You however prefered to defined set by undefined terms.

For the object language, first pick your primitives. Then make
definitions in terms of the primitives. After you've done that,
then you may indicate in the meta-language some intended sematics
for the primitives.

----
From: MoeBlee on
On Feb 25, 6:57 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:03 am, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 24, 7:52 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Many set theories use FOL which is based on predicate
> > > calculus which is based on propositional calculus. This
> > > set theory will use propositional calculus.
>
> > > There are four axioms:
>
> > > 1) The exists N urelements. Each urelement is
> > > a Boolean variable.
>
> > You just used predicate language (not just propositional).
>
> I used a quantifier? I guess I did use the word "each".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicate_logic

You used 'there exists'.

> > Also, you haven't stated your language and primitives.
>
> > What is 'N'?
>
> N is some number.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number

> > What are 'urelements'?
>
> An urelement is an object that can be a member
> of a set, but is not itself a set.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urelement
>
> > What is meant by 'N urelements'?
>
> This theory has a fixed number, N, of urelements.
>
> > What is a 'Boolean variable'?
>
> Its this thing a guy named George Boole invented.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra_(logic)

Sorry, I thought I could make my point with you without bludgeoning
you over the head with the obvious. I'm not asking what are the
ordinary mathematical definitions of your terminology, but rather
whether you are taking this terminology as primitive or defined per
YOUR SYSTEM.

> > Without definitions, we need to take those as primitives, in which
> > case your axiom may as well be stated:

Oh, sorry, I did bludgeon you with it after all, and you still didn't
get it.

> > There exist x burblements. Each burblement is a goolean bairable.
>
> These axioms define four "primitives": urelement, set, function, and
> proper class.

Axioms don't define primitives (except possibly in an informal sense
of 'define').

So your four primitives are 'urelement, 'set', 'function', 'proper
class'? Any others?

> > > 2) A set is a N-tuple which assigns a truth value
> > > to each urelement.
>
> > What is a 'set'?
>
> A set is an ordered list of assignments for
> the Boolean variables defined by axiom 1.

Please, what is 'ordered', 'list', 'assignments', 'and defined by
axiom' in YOUR SYSTEM?

Don't answer that, please, since it's a rhetorical question.

It's apparent that you're clueless as to how axiomatic systems work.

> Many set theories don't define set. Set is a primitive.
> Of course, we can call them "fret" if you want.

You are virtually completely uninformed about how 'set' may be defined
in certain ordinary set theories (which does not contradict that also
we may take the basic intuitive notion of set to be undefined).

You have no system or theory you've presented at all. What you have is
merely a bunch of mathematical terminology thrown together.

If you wish to have an intelligible system, you'd do well to specify:

the logical system (are you using classical predicate logic with
identity?)
the entire list of non-logical primitives
the axioms written only with the primitives (or, written with symbols
properly defined from primitives)

MoeBlee