From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
I would recommend trying Avast! antivirus.
I've been using it for over a year and its been great!
It's also FREE!

avast! 4 Home Edition Download

I would also recommend installing the new Windows Defender
antispyware program. It's also FREE!

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch(a)nospamgmail.com>

| I would recommend trying Avast! antivirus.
| I've been using it for over a year and its been great!
| It's also FREE!
|
| avast! 4 Home Edition Download
|
| I would also recommend installing the new Windows Defender
| antispyware program. It's also FREE!
| http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

But it took Avast two months to correct a False Postive declaration of VBS:Zulu using Avast
on IE7 when accessing some Microsoft web pages.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: David H. Lipman on
From: <lalinda(a)yahoonospam.com>

| I've been seeing Avast taking a hit in these groups and I'm wondering
| if E-trust is any CA's E-trust AV is any better?
|
| I thought that Avast with all its shields prevents alot of malware and
| trojans, which seem to be the major problem on the web today.
|
| How about the CA E-trust firewall product?
|
| I know that most are going to say that the best are NOD32 or Kaspersky, but
| I have the option of getting E-trust and Avast quickly. What's the better
| of the two?

Kaspersky or NOD32 are suggested.
If you *must* use a free anti virus, rather than a paid for solution, Avira AntiVir is
suggested.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
In alt.comp.anti-virus, lalinda(a)yahoonospam.com wrote:

> I thought that Avast with all its shields prevents alot of malware and
> trojans, which seem to be the major problem on the web today.

Truth be told, if you use modern, secure software (OS, mail, news,
browser, firewall) and practice safe hex, you don't need any of those
other programs.

--
-bts
From: Joe on
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> I would recommend trying Avast! antivirus.
> I've been using it for over a year and its been great!
> It's also FREE!
>
> avast! 4 Home Edition Download

I agree.. Avast! also does some spyware, and has the option to schedule
a boot scan at next reboot. That can find a virus that normally shuts
down a/v software once Windows is running.

--
Joe =o)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: New Samsung monitor, driver problems?
Next: Ad-Aware