From: FredJeffries on
On Mar 8, 7:26 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:27 pm, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It's a theorem that if a theory has arbitrarily large finite models
> > then it has an infinite model. The proof is available in virtually any
> > textbook on mathematical logic.
>
> Would this forbid a theory which doesn't allow arbitrarily large
> models?
>
> I know the OP was refering to TP's attempts to
> find a theory which allow such models.

See Donald Knuth's "Mathematics and Computer Science: Coping with
Finiteness", Science 17 December 1976: Vol. 194. no. 4271, pp. 1235 -
1242
Available at
www.sciacchitano.it/Spazio/Coping%20with%20Finiteness.pdf

"Finite numbers can be really enormous, and the known universe is very
small. Therefore the distinction between finite and infinite is not as
relevant as the distinction between realistic and unrealistic"

From: Frederick Williams on
RussellE wrote:

> On Mar 8, 5:27 pm, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 8, 5:40 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Interesting. Would you please expnad on this?
> >
> > Interesting? I thought you weren't interested in mathematical logic.
>
> I'm not. That is why I read sci.math.
>
> > It's a theorem that if a theory has arbitrarily large finite models
> > then it has an infinite model. The proof is available in virtually any
> > textbook on mathematical logic.
>
> Would this forbid a theory which doesn't allow arbitrarily large
> models?

A first order theory that has arbitrarily large models has an infinite
model.

Do you want small finite models or no finite models at all?

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
From: Frederick Williams on
RussellE wrote:

> On Mar 8, 3:50 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:

> > What good would provable consistency be if your provably consistent
> > system should impose restrictions making much of current mathematics
> > impossible?
>
> It could lead to better mathematics.

Eh? Impossible means better?

In any case if a "better" mathematics is required isn't it for
mathematicians to ask for it and supply it?

> > So until someone actually proves those set theories with infinities now
> > extant to be inconsistent, I prefer to keep them.
>
> Assuming the earth is flat is a good approximation
> unless you are mapping the orbits of heavenly bodies.

And numerous other things such as sailing across the atlantic.

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
From: MoeBlee on
On Mar 8, 9:26 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:27 pm, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > It's a theorem that if a theory has arbitrarily large finite models
> > then it has an infinite model. The proof is available in virtually any
> > textbook on mathematical logic.
>
> Would this forbid a theory which doesn't allow arbitrarily large
> models?

First, to be clear, I should have mentioned that I'm referring to
first order theories in this context. (So, in this context, when I say
'theory', that is short for 'first order theory').

Now, to answer your qutestion: If a theory has an infinite model, then
it has arbitrarily large infinite models. And, if a theory has
arbitrarily large finite models, then it has an infinite model, so it
has arbitrarily large infinite models. On the other hand, there are
theories that only have models less than a certain finite cardinality,
so those theories don't have arbitrarily large models.

MoeBlee
From: MoeBlee on
On Mar 8, 9:26 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:27 pm, MoeBlee <jazzm...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 8, 5:40 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Interesting. Would you please expnad on this?
>
> > Interesting? I thought you weren't interested in mathematical logic.
>
> I'm not. That is why I read sci.math.

So what? Mathematical logic is mathematics. Anyway, at least to the
extent of this particular question about the cardinality of models,
you've just shown that you are interested in mathematical logic.

MoeBlee