From: Nial Stewart on
> > It's obviously not universal enough!
> So, does it work with OpenOffice ?

No, the OpenOffice spreadsheet doesn't have any VBA capability as fair
as I'm aware.

> I could not see an example timing/protocol diagram ?

It's _very_ simple.

If you look at the Quick Start Guide section of the web page you'll
see the process in the target FPGA that implements the read and
writes functionality.

That's all you need to worry about, all the rest of the functionality
_should_ work end to end.

(I can add a Modelsim screen capture to deomonstrate this but it's so
simple this shouldn't be needed).

> The other uses that spring to mind are
> * Use with a Microcontroller, in which case a SW-pin version on the
> target would be needed.
> Might be as simple as a slow enough clock ?

Aye perhaps, but do most uCs not have decent in-circuit debuggers
etc these days?

The serial clock speed is set via a constant in the 1 Pin Module design.
This could be changed to something that can be set with an internal
write, but I had to decide on a set of functionality to get done and
tested and this was way down the list.

> * Use with CPLDs, in this case, minimal-logic is the requirement.

A minimal set of registers can be implemented in the target logic with about
170 logic elements.

The interface could be modified to only transfer 1 byte at a time to
reduce this further but there will be a limit as to how small it can
be got and there probably aren't that many more designs that will be
enabled by doing this.

Again it was a question of drawing a line in the sand to get it done and
tested.

If you need something much smaller the 1 Pin Interface probably isn't your
solution.

Thanks for the feedback/queries,

Nial.

From: -jg on
On Mar 5, 10:30 am, "Nial Stewart"

>(I can add a Modelsim screen capture to deomonstrate this but it's so simple this shouldn't be needed).

That could help broaden the use.

> > The other uses that spring to mind are
> > * Use with a Microcontroller, in which case a SW-pin version on the
> > target would be needed.
> > Might be as simple as a slow enough clock ?
>
> Aye perhaps, but do most uCs not have decent in-circuit debuggers
> etc these days?

Yes, but they do not all include communications channels, and it is
quite rare to access the debug Flow from user code.

There are numerous instances where a simple PC access to an operating
embedded system, would be nice to have, (and the UART may be already
committed.)

-jg
From: -jg on
On Mar 5, 10:15 am, "Nial Stewart" >
> OK, it's not a seperate page but I've added the VBA OnePinModule as
> a text file in Downloads with a note in Host Software.

I had a quick look - what is this file called ?

-jg
From: NialS on
On Mar 4, 10:21 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 10:15 am, "Nial Stewart" >
>
> > OK, it's not a seperate page but I've added the VBA OnePinModule as
> > a text file in Downloads with a note in Host Software.
>
> I had a quick look - what is this file called ?
>
> -jg

In the Downloads section "VBA One Pin Module".

Nial

From: -jg on
On Mar 5, 11:41 am, NialS <n...(a)nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 10:21 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had a quick look - what is this file called ?
>
> In the Downloads section "VBA One Pin Module".

Hmm, a revisit and a couple of refreshes and voila!

I also grabbed the .xls, and dropped it into OpenOffice 3.?

It warns about macros, and seems to add a rem in front of everything
(another protection?), but when I remove those, it shows glimmers of
operation, but I think there may be VBA / OpenOffice.Basic variations.

I can step some functions, so it seems likely this can be made to work
on Open Office as well ?

-jg