From: gufus on
Hello, 98!

You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:30:54 -0400:

FL>> Well the install and update went smooth.. NO PROB :)
FL>> But there is /no/ "navdx.exe" anywhere :(
FL>> Ideas?
G>
G> Based on some investigation I've just done, I can tell you this:

Say..

If you know, I found my old NAV 2002 DL'ed version, even tho it's only good
for 1 (one) year, the subscription will choke after that, Also NAV
Systemworks 2002 had problems, I thought it install right, but it didn't.
NAV 200 /wouldn't/ install, or clean sweep either.

Anynoo, will "navdx.exe" be the only file needed? No DLL"s either? To much
screwing around. :(

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: gufus on
Hello, 98!

You wrote on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:30:54 -0400:

FL>> Well the install and update went smooth.. NO PROB :)
FL>> But there is /no/ "navdx.exe" anywhere :(
FL>> Ideas?
G>
G> Based on some investigation I've just done, I can tell you this:
G> navdx.exe is not present when NAV 2002 is installed on Win-XP machines.

BTW.. I think it was user /error/ when I tried install ing Norton
Systemworks 02, I'm going to try again, time permitting.

--
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: stop.nospam.gbbsg(a)shaw.ca

From: Virus Guy on
gufus wrote:

> If you know, I found my old NAV 2002 DL'ed version, even tho it's
> only good for 1 (one) year, the subscription will choke after
> that

Yes. Once you install NAV 2002, it will accept new updates for 366
days. After that, it will refuse new virus definitions.

To fix that, simply un-install and re-install it. But before you
re-install, delete the file "catalog.livesubscribe".

On win-98 systems, that file will be found in:

c:\windows\all users\application data\symantec\livesubscribe

That directory will not be deleted when you uninstall NAV.

If you keep NAV 2002 installed on several PC's, it's only necessary to
re-install it on one PC when it expires. When you re-install, take a
copy of the new catalog.livesubscribe and copy it in place of the others
on the other PC's. They will all be updated to the new expiration date
when you do that.

> Also NAV Systemworks 2002 had problems, I thought it install right
> but it didn't.

> NAV 2002 /wouldn't/ install, or clean sweep either.

I never install cleansweep (not on win-98 or XP).

If your system has ever had NAV installed on it before, you might have
to do a complete search for all old remnants and remove them. From your
registry too.

See here for NAV removal tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

> Anynoo, will "navdx.exe" be the only file needed? No DLL"s either?
> To much screwing around. :(

I can provide my C:\Program_Files\Norton_SystemWorks\Norton_AntiVirus
directory as a zipped file (about 13 mb uncompressed). It should be
enough to enable a working version for DOS. It would probably also need
C:\Program_Files\Common_Files\Symantec_Shared\VirusDefs as well (about
258 mb uncompressed).

But I really don't see why you need to scan a system that's exclusively
running DOS. What exposure does such a system have to the internet? Or
even a LAN network?

You can always remove the drive from such a system and connected it as a
slave to another (windows) system and scan the drive that way.
From: gufus on
Hi Virus,

Monday April 19 2010, Virus Guy writes to gufus:

> Yes. Once you install NAV 2002, it will accept new updates
> for 366 days. After that, it will refuse new virus
> definitions.

I thought so.

> To fix that, simply un-install and re-install it. But
> before you re-install, delete the file
> "catalog.livesubscribe".

Thanks for the tip 98, I did find that file. I see it's their way of keeping
their software on 1 (one) system.

> If you keep NAV 2002 installed on several PC's, it's only
> necessary to re-install it on one PC when it expires. When

Another /good/ tip, makes sense. the data file that keep's the software
legit.

> See here for NAV removal tool:
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/200
> 5033108162039

'k

> I can provide my
> C:\Program_Files\Norton_