From: AnthonyL on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:39:39 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:

>Dave Scott wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on my
>> previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it likely that
>> Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is Android taking
>> the lead in popularity
>
>it's certainly growing quickly
>
>No doubt the iPhone4 will have put a little upswing on Apple's line line
>on the graph (despite antenna issues)
>
>http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/03/iphone-os-still-dominates-mobile-web-android-on-the-way-up.ars
>
>> and which is the best O/S to have?
>
>Matter of personal choice, I prefer android.
>

>> Are there plenty
>> of free apps for Android?
>
>Yes, I've only paid for a couple (there are several where you can choose
>to have adverts in the app, or pay to remove them)

I've only had experience so far of Windows CE/mobile. I am interested
in a new phone at some near future but I do need to sync with Outlook
for calendar, tasks and contacts. Is this usually provided with
Android?

Thanks

--
AnthonyL
From: Andy Burns on
Chris wrote:

> AnthonyL<nospam(a)please.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I am interested
>> in a new phone at some near future but I do need to sync with Outlook
>> for calendar, tasks and contacts. Is this usually provided with
>> Android?
>>
> Nope, at least, not straight forward.
> You can sync your Outlook calendar, tasks and contacts to your Gmail account,
> and subsequently sync the phone against gmail as well.

Android 2.2 can now directly sync calendar to exchange server (not sure
about contacts/tasks) ... depends of the O/P means Outlook Express,
Outlook in MAPI mode or Outlook in SMTP/IMAP/POP mode
From: AnthonyL on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:26:06 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>
>> AnthonyL<nospam(a)please.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am interested
>>> in a new phone at some near future but I do need to sync with Outlook
>>> for calendar, tasks and contacts. Is this usually provided with
>>> Android?
>>>
>> Nope, at least, not straight forward.
>> You can sync your Outlook calendar, tasks and contacts to your Gmail account,
>> and subsequently sync the phone against gmail as well.
>
>Android 2.2 can now directly sync calendar to exchange server (not sure
>about contacts/tasks) ... depends of the O/P means Outlook Express,
>Outlook in MAPI mode or Outlook in SMTP/IMAP/POP mode

I mean Microsoft Outlook, not Outlook Express. I am not interested in
syncing email, just calendar, tasks and contacts, and I am not
connected to exchange server, just using a stand-alone laptop.

The suggestion of trying to sync via gmail sounds cumbersome and I
don't feel comfortable with google knowing a lot more about me than
they already seem to. :(

--
AnthonyL
From: Jim on
On 21/07/2010 11:49, Brian A wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:10:49 +0100, Dave Higton wrote:
>
>> In message<8am13tFcpeU1(a)mid.individual.net>
>> "Dave Scott"<7868776865(a)3244354667898888654.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on
>>> my previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it
>>> likely that Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is
>>> Android taking the lead in popularity, and which is the best O/S to
>>> have? Are there plenty of free apps for Android?
>>
>> Windows Mobile's market share is small and falling. Android's is
>> substantial and growing rapidly. Android phones are outselling Apple by
>> a substantial factor, although each Android model sells less than any
>> Apple model - there are far more Android models out there.
>>
>> Android looks like the way to go right now.
>>
>> Dave
> Android - no contest!

Seconded......I've had them all and I have settled on Android for now.
There is NO contest as the poster said. No contest AT ALL!
From: Nick Le Lievre on
"Dave Scott" <7868776865(a)3244354667898888654.net> wrote in message
> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on my
> previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it likely
> that
> Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is Android taking
> the lead in popularity, and which is the best O/S to have? Are there
> plenty
> of free apps for Android?

I have had HTC Tytn II (Win Mobile 6.1) and HTC Touch Diamond 2 (Win Mobile
6.5) and now a HTC Hero (Android 1.5 soon to be updated to 2.1) and I feel
Android is slightly better, there is not much in it IMO.