From: RussellE on
On Mar 9, 8:16 am, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 9:26 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 8, 5:27 pm, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > It's a theorem that if a theory has arbitrarily large finite models
> > > then it has an infinite model. The proof is available in virtually any
> > > textbook on mathematical logic.
>
> > Would this forbid a theory which doesn't allow arbitrarily large
> > models?
>
> First, to be clear, I should have mentioned that I'm referring to
> first order theories in this context. (So, in this context, when I say
> 'theory', that is short for 'first order theory').
>
> Now, to answer your qutestion: If a theory has an infinite model, then
> it has arbitrarily large infinite models. And, if a theory has
> arbitrarily large finite models, then it has an infinite model, so it
> has arbitrarily large infinite models. On the other hand, there are
> theories that only have models less than a certain finite cardinality,
> so those theories don't have arbitrarily large models.

Thanks!
I would consider a theory where the only models are less
than a certain finite cardinality to be an ultrafinite theory.
Could you point me to references about such theories?

Russell
- Mathematics is the only true religion

From: MoeBlee on
On Mar 9, 5:08 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 8:16 am, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Would this forbid a theory which doesn't allow arbitrarily large
> > > models?
>
> > First, to be clear, I should have mentioned that I'm referring to
> > first order theories in this context. (So, in this context, when I say
> > 'theory', that is short for 'first order theory').
>
> > Now, to answer your qutestion: If a theory has an infinite model, then
> > it has arbitrarily large infinite models. And, if a theory has
> > arbitrarily large finite models, then it has an infinite model, so it
> > has arbitrarily large infinite models. On the other hand, there are
> > theories that only have models less than a certain finite cardinality,
> > so those theories don't have arbitrarily large models.
>
> Thanks!
> I would consider a theory where the only models are less
> than a certain finite cardinality to be an ultrafinite theory.
> Could you point me to references about such theories?

Just pick up a book on mathematical logic.

Here's an axiomatization of theory that has only models of cardinality
1:

Axy x=y.

So what?

MoeBlee

From: FredJeffries on
On Mar 9, 3:08 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!
> I would consider a theory where the only models are less
> than a certain finite cardinality to be an ultrafinite theory.
> Could you point me to references about such theories?

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers.html

See especially "On Feasible Numbers"
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers/lcc.ps
and the slides from a lecture where it is discussed
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers/lcc-sli-07.ps

From: RussellE on
On Mar 9, 6:42 pm, FredJeffries <fredjeffr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 3:08 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks!
> > I would consider a theory where the only models are less
> > than a certain finite cardinality to be an ultrafinite theory.
> > Could you point me to references about such theories?
>
> http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers.html
>
> See especially "On Feasible Numbers"http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers/lcc.ps
> and the slides from a lecture where it is discussedhttp://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers/lcc-sli-07.ps

Thank you for the reference.
I notice Sazonov says modus ponens can't be true in an ultrafinite
theory.
If it were, it would be possible to prove the existence of infeasible
numbers.

Modus ponens does not hold in some three value logics.

Assume we have the truth values: True, False, and Unknown.
We can easily come up with truth tables for this logic.
If A is False and B is Unknown, A AND B is False.
If A is True and B is Unknown, A AND B is Unknown.
etc.

From these truth tables we can derive a three value
logic version of modus ponens. Given A is True and
A IMPLIES B, we can deduce B is True or Unknown.
In this logic, we can not eliminate the possiblity
B is Unknown using modus ponens.

Replacing Unknown with Infeasible might be a workable system.

Sazonov also writes about "small" natural numbers.

Let N={0,1,2,3} be a set of small natural numbers.

Define "finite" addition as no more than one addition per member of a
set.
How large does a set have to be to "complete" finite addition
for a set of small natural numbers?

The largest finite addition for N is 3+3+3+3.
So, we can always complete finite addition for set N
with a set of size |N| * (|N|-1).

This shows not all mathematical operations are equal
in an ultrafinite theory. I would need a much larger set
to complete finite exponentiation:

3^3^3^3

Assume I have a finite set of natural numbers.
I can now define the set of "small" natural numbers
as the set for which finite addition is complete.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count
From: Transfer Principle on
On Mar 10, 12:37 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 6:42 pm, FredJeffries <fredjeffr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > See especially "On Feasible Numbers"http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers/lcc.ps
> > and the slides from a lecture where it is discussedhttp://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sazonov/papers/lcc-sli-07.ps
> Sazonov also writes about "small" natural numbers.

I decided not to post in this thread for a few days, in order to
let RE answer the standard theorists' questions without any of
my interference.

