From: MoeBlee on
On Mar 2, 5:54 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 3:33 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
>
> > RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > > I have often been told there are no "consistent" ultrafinite set
> > > theories (UST).
>
> > Really?  Have you been told so here on the newsgroup?
>
> > Can you point me to a single post in which someone said that?
>
> People have said that in this newsgroup (it might have been me).

You "told" yourself then?

> Here is what Wikipedia says:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrafinitism

I see no claim there that there any ultrafinite set theory must be
inconsistent.

> but even constructivists generally view the philosophy as unworkably
> extreme

So, that's not saying that any ultrafinite set theory must be
inconsistent.

> and
>
> the constructive logician A. S. Troelstra dismissed it by saying "no
> satisfactory development exists at present."

That's not saying that any ultrafinite set theory must be
inconsistent.

> Why are ultrafinite theories considered "unworkable"?

Whether they are unworkable or not (work for what purpose?), it seems
to me that what the article may be getting at is how difficult it is
to come up with axioms for such a theory that also provide us with
such results as we wish to have from a foundational theory.

> I would think an UST woiuld be similar to theories with universal
> sets.

I don't see the connection, though I'm not claiming there isn't one.

Why don't you first do some systematic, organized study on formal
theories, standard set theory, alternative theories, and the
philosophy of mathematics?

Right now you look like some guy thrashing about in a mental
cellophane bag.

MoeBlee

From: Jesse F. Hughes on
RussellE <reasterly(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 2, 3:33 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...(a)phiwumbda.org> wrote:
>> RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> > I have often been told there are no "consistent" ultrafinite set
>> > theories (UST).
>>
>> Really?  Have you been told so here on the newsgroup?
>>
>> Can you point me to a single post in which someone said that?
>
> People have said that in this newsgroup (it might have been me).

You could have simply said "no". None of the below is any evidence in
your favor. You made a perfectly clear claim, you know.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"I'm not going to forget what I've seen. I understand the devastation
From: Transfer Principle on
On Mar 2, 1:25 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <be3d057d-1a58-4a17-89a7-e312ea28f...(a)b5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
>  RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any arithmetic operation with NaN as an operand equals NaN.
> > For example, NaN+1 = NaN.
> If NaN - 1 = NaN (i..e., the predecessor of NaN is Nan), your arithmetic
> is going to be bloody useless.

In computer arithmetic (IEEE 754, which is of course where RE
got the idea of NaN from), NaN-1 is indeed NaN. Here's a link
which explicitly lists NaN-1 as being NaN:

http://users.tkk.fi/jhi/infnan.html

Therefore, by Virgil's standards, IEEE 754 arithmetic must be
"bloody useless," even though Virgil probably uses software
that adheres to IEEE 754 every time he turns on his computer.

Ironically, in another thread when I asked about ultrafinitist
theories, Fred Jeffries suggested that I consider the IEEE 754
standard as an example of ultrafinitism. RE appears to be
heading in that direction with his use of "NaN."
From: Jesse F. Hughes on
Transfer Principle <lwalke3(a)lausd.net> writes:

> In computer arithmetic (IEEE 754, which is of course where RE
> got the idea of NaN from), NaN-1 is indeed NaN. Here's a link
> which explicitly lists NaN-1 as being NaN:
>
> http://users.tkk.fi/jhi/infnan.html
>
> Therefore, by Virgil's standards, IEEE 754 arithmetic must be
> "bloody useless," even though Virgil probably uses software
> that adheres to IEEE 754 every time he turns on his computer.
>
> Ironically, in another thread when I asked about ultrafinitist
> theories, Fred Jeffries suggested that I consider the IEEE 754
> standard as an example of ultrafinitism. RE appears to be
> heading in that direction with his use of "NaN."

Yes, it's very ironic when two wholly unrelated persons have a
difference of opinions.

