From: Dave Scott on
I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on my
previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it likely that
Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is Android taking
the lead in popularity, and which is the best O/S to have? Are there plenty
of free apps for Android?

DS

From: White Spirit on
On 20/07/2010 17:27, Dave Scott wrote:

> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on my
> previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it likely that
> Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is Android taking
> the lead in popularity, and which is the best O/S to have? Are there plenty
> of free apps for Android?

There are tons of applications available for Android. The only Windows
mobiles around are pretty much outdated with third-party modifications
to the user interface to make them more usable. I'd get an Android
'phone over a Windows 'phone myself (although I am biased because I hate
Windows).

From: Andy Burns on
Dave Scott wrote:

> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on my
> previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it likely that
> Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is Android taking
> the lead in popularity

it's certainly growing quickly

No doubt the iPhone4 will have put a little upswing on Apple's line line
on the graph (despite antenna issues)

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/03/iphone-os-still-dominates-mobile-web-android-on-the-way-up.ars

> and which is the best O/S to have?

Matter of personal choice, I prefer android.

> Are there plenty
> of free apps for Android?

Yes, I've only paid for a couple (there are several where you can choose
to have adverts in the app, or pay to remove them)

From: Dave Higton on
In message <8am13tFcpeU1(a)mid.individual.net>
"Dave Scott" <7868776865(a)3244354667898888654.net> wrote:

> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on my
> previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it likely
> that Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is Android
> taking the lead in popularity, and which is the best O/S to have? Are there
> plenty of free apps for Android?

Windows Mobile's market share is small and falling. Android's is
substantial and growing rapidly. Android phones are outselling
Apple by a substantial factor, although each Android model sells
less than any Apple model - there are far more Android models out
there.

Android looks like the way to go right now.

Dave
From: Brian A on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:10:49 +0100, Dave Higton wrote:

> In message <8am13tFcpeU1(a)mid.individual.net>
> "Dave Scott" <7868776865(a)3244354667898888654.net> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a new smartphone, having sed WM2003, WM5 and WM6.5 on
>> my previous phones, I now see the mention of Android phones. Is it
>> likely that Windows Mobile phones will be a thing of the past soon? Is
>> Android taking the lead in popularity, and which is the best O/S to
>> have? Are there plenty of free apps for Android?
>
> Windows Mobile's market share is small and falling. Android's is
> substantial and growing rapidly. Android phones are outselling Apple by
> a substantial factor, although each Android model sells less than any
> Apple model - there are far more Android models out there.
>
> Android looks like the way to go right now.
>
> Dave
Android - no contest!

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address. SAVE THE BBC Sign petition
http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bbc/