From: Zeb on
I have the same problem!

enigmavarian wrote:

Anti-aliased Equations
10-Oct-07

Using PowerPoint 2003: When I use equation editor to enter an equation it
appears fine on screen until I apply any animation. Then, the anti-aliasing
goes and I'm left with a jagged looking equation. Is there any way around
this please?

thanks
Tim

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:43 AM
enigmavarian wrote:

Anti-aliased Equations
Using PowerPoint 2003: When I use equation editor to enter an equation it
appears fine on screen until I apply any animation. Then, the anti-aliasing
goes and I'm left with a jagged looking equation. Is there any way around
this please?

thanks
Tim

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 7:08 AM
Luc wrote:

enigmavariant,Yes, that problem has been around for quite some time.
enigmavariant,
Yes, that problem has been around for quite some time. I do not know of any
real solution being offered so far (hope I am wrong and somebody will have
one) other than cutting the equation and pasting as a picture.

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:20 AM
aneasiertomorro wrote:

RE: Anti-aliased Equations
Hi

I *think* you can apply animations to mathtype equations:
Mathtype 6:
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/
There is a free trial so you can double check

Other than that I would suggest putting autoshapes with background fill over
the bits of the equation you want to reveal, then applying exit animations to
the autoshapes. Will that achieve what you are after? Or did you want
something specific?

Lucy
--
MOS Master Instructor
www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au

PowerPoint Live 2007 28-31 October in New Orleans www.pptlive.com
See you there

"enigmavariant" wrote:

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:05 PM
Bob Mathews wrote:

That is a fault of PowerPoint, and not Equation Editor.
That is a fault of PowerPoint, and not Equation Editor. Actually,
the upgrade to Equation Editor, MathType, suffers from the same
anomaly, but with MathType you have one additional option that
you don't have with Equation Editor. With MathType, you can save
the equation as a high-resolution GIF, then scale it down in PPT
to the proper size. Equations created this way will animate quite
smoothly, but this isn't a realistic solution if your
presentation has more than, say, a dozen or more equations.

Experiment with different animation techniques and/or different
background styles. In my experience these combinations produce
the worst effects: "movement" animations such as "fly from right"
or "zoom in" and a gradient background. These produce the best
[possible] effects: "appear" animations such as "appear",
"dissolve in", and "fade in", and a solid background.

We have an application note on our website that shows how to use
MathType with PowerPoint, but many of the techniques apply to
Equation Editor as well: www.dessci.com/ppt

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

On 10-Oct-2007, <enigmavariant(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:16 PM
Bob Mathews wrote:

Re: Anti-aliased Equations
On 10-Oct-2007, I wrote:

and Steve Rindsberg <abuse(a)localhost.com> replied:

Ok; fair enough. To-may-toe, to-mah-toe. ;-)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

On Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:29 PM
Steve Rindsberg wrote:

Re: Anti-aliased Equations
In article <eFndfd1CIHA.3940(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Bob Mathews wrote:

Or to be fairer (if more blunt), no matter whether you use Equation Editor or
MathType, PowerPoint's bugs still bite you. ;-)

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

On Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:09 PM
Bob Mathews wrote:

Re: Anti-aliased Equations
On 11-Oct-2007, Steve Rindsberg wrote:

Thanks Steve. That always means more coming from a 3rd party than
from us, but no less true either way.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

On Saturday, October 13, 2007 9:21 AM
Steve Rindsberg wrote:

Re: Anti-aliased Equations
In article <OTkq2s4CIHA.5160(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Bob Mathews wrote:

Just wanted to make it clear that it's a PPT flaw, not one in either of your
products.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

On Saturday, October 13, 2007 9:21 AM
Steve Rindsberg wrote:

Re: Anti-aliased Equations
In article <OBPz6rEDIHA.5348(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Bob Mathews wrote:

Exactly.

Now you tell 'em it's not MY software's fault either. ;-)

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

On Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:54 AM
enigmavarian wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. All very helpful.Tim
Thanks to everyone for the replies. All very helpful.

Tim

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:07 AM
shoosh wrote:

Re: Anti-aliased Equations
On Oct 12, 3:55 am, Steve Rindsberg <ab...(a)localhost.com> wrote:

The best solution I've come up with so far:
create an equasion object, resize if to about twice its needed size,
copy it (Ctrl+C)
open photoshop, create a large enough image, paste the object (Ctrl+V)
use the selection tool to select only the equasion, copy it again (Ctrl
+C)
back to powerpoint, paste the image (Ctrl+V)
use the "Set Transparent Color" under "recolor" to set the background
to be transparent.
resize it to the needed size.
also, better save the equasion objects in a hidden slide for future
changes.

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:07 AM
Bob wrote:

Just as a reminder of where this all started, the OP mentioned his(her?
Just as a reminder of where this all started, the OP mentioned his
(her?) equations looked fine in PPT 2003 until applying animation,
then he was left with jagged equations. The solution "shooshx"
recommends is unnecessary and way too time-consuming if one uses
MathType instead of Equation Editor for the equations. Keep in mind
that the OP's problem is still present no matter which of these tools
you use to create equations if you create _equation objects_, because
the problem is caused by PPT and not by the equation-writing software.

So why is shooshx's solution unnecessary? Because MathType lets you
choose to create GIF images instead of equation objects. Create the
GIF anti-aliased, with a transparent background, and at 384dpi, then
save it. Insert it into PPT with the Insert > Picture command (not
with copy/paste), and reduce the size to 25% of the original.

If I'm creating a presentation with dozens of equations, I'm probably
going to use equation objects rather than GIFs, because it's faster.
If the quality of the equations is important though, it takes only a
few seconds longer to use the GIF method.

Bob Mathews
Director of Training
Design Science, Inc.
bobm at dessci.com

On Nov 16, 6:17 am, shoo...(a)gmail.com wrote:

On 10-Oct-2007, <enigmavariant(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Use the Google Reader API to purge old feeds
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/02188aa0-d50b-42fe-9bdb-30a321dd7671/use-the-google-reader-api.aspx

Pages: 1
Prev: VBA - Trap Key Strokes
Next: pie chart