From: Frederick Williams on
MoeBlee wrote:

> On Mar 4, 6:42 pm, Frederick Williams <frederick.willia...(a)tesco.net>
> wrote:
>
> > H&A's Grundzuge der theoretischen
> > Logik
>
> Is that the same as 'Principles Of Mathematical Logic'?

Yes.
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
MoeBlee <jazzmobe(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> Another question, unrelated to this. Somewhere else you mentioned that
> there was an overlooked technical problem with some rule of logic
> (substitution? replacement of some sort?).

I've mentioned that the rule of substitution was incorrectly stated for
some time, in news once or twice, and in a recent e-mail, I think.

> What specifically were you referring to? And would you relate some
> more about the historical details?

Frederick has already posted a few pointers.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechan kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
Barb Knox <see(a)sig.below> writes:

> Just a pedantic point, but "natural numbers" should be reserved for
> the structure that is the *standard* model for the Peano Postulates.
> There are other (non-standard) structures which also conform.

This depends on what we mean by "Peano Postulates". "Peano arithmetic"
almost invariably refers to first-order arithmetic, a formal theory that
does have non-standard models. "Peano Postulates" often, and usually
always outside logic, refer to the (essentially second-order) axioms
presented by Peano -- and these are categorical.

From: Frederick Williams on
Frederick Williams wrote:

> MoeBlee wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 4, 6:42 pm, Frederick Williams <frederick.willia...(a)tesco.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > H&A's Grundzuge der theoretischen
> > > Logik
> >
> > Is that the same as 'Principles Of Mathematical Logic'?
>
> Yes.

More fully: what I tried to quote from was the 1950 Chelsea publication
of the English translation of the second German edition from 1938. It's
nice in that it's brief (c. 180 pages) but Church is superior.
From: Frederick Williams on
RussellE wrote:

> 2) Axiom of finiteness - the set U = {u0,u1,u2,...,uk) exists.
> u is an element of U iff u is an urelement.

What is k? Is 2) an axiom schema, i.e. one axiom for each k = 0, 1, 2,
....? Or is k fixed? If so, as what? What are you assuming about these
numbers k (or this number k)?