From: PhilipOrr on
>Aside from compensating for offsets, why go differential?
>
>Jerry

It allows me to suppress the other signal that is strong and common to both
polarisations (happens to be strain in this sensor). Common drifts in the
two measurements are removed. Also, there is that [weak] increase in
SNR...

That's about it I suppose.

Are you implying I shouldn't bother? I'm using the lame 'some benefits
outweighs no benefits' argument here as you can tell.
From: Jerry Avins on
On Jul 29, 4:39 am, "PhilipOrr"
<philip.orr(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.eee.strath.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Aside from compensating for offsets, why go differential?
>
> >Jerry
>
> It allows me to suppress the other signal that is strong and common to both
> polarisations (happens to be strain in this sensor). Common drifts in the
> two measurements are removed. Also, there is that [weak] increase in
> SNR...
>
> That's about it I suppose.
>
> Are you implying I shouldn't bother? I'm using the lame 'some benefits
> outweighs no benefits' argument here as you can tell.

It has a cost that is probably justified by the strain and drifts. The
cost is forgoing the extra samples you could average. A sharper low-
pass filter would likely be better than simple averaging.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.