From: mmb on
This problem happened after a short power-outage while my computer was on so
I'm guessing files were corrupted. First I used my original CD repair disk
to copy two files that the error message resported as required. (i386\ntldr
and i386\ntdetect) Then when I rebooted I got the missing or corrupted
Hal.dll error. I've carefully tried everything in Article 314477 - "Windows
could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem"
and have encountered several problems doing so.
Using Method 2, when I entered <bootcfg /rebuild> it started, then I got
the following error message: "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would
prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk
errors. I did run chkdsk /f and after a long while it said errors were found
and, presumably, repaired. I then used the recovery disk again with the same
results.
Next I tried Method 3 (expand d:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_
c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe)and got the error message "Access is denied"
Then, I used the method recommended by Malke to Enid. i.e. attrib -h-r-s
c:\boot.ini. When I got down to the command to del c:\boot.ini I got a
message saying "The system can't find the file or directory specified." I
checked drive c: and the file is definitely there.
Here's how my boot.ini appears when I type msconfig:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[OPERATING SYSTEMS]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I haven't tried to edit the boot.ini because I hae no idea how it should
look if the above is incorrect.
My OS is XP service pack 3. Computer has dual processors. I also have
two hard drives. When I use the F8 key to choose different boot options, one
of the two hard drives allows me to successfully boot.
I apologize for the lengthy message but seems like I've run into walls
with everything I've tried. I'd be very grateful for any and all suggestions.

From: mmb on

"mmb" wrote:

> This problem happened after a short power-outage while my computer was on so
> I'm guessing files were corrupted. First I used my original CD repair disk
> to copy two files that the error message resported as required. (i386\ntldr
> and i386\ntdetect) Then when I rebooted I got the missing or corrupted
> Hal.dll error. I've carefully tried everything in Article 314477 - "Windows
> could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem"
> and have encountered several problems doing so.
> Using Method 2, when I entered <bootcfg /rebuild> it started, then I got
> the following error message: "Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows
> installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would
> prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk
> errors. I did run chkdsk /f and after a long while it said errors were found
> and, presumably, repaired. I then used the recovery disk again with the same
> results.
> Next I tried Method 3 (expand d:\i386\ntkrnlmp.ex_
> c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe)and got the error message "Access is denied"
> Then, I used the method recommended by Malke to Enid. i.e. attrib -h-r-s
> c:\boot.ini. When I got down to the command to del c:\boot.ini I got a
> message saying "The system can't find the file or directory specified." I
> checked drive c: and the file is definitely there.
> Here's how my boot.ini appears when I type msconfig:
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [OPERATING SYSTEMS]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
> I haven't tried to edit the boot.ini because I hae no idea how it should
> look if the above is incorrect.
> My OS is XP service pack 3. Computer has dual processors. I also have
> two hard drives. When I use the F8 key to choose different boot options, one
> of the two hard drives allows me to successfully boot.
> I apologize for the lengthy message but seems like I've run into walls
> with everything I've tried. I'd be very grateful for any and all suggestions.

Follow up: In the recovery console my only choice offered for the windows
logon is D:\windows. Drive D is a CD rom drive, and the windows installation
is on Drive C. It doesn't seem to recognize C. How do I get it to do that?
Probably that's why I've had all of the above issues.

From: Peter Foldes on
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: mmb on
Peter, thank you for the link, however, unless I'm missing something (quite
possible) most of the suggestions don't apply to my situation. For example,
in the first instance it refers to a situation in which two operating systems
are present. I have only Windows XP Home Edition. Another suggestion for
repair would entail removing the hard drive and putting into another computer
to attempt a repair. I have only a laptop so this wouldn't be possible.
Also, I believe my hard drives have only 1 partition so it wouldn't appear
that editing the boot.ini would solve anything.

As I mentioned previously, after the repair console disk completes its
search, I have only the option of D:\windows. Why wouldn't it give me
c:\windows as an option, and can this be modified? In my computer, Drives D
and E are, respectively, CD Rom and DVD drives. Drive F is also a hard
drive used as backup. All were working as they should until a brief power
outage.

Given my level of non-expertise it's beginnign to look like a trip to the
repair shop might be my only option but I appreciate any further advice from
you and others.

Thanks for your response.

From: Paul on
mmb wrote:
> Peter, thank you for the link, however, unless I'm missing something (quite
> possible) most of the suggestions don't apply to my situation. For example,
> in the first instance it refers to a situation in which two operating systems
> are present. I have only Windows XP Home Edition. Another suggestion for
> repair would entail removing the hard drive and putting into another computer
> to attempt a repair. I have only a laptop so this wouldn't be possible.
> Also, I believe my hard drives have only 1 partition so it wouldn't appear
> that editing the boot.ini would solve anything.
>
> As I mentioned previously, after the repair console disk completes its
> search, I have only the option of D:\windows. Why wouldn't it give me
> c:\windows as an option, and can this be modified? In my computer, Drives D
> and E are, respectively, CD Rom and DVD drives. Drive F is also a hard
> drive used as backup. All were working as they should until a brief power
> outage.
>
> Given my level of non-expertise it's beginnign to look like a trip to the
> repair shop might be my only option but I appreciate any further advice from
> you and others.
>
> Thanks for your response.

But the drive letter shown in the Recovery Console, might not be the
same as the drive letter of the "real" system. The order of letters,
will be the order of enumeration in the Recovery Console OS, rather than
the order of enumeration seen when the real OS is booting. At least,
that's what I think I've seen here.

As an example of what might happen, I have two disk drives, one with
Win2K on it, one with WinXP. When I start the Recovery Console, it sees
two partitions with OSes. They both can't be C: at this point. So at least
one of them has a nonsensical "drive letter". It really depends which
one was detected first, as to how they're lettered. (I also have a
different password for Administrator on each OS, so I can tell from
that, whether I'm in the right place.)

You could start by logging into the partition, and then try and figure
out whether you're in the right partition or not. For example, I'd
use the "dir" command, and verify whether a few GIFs I have on
the root level of C: are present or not. Even if the Recovery Console
was calling it D:, I'd know I was logged to the correct partition.

There is also this "map" command, that might help reassure you that
you're working in the correct partition (based on size of partition
perhaps).

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsm/p/map.htm

If you need to do maintenance on a computer, there are any number of
other alternatives. I use Linux LiveCDs, as they don't install any
software, and the CD gives me access to NTFS or FAT32 partitions.
At least I can poke around the directories, and see whether there
is major damage or not. There are other, Windows-centric methods
of access. Of which, the Recovery Console is only one. The Recovery
Console has some useful commands, which is why it can't be discounted
entirely from your bag of tricks.

Paul