From: Phoenix on
Install in a VM--interesting idea, Sue, thanks!
I never used VMs before trying XP mode in Win 7 RC so don't know much about
them. When you'rer installing something in a VM, where do the registry
values get written to? A "virtual registry"? Or somewhere in the regular
one?
BTW, Rick, I think you nailed it--since you have iLok, it probably found
what it needed and didn't try to install PACE.
Now that people have been using iLok with Win 7 without issue, I'd consider
that at some point, but I refuse to have PACE software version on my system.
From what I've read of these string samples, I'd like to have them, though.

From: Sue Morton on
A VM runs with it's own copy of whatever operating system you install in it.
So registry etc. is self-contained in the VM. If you make a backup copy of
your VM before you experiment with it, it's literally a file-copy away from
having a clean VM to use when one gets trashed.

You can configure VM's to be able to write out to the host system drives,
too, but I don't do that as a rule (I do have some VMs that are trusted and
are running specific processes for me, I'm not using them for a sandbox like
this example). Even though whatever the VM writes out to the host can only
be executed from inside the VM (by the VM, that is), I still don't want any
beastie written outside of my VM's "disks".
--
Sue Morton

From: Sue Morton on
P.S. FWIW my preference is Virtualbox for hosting VM's...

If you want to know how the 'experimental' software works in a specific OS,
such as your Win7, use Virtualbox, Microsoft Virtual PC, VMWare and install
a copy of your Win7 DVD in exactly the same as your 'real' OS.

You can't activate this copy, so don't provide your product key during the
install, you can skip it. When you near the end of 30 day grace period for
activation, if you need/want more time you can use the rearm command to add
30 days to the grace period, up to three times total and a max of 120 days
before you must activate or it closes down. Don't let the grace period
expire or its over, but wait to the last day or as close to it as possible
to add 30 days.

m$ in their infinite wisdom requires a separate license for OS installed in
a VM. So unless you have a Win7 license to burn (or for whatever guest OS
you're installing in the VM), you won't be able to activate the VM. But if
it is a sandbox, no big deal anyway... Of course if you're using a
non-activated OS like Win2k, Win98 etc. then the license doesn't matter
since they don't check it.

This is the way I always test untrusted new software, and any new OS, like
new/reconfigured versions of linux...
--
Sue Morton

From: kitekrazy on
Phoenix wrote:
> I dl'ed this, but did not install after reading on the CW forum that it
> installs PACE (http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=1904678&mpage=2
> message #37)...did you find this issue, and if so, what did you do about
> it?

All of the VIs at Sonivox install PACE.
Pace isn't the evil it use to be but installing products that require it
makes the end user jump thru a new set of hoops that can be annoying.
From: Renz on
On Dec 28, 10:34 am, kitekrazy <kitekr...(a)kitekrazy.org> wrote:
> Phoenix wrote:
> > I dl'ed this, but did not install after reading on the CW forum that it
> > installs PACE (http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=1904678&mpage=2
> > message #37)...did you find this issue, and if so, what did you do about
> > it?
>
> All of the VIs at Sonivox install PACE.
> Pace isn't the evil it use to be but installing products that require it
> makes the end user jump thru a new set of hoops that can be annoying.

FYI... I canceled the PACE install when prompted and it still
installed the rest of the free orchestra. Both standalone and VST
work fine without PACE installed I presume (since I don't have it
installed on my computer at all). Nice freebie...