--
"It is my opinion that since neither Spight nor Hughes can see or
understand their moral trespass [namely, quoting AP in .sigs], that
From: Transfer Principle on
On Mar 2, 10:03 am, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 12:48 am, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK. The primitives are element and collection.
> > urelement - Only objects defined to be urelements can be elements of a
> > set
> > set - A collection of elements.
> > proper class - a collection of sets.
> Primitives:
> 1-place predicate - 'x is a ret'
> 1-place predicate - 'x is an urment'
> 2-place predicate - 'xey' ('x is an element of y')

This is the second time that MoeBlee has played around with
rhyming words like "ret" and "urment" in trying to describe
RE's theory. (The first time was back in the second post of
this thread.) Also the standard theorists Patricia Shanahan
William Eliot have also criticized RE for trying to steal
terminology from the standard theories (such as ZFC and PA)
and use them in his own theory.

I don't agree with this notion that standard theories have
a monopoly on these terms. If we accept ZFC as the standard
theory, then what about the theory ZF (or to be explicit,
ZF+~AC)? Now ZF+~AC proves the existence of nonempty sets
without choice functions. But according to the standard
theory ZFC, every nonempty set has a choice function. So
what if I were to claim that therefore, these nonempty
objects in ZF+~AC that lack choice functions aren't really
sets, so we should call them "rets" or "tets" instead?

Similarly, ZFA proves the existence of illfounded sets. This
is in contrast with the standard theory ZFC, which proves
that every set is wellfounded. So what if I were to claim
that therefore, these illfounded objects in ZFA aren't really
sets, so we should call them "prets" or "vlets" instead?

Just as NFU proves the existence of non-Cantorian sets. This
is in contrast with the standard theory ZFC, which proves
that every set is Cantorian. So what if I were to claim
that therefore, these non-Cantorian sets in NFU aren't really
sets, so we should call them "nfets" or "wrets" instead?

Finally, bringing this back to ultrafinitism, we know that
there exist standard naturals n such that Y-V can't answer
yes to the question "Is n a natural number?" The sum or
product of two standard naturals is also a standard natural,
whereas the set of all naturals n such that Y-V can answer
"Is n a natural number?" isn't closed under either addition
or multiplication. So what if I were to claim that therefore,
Y-V isn't really talking about natural numbers, but something
called "yvatural numbers" instead?

Of course, this is silly. Adherents of ZF+~AC, ZFA, and NFU
aren't going to call their objects "rets" just because they
aren't sets in ZFC. The "yvatural numbers" example is even
worse, since the set of all "yvatural numbers" is a proper
subset of the set of all natural numbers, and so every
"yvatural number" literally _is_ a natural number, whether
the adherents of PA like it or not.

Thus, one shouldn't say that the objects that RE describes
in his theory aren't sets or natural numbers, unless one is
prepared to do the same with NFU's sets or Y-V's naturals.

Of course, at this point the standard anti-"cranks" are
likely thinking about a "slippery slope" argument -- if one
can call RE's objects "natural numbers," what's to stop
another so-called "crank" from calling Q the set of naturals,
or R the set of naturals, or {e, i, pi, 42} the set of
naturals, or some other crazy set? Where do we draw the line?

Here's where we draw the line: we can call an object defined
in a nonstandard theory by the same name as an object defined
in a standard theory, if the nonstandard object is an _analog_
of the standard object in the new theory, satisfying some
basic property of the standard object.

An example: RE wishes to define "urelement" in his theory. To
me, a basic property of "urelements" is that they contain no
elements (and aren't the empty set). Since RE's objects don't
contain elements, I believe that RE has the right to keep on
calling them "urelements." On the other hand, if RE were to
define "urelements" so that they have elements, then I'd agree
that RE would be disingenuous in calling them "urelements," so
that MoeBlee and the others would be justified in making him
change their name to "urments" or "burblements."

RE's "sets" can contain urelements. Sets in ZFCU and NFU may
contain urelements. So I see no reason for RE to change the
name "sets," unless we're going to make adherents of ZFCU and
NFU stop calling their objects "sets" too.

RE's "classes" can contain sets as elements. Classes in NBG
may contain sets. So I see no reason for RE to change the
name "classes," unless we're going to make adherents of NBG
stop calling their objects "classes" too.

Finally, ultrafinitists wish to work with a finite subset of
the set of standard naturals. So I see no reason for them to
stop calling their objects "natural numbers" simply because
there are only finitely many of them in their theories.

To repeat, ZFC/PA don't have a monopoly on the names "sets,"
"natural numbers," etc., no matter how much the standard
theorists may desire this.