> Let N={0,1,2,3} be a set of small natural numbers.
> Define "finite" addition as no more than one addition per member of a
> set.
> How large does a set have to be to "complete" finite addition
> for a set of small natural numbers?
> The largest finite addition for N is 3+3+3+3.
> So, we can always complete finite addition for set N
> with a set of size |N| * (|N|-1).

Interestingly enough, these last few posts by RE sound _very_
similar to what Archimedes Plutonium has been posting lately.

In the past few months, AP has turned towards ultrafinitism. We
compare this post of RE's to an AP post from the last day of
January (8:25AM, Greenwich time):

"For in Algebra, if we use the 100-Model, that there is a clearcut
boundary or upper limit
to multiplication in that 10 x 10 is the upper limit and we cannot be
doing 11x 10. We can
do 11 x 9. So I am wondering if the 8.3% is a sort of reflection of
the 9 x 9 = 81 and allowed
in the 100-Model but that the true upper bound is the square root of
100 = 10."

By "100-Model," AP refers to the model of some ultrafinitist theory
in which the largest number is 100. In this theory, AP states that
the largest possible multiplication is 10x10. We compare this to
RE's post, in which he gives a model in which the largest number is
12 and the largest multiplication is 3x4.

Both AP and RE realize that if M is the cardinality of their model,
then sqrt(M) is an upper bound on the numbers which can be multiplied
in their models. AP would say something like, multiplication stops
working past 10, while RE writes that three is the largest "small"
natural number.

Of course, AP doesn't actually believe that 100 is the largest number
any more than RE believes that twelve is. Both are using these as
examples for their main model which has a much larger upper bound.

For AP, this upper bound is 10^500. So far, RE has yet to settle on
what he wants his upper bound to be.

In this thread, Virgil argues that one problem with setting a fixed
upper bound is that the universe is expanding. Therefore, if an
ultrafinitist chose, say, the diameter of the known universe in
Planck units, or even the volume of the known universe in cubic
Planck units, that number is always changing, and so it would be a
lousy upper bound for physics.

(Of course, an expanding universe stems from the Big Bang Theory -- a
theory to which AP doesn't subscribe. Instead, AP believes in his own
Atom Totality Theory. I'm not sure what adherents of Atom Totality
say about the changing size of the universe, since a plutonium atom
doesn't expand in the same way that Big Bangers say that the universe
is expanding. Since I'm not an Atom Totalitarian, I have nothing more
to say about this save that the upper bound 10^500 is suspect due to
its connection to Atom Totality.)

But RE was interested in a theory which has arbitrarily large finite
models -- that way, if the universe expands sufficiently , or there's
some other need in physics for a larger number, then we can just
switch to a larger model. But the standard theorists point out that
theories with arbitrarily large finite models also have infinite
models, and thus models of all alephs as cardinality, via compactness
and Lowenheim-Skolem. This is unacceptable to the ultrafinitist RE,
and so we need a theory with a fixed upper bound M on the cardinality
of any of its models.

MoeBlee gives a theory for which M=1 -- that darned theory whose lone
axiom is "Axy (x=y)." Of course, M=1 is much too small -- we seek a
theory in which M exceeds the largest number that can ever appear in
physics, no matter how large the universe expands. So we ask, how
large is a suitable value of M?

AP gives 10^500 (but we reject this due to Atom Totality). RSA gives
around 2^2048 (which is about 10^617) as the largest number that
currently appears in the science of cryptography. Some standard
theorists have suggested the possibility of numbers in which the
above appear as exponents (such as 10^10^500 or 2^2^2048) appearing
in physics.

Then again, some number such as Graham's Number are so large that
it seems inconceivable that there's a need for a number larger than
Graham's Number in any science. We can do much better than Graham's
Number as our M.

> This shows not all mathematical operations are equal
> in an ultrafinite theory. I would need a much larger set
> to complete finite exponentiation:
> 3^3^3^3

Since RE mentions this number (which is also known as 3^^4, to be
read "three tetrated to the four"), maybe this is a suitable upper
bound M for our theory. So now we search for a theory such that the
largest possible model for the theory has cardinality 3^^4. (Note
that 3^^4 still falls short of the number 10^10^500 that I alluded
to above.)

I'm actually partial to tetrations of _two_, rather than _three_,
as cardinalities for our models, since these are exactly the
cardinalities of the finite sets of the cumulative hierarchy V_n
(where card(V_(1+n)) = 2^^n). The set V_7 has cardinality 2^^6,
which is larger than all of the numbers that I've mentioned so
far in this post (save Graham's Number). So it may be helpful to
find a theory T such that V_7 is a model of T. (Note the similarity
to ZF-Infinity having a model V_omega, NBG-Infinity having a model
V_(omega+1), PST having a model V_(omega+2), ZF-Replacement Schema
having a model of V_(omega+omega), and so on.)