From: MoeBlee on
On Mar 8, 5:40 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 9:33 am, Frederick Williams <frederick.willia...(a)tesco.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Transfer Principle wrote:
>
> > > [...] But of course, as I myself found
> > > out, it's far easier to give a theory with both finite and
> > > infinite models than it is to give one with arbitrarily large
> > > finite models but no infinite models.
>
> > Compactness forbids it.
>
> Interesting. Would you please expnad on this?

Interesting? I thought you weren't interested in mathematical logic.

It's a theorem that if a theory has arbitrarily large finite models
then it has an infinite model. The proof is available in virtually any
textbook on mathematical logic.

MoeBlee

From: Frederick Williams on
RussellE wrote:

> On Mar 8, 9:33 am, Frederick Williams <frederick.willia...(a)tesco.net>
> wrote:
> > Transfer Principle wrote:
> >
> > > [...] But of course, as I myself found
> > > out, it's far easier to give a theory with both finite and
> > > infinite models than it is to give one with arbitrarily large
> > > finite models but no infinite models.
> >
> > Compactness forbids it.
>
> Interesting. Would you please expnad on this?

Compactness says that a set of first order sentences has a model iff
every finite subset of it has a model. It follows from the completeness
theorem.

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
From: RussellE on
On Mar 8, 5:27 pm, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:40 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 8, 9:33 am, Frederick Williams <frederick.willia...(a)tesco.net>
> > wrote:

> > > Compactness forbids it.
>
> > Interesting. Would you please expnad on this?
>
> Interesting? I thought you weren't interested in mathematical logic.

I'm not. That is why I read sci.math.

> It's a theorem that if a theory has arbitrarily large finite models
> then it has an infinite model. The proof is available in virtually any
> textbook on mathematical logic.

Would this forbid a theory which doesn't allow arbitrarily large
models?

I know the OP was refering to TP's attempts to
find a theory which allow such models.

Russell
- Mathematics is the only true religion
From: RussellE on
On Mar 8, 3:50 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <92c8f83f-5156-493d-af02-407e091a7...(a)s36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> > What are you left with, if, like me, you think
> > infinite sets are contradictory? The only
> > idea I can come with is natural numbers
> > can not grow without limit and there exists
> > a "largest" natural number.
>
> Insisting on a "largest possible natural" in a supposedly expanding
> universe seems a bit contrary.

I have to agree with you.
Maybe Zeno was right and change is an illusion.

> > One thing I do like about Raatikainen's
> > paper is the possibility of proving the
> > consistency of a finite theory.
>
> > I find it amazing so many people spend
> > so much time and effort on systems like
> > ZFC which could be proven inconsistent
> > at any time. I would think we want to start
> > with a theory that is provably consistent.
>
> What good would provable consistency be if your provably consistent
> system should impose restrictions making much of current mathematics
> impossible?

It could lead to better mathematics.

> So until someone actually proves those set theories with infinities now
> extant to be inconsistent, I prefer to keep them.

Assuming the earth is flat is a good approximation
unless you are mapping the orbits of heavenly bodies.

Russell
- Zeno was right. Motion is impossible.
From: Virgil on
In article
<68c681ac-e945-4bdb-8185-8d5eef4c81cb(a)b5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
RussellE <reasterly(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > What good would provable consistency be if your provably consistent
> > system should impose restrictions making much of current mathematics
> > impossible?
>
> It could lead to better mathematics.

And would all the bridges built using the old math fall down?

> > So until someone actually proves those set theories with infinities now
> > extant to be inconsistent, I prefer to keep them.
>
> Assuming the earth is flat is a good approximation
> unless you are mapping the orbits of heavenly bodies.

Assuming the Earth is flat would make most skiing pointless.