From: Aatu Koskensilta on
MoeBlee <jazzmobe(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> Thanks. You've said 'in a strictly logical sense' a few times. Would
> you amplify what you mean by that in this context?

Do we need the Lorentz group in our physical blather about relativity?
Not in any strictly logical sense, in that in physical applications we
can explain away any general reference to the group, by concentrating on
the concrete physical situation at hand. What we need, in a strictly
logical sense, in our physical thinking, are those basic mathematical
principles -- of a theory conservative over PA, say, in which we can do
stuff with sets of naturals, functions on naturals, reals, what have you
-- without which it is impossible to derive the (particular applications
of) the mathematics we make use of in our analysis of concrete physical
situations. (Here "concrete" is to be understood widely, in a rather
attenuated sense.) This observation, in the philosophy of mathematics,
is essentially a counter to the Quinean idea that classical mathematics
is justified because it is a part of and presupposed in our best
scientific stories, and hence we should accept e.g. infinitary set
theory. Unless one endorses such Quinean follies the observation is of
course perfectly consistent with the view that e.g. large large
cardinals are perfectly fine mathematics and eminently justified.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechan kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Transfer Principle <lwalke3(a)lausd.net> writes:

> I want to be able to write "<= is a total order" (or similar
> statements involving equivalence relations, partial orders, possibly
> wellorders depending on the circumstance) with the knowledge that what
> I'm writing isn't formally an axiom, but is intended as _shorthand_
> for a longer formal expression that may be too cumbersome to write
> (and corresponds to the _standard_ definition of the term I'm
> using). But the standard theorists won't budge and insist that
> everyone write in symbolic language (a generalization that might be
> viewed as a "lie").

It is more appropriately viewed as bizarre fantasy. Who in their right
mind insists that mathematical statements be written in a symbolic
language in an ordinary context? What some people insist on is clarity;
they want to know what various notions mean, what inferences involving
the notions are justified, and so on. It's irrelevant whether these
notions are "standard" or not.

From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Transfer Principle <lwalke3(a)lausd.net> writes:

> RE's "urelements" lack elements, and so do urelements in standard
> urelement theories like ZFCU or NFU. RE's natural numbers include
> "1,2,3," and so do the standard natural numbers. Indeed, I informally
> think of the set of RE natural numbers as being a proper subset of the
> set of standard natural numbers, and if M is a subset of N, then the
> elements of M are still called natural numbers. M being a finite set
> doesn't change its elements status as natural numbers.

Here's a boon for you, a veritable ultrafinite theory in your
sense. (You might note that the axioms are not presented in symbolic
language.) We have as primitives the binary relations < and in, three
unary predicates Ur, Set and Class, and the individual symbols 0 and
T. As axioms we have:

Axiom of making sense: if x in y then Ur(x) and Set(y) or Set(x) and
Class(y); and if x < y then Ur(x) and Ur(y).

Axiom of well-ordering: < is a well-ordering of Ur; that is, < is a
total order, and if Set(x) and there is a y in x, then there is a
<-smallest y in x.

Axiom of this or that: 0 is the <-least urelement; T is the <-greatest
element.

Comprehension for sets: if P(y) is a formula then all (universal
closures of) formulas of the form

(Ex)(Set(x) and (y)(y in x <--> Ur(x) & P))

with the usual proviso on free variables in P.

Comprehension for classes: if P(y) if a formula then all (universal
closures of) formulas of the form

(Ex)(Class(x) and (y)(y in x <--> Set(x) & P))

with the usual proviso on free variables in P.

There, a wonderful ultrafinite theory. (Those in the know may recognise
this theory as a variant of third-order successor arithmetic with
top. For arithmetic with top see e.g. Raatikainen's paper

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/home/praatika/finitetruth.pdf ,

H�jek and Pudl�k's _Metamathematics of First-Order Arithmetic_ , and
sci.logic's own Andrew Boucher's logical studies into what exciting
mathematics we may develop on the very cautious view that the successor
function might not be total.)

Now what? What use are we to put this theory to?

From: Gc on
On 3 maalis, 18:37, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...(a)uta.fi> wrote:
> MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> writes:
> > As far as I know, first order PA is not adequate. (I'm open to being
> > convinced otherwise, though.)
>
> Sink your teeth into the mumblings of Feferman on predicativism, ACA_0,
> proof-theoretic reductions, what not, then!

I just skimmed a paper by Feferman from his web page. He talks about
his system W in which you an do analysis, which is proof theoritically
reductible to PA, btw which is a concept I am not so familiar with.
But W has a different language (It has set variables, of course,
because you do analysis) than PA so I understand it is somekind of
conservative extension of PA. Of course, PA is very probably enough
for physics when you talk about naturals, but in physics you need a
lot analysis too. How can you have sufficiently enough analysis only
in PA?
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Gc <gcut667(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> Of course, PA is very probably enough for physics when you talk about
> naturals, but in physics you need a lot analysis too. How can you have
> sufficiently enough analysis only in PA?

We can't "do analysis" in PA in any very natural sense. What is at issue
is rather that arithmetical results of use in physics --
e.g. experimental predictions -- derived by analytic means can be proved
in PA, for example via a detour through the sort of conservative
extensions you mentioned. You probably know more physics than I ever
will; if you take an interest in these matters you need consult the
literature on reverse mathematics and proof theoretic reductions and
decide for yourself whether you find Feferman's view palatable. As
noted, as regards the philosophy of science and philosophy of
mathematics Feferman's claim has direct relevance to the Quinean idea
that the justification for our mathematical theories lies in their use
in our best scientific theories.