From: RichA on
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/28/ansel.adams.negative.dispute/index.html?iref=NS1

"I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
Ansel Adams."
From: otter on
On Jul 28, 6:58 pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/28/ansel.ada...
>
> "I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
> evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
> proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
> authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
> Ansel Adams."

What do you think is provocative about this? He is saying the plates
are genuine.
From: Gary Edstrom on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/28/ansel.adams.negative.dispute/index.html?iref=NS1
>
>"I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
>evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
>proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
>authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
>Ansel Adams."

What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel Adams
heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?

Gary
From: Sysop on

"Gary Edstrom" <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/28/ansel.adams.negative.dispute/index.html?iref=NS1
>>
>>"I have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
>>evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
>>proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
>>authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
>>Ansel Adams."
>
> What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel Adams
> heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?

When were they "stolen" and wouldn't the Statute of Limitations apply?

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-28 19:25:42 -0700, "Sysop" <none(a)none.invalid> said:

> "Gary Edstrom" <GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/07/28/ansel.adams.negative.dispute/index.html?iref=NS1

"I

>>> have sent people to prison for the rest of their lives for far less
>>> evidence than I have seen in this case," said evidence and burden of
>>> proof expert Manny Medrano, who was hired by Norsigian to help
>>> authenticate the plates. "In my view, those photographs were done by
>>> Ansel Adams."
>>
>> What do you want to bet that if they are indeed genuine, the Ansel Adams
>> heirs will sue to get them back as stolen property?
>>
> When were they "stolen" and wouldn't the Statute of Limitations apply?

There is no indication, or claim that these were stolen. If stolen the
statue of limitations would start from the discovery of the theft, not
the date of the theft. If these were removed by a salvage operator
after the Yosemite studio fire, and not been returned to Adams then,
leaving him to believe all were destroyed in the fire, that is the
theft. Once Norsigian came into possession, he would have been a
receiver of stolen property, even if he were unaware of a theft. This
happens frequently when vehicle stolen 15-20 years ago are returned to
the original owner, leaving the individual it is confiscated from, with
no fruit of the theft, and no claim of ownership. So there could well
be issues regarding these negatives. The telling part of this story
regarding statute of limitations, is that they were found in 2000, and
the publicity is hitting the presses now.

Even if these negatives prove to be the genuine article, prints make
from them would not be able to be marketed as "Ansel Adams" prints,
because they are not, and never could be.
Any attempt to do so would certainly invoke litigation, and possible
criminal action. If the current owner is going to do what he says he
has planned, which is to sell a limited run of darkroom prints from 18
of the best at $7500 each, and posters at less than $100, he should
have a disclaimer indicating they are not "Adams" prints, but prints
from negatives he alleges are Adams negatives. if he does that the
Adams family estate will have no case.

The true value of these negatives, if proven to be genuine, lies in
what they are, and who created them, not any pseudo "Adams" prints
which might be produced from them.

--
Regards,

Savageduck