From: Gerald Bramwell on
Hi,

I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will I
have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I just
disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each drive?

Thanks

Gerald
From: Mark Adams on

"Gerald Bramwell" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will I
> have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I just
> disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each drive?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gerald
> .

I've seen enough people ask here in these newsgroups how XP installed to the
wrong drive and/or drive letter to suggest disconnecting all of the hard
drives except the one you want to install on. Easy to avoid this error if
only one drive is in the system during the install. Disconnect the data
cables, the install cannot proceed if the data can't get to those drives.
From: Gerald Bramwell on

On 03/08/2010 00:04, Mark Adams wrote:

> "Gerald Bramwell" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will I
>> have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I just
>> disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each drive?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gerald
>> .
>>

> I've seen enough people ask here in these newsgroups how XP installed to the
> wrong drive and/or drive letter to suggest disconnecting all of the hard
> drives except the one you want to install on. Easy to avoid this error if
> only one drive is in the system during the install. Disconnect the data
> cables, the install cannot proceed if the data can't get to those drives.

Many thanks.

Gerald
From: HeyBub on
Gerald Bramwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will
> I have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I
> just disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each
> drive?

You can disconnect the power cable or the data cable or both.

Or, if you're REALLY careful, neither [not recommended].

From: "KernelDebugger" kerneldebugger on

"Gerald Bramwell" <newsgroups(a)animals-in-distress.net> wrote in message

> On 03/08/2010 00:04, Mark Adams wrote:
>>

>> "Gerald Bramwell" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to install a new SATA drive and install Windows XP on it. Will I
>>> have to completely disconnect all the present hard drives or can I just
>>> disconnect just the power leads or just the data leads of each drive?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Gerald
>>> .
>>>

>> I've seen enough people ask here in these newsgroups how XP installed to
>> the
>> wrong drive and/or drive letter to suggest disconnecting all of the hard
>> drives except the one you want to install on. Easy to avoid this error if
>> only one drive is in the system during the install. Disconnect the data
>> cables, the install cannot proceed if the data can't get to those drives.
>

> Many thanks.
>
> Gerald

You could just disconnect the power cable. I use that method, only I do it
with toggle switches, to turn on or off different SATA drives internal to
the PC. I need to be able to turn them on or off so I can: 1) boot to the
drive I want, and 2) turn on more than one drive to use Drive Image 2002 in
Caldera DOS.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: msmpeng.exe