From: GEB on
I got a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise, when it's connected to
the network, we can login ok. But when there is no network connection,
it hangs after entering the password at the Welcome screen. It seems
to looking for network connection. This seems to unique on this
machine, other computers have no problem with login even when it's not
connected to the network.

Any ideas what might be causing it to hang and how to go about
troubleshooting? Thanks.

From: Patok on
GEB wrote:
> I got a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise, when it's connected to
> the network, we can login ok. But when there is no network connection,
> it hangs after entering the password at the Welcome screen. It seems
> to looking for network connection. This seems to unique on this
> machine, other computers have no problem with login even when it's not
> connected to the network.
>
> Any ideas what might be causing it to hang and how to go about
> troubleshooting? Thanks.

Check to see if a group policy called something like "Always wait for
the network during computer startup and user logon" is enabled. On XP,
it is found in the Group policy editor under Computer Configuration/
Administrative Templates/ System/ Logon/; no idea if it exists on W7.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
From: - Bobb - on

"GEB" <nospam(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
>I got a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise, when it's connected to
> the network, we can login ok. But when there is no network connection,
> it hangs after entering the password at the Welcome screen. It seems
> to looking for network connection. This seems to unique on this
> machine, other computers have no problem with login even when it's not
> connected to the network.
>
> Any ideas what might be causing it to hang and how to go about
> troubleshooting? Thanks.
>
> --

You want to enable "cached logon".
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172931

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Windows 7 Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

From: GEB on
- Bobb - wrote:

> "GEB" <nospam(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> > I got a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise, when it's
> > connected to the network, we can login ok. But when there is no
> > network connection, it hangs after entering the password at the
> > Welcome screen. It seems to looking for network connection. This
> > seems to unique on this machine, other computers have no problem
> > with login even when it's not connected to the network.
> >
> > Any ideas what might be causing it to hang and how to go about
> > troubleshooting? Thanks.
> >
> > --
>
> You want to enable "cached logon".
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172931

I modified it to 50, doesn't help with the issue. After a reboot it
seems to be not caching. I will try the other solution.