From: nobody on
In Money, after downloading transactions, you can Accept them, and
keep track of what is new as well as verify the correctness of a
transaction. Is there something similar in Quicken 2010? I haven't
found it by looking for it in Quicken or with Google.
From: B on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:39:13 -0700, nobody(a)nowhere.com wrote:

> In Money, after downloading transactions, you can Accept them, and
> keep track of what is new as well as verify the correctness of a
> transaction. Is there something similar in Quicken 2010? I haven't
> found it by looking for it in Quicken or with Google.

In Quicken, when you downlaod transactions you will be asked to Accept each
transaction. If you've been entering transactions into your register(s)
more or less as you incur them, then Quicken will match each downloaded
transaction with the corresponding one in your register. If you download a
transaction that isn't already in your register, then Quicken will add it
to the register. Either way, Quicken will ask you to Accept the
transaction.

Transactions which are Accepted will have a "c" in the reconciliation
column. Trnasaction which you enter manually that haven't yet been matched
to a downloaded transaction have a blank in that column. When you
Reconcile an account, all of the "c"s will be changed to "R"s.

Did that answer your question?
From: nobody on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:56:33 -0500, B <b(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:39:13 -0700, nobody(a)nowhere.com wrote:
>
>> In Money, after downloading transactions, you can Accept them, and
>> keep track of what is new as well as verify the correctness of a
>> transaction. Is there something similar in Quicken 2010? I haven't
>> found it by looking for it in Quicken or with Google.
>
>In Quicken, when you downlaod transactions you will be asked to Accept each
>transaction. If you've been entering transactions into your register(s)
>more or less as you incur them, then Quicken will match each downloaded
>transaction with the corresponding one in your register. If you download a
>transaction that isn't already in your register, then Quicken will add it
>to the register. Either way, Quicken will ask you to Accept the
>transaction.
>
>Transactions which are Accepted will have a "c" in the reconciliation
>column. Trnasaction which you enter manually that haven't yet been matched
>to a downloaded transaction have a blank in that column. When you
>Reconcile an account, all of the "c"s will be changed to "R"s.
>
>Did that answer your question?

It has not asked to accept transactions. In the Clr column, there is
either a "c" or an "R". Even bills not yet paid have an "R". A direct
deposit received and a phone payment each have a "c", even though I
didn't do anything the accept them, and there is a Mark As Reviewed
that seems to not really do anything. Is there something I need to set
in my preferences somewhere so that it asks to accept the
transactions? It seems to be doing it on its own.

I just installed this about a week ago and have not reconciled the
account, but there are lots of transactions marked with "R", but most
of them were imported from Money so I guess that's reasonable.
From: John Pollard on
nobody(a)nowhere.com wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:56:33 -0500, B <b(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:39:13 -0700, nobody(a)nowhere.com wrote:
>>
>>> In Money, after downloading transactions, you can Accept them, and
>>> keep track of what is new as well as verify the correctness of a
>>> transaction. Is there something similar in Quicken 2010? I haven't
>>> found it by looking for it in Quicken or with Google.

>> In Quicken, when you downlaod transactions you will be asked to
>> Accept each transaction. If you've been entering transactions into
>> your register(s) more or less as you incur them, then Quicken will
>> match each downloaded transaction with the corresponding one in your
>> register. If you download a transaction that isn't already in your
>> register, then Quicken will add it to the register. Either way,
>> Quicken will ask you to Accept the transaction.
>>
>> Transactions which are Accepted will have a "c" in the reconciliation
>> column. Trnasaction which you enter manually that haven't yet been
>> matched to a downloaded transaction have a blank in that column.
>> When you Reconcile an account, all of the "c"s will be changed to
>> "R"s.
>>
>> Did that answer your question?

> It has not asked to accept transactions. In the Clr column, there is
> either a "c" or an "R". Even bills not yet paid have an "R". A direct
> deposit received and a phone payment each have a "c", even though I
> didn't do anything the accept them, and there is a Mark As Reviewed
> that seems to not really do anything. Is there something I need to set
> in my preferences somewhere so that it asks to accept the
> transactions? It seems to be doing it on its own.
>
> I just installed this about a week ago and have not reconciled the
> account, but there are lots of transactions marked with "R", but most
> of them were imported from Money so I guess that's reasonable.

Q2010 introduced some new options, one of which is to "Automatically add
downloaded transactions to registers".

I believe that new Quicken users get that option set by default, while
users converting from earlier Quicken versions have the option set off by
default.

You can can manually match non-downloaded transactions to transactions
that have been automatically accepted, if Quicken failed to make the
match.

To turn off auto-add (and get the "Accept transactions into register"
window beneath the account registers):

Edit > Preferences > Quicken Preferences > Downloaded transactions.

Remove the check mark from "Automatically add downloaded transactions to
registers".

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: nobody on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:36:12 -0500, "John Pollard"
<8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>nobody(a)nowhere.com wrote:

>>> In Quicken, when you downlaod transactions you will be asked to
>>> Accept each transaction. If you've been entering transactions into
>>> your register(s) more or less as you incur them, then Quicken will
>>> match each downloaded transaction with the corresponding one in your
>>> register. If you download a transaction that isn't already in your
>>> register, then Quicken will add it to the register. Either way,
>>> Quicken will ask you to Accept the transaction.
>>>
>>> Transactions which are Accepted will have a "c" in the reconciliation
>>> column. Trnasaction which you enter manually that haven't yet been
>>> matched to a downloaded transaction have a blank in that column.
>>> When you Reconcile an account, all of the "c"s will be changed to
>>> "R"s.
>>>
>>> Did that answer your question?
>

>> It has not asked to accept transactions. In the Clr column, there is
>> either a "c" or an "R". Even bills not yet paid have an "R". A direct
>> deposit received and a phone payment each have a "c", even though I
>> didn't do anything the accept them, and there is a Mark As Reviewed
>> that seems to not really do anything. Is there something I need to set
>> in my preferences somewhere so that it asks to accept the
>> transactions? It seems to be doing it on its own.
>>
>> I just installed this about a week ago and have not reconciled the
>> account, but there are lots of transactions marked with "R", but most
>> of them were imported from Money so I guess that's reasonable.
>
>Q2010 introduced some new options, one of which is to "Automatically add
>downloaded transactions to registers".
>
>I believe that new Quicken users get that option set by default, while
>users converting from earlier Quicken versions have the option set off by
>default.
>
>You can can manually match non-downloaded transactions to transactions
>that have been automatically accepted, if Quicken failed to make the
>match.
>
>To turn off auto-add (and get the "Accept transactions into register"
>window beneath the account registers):
>
>Edit > Preferences > Quicken Preferences > Downloaded transactions.
>
>Remove the check mark from "Automatically add downloaded transactions to
>registers".

Thanks. Done. We'll see if that does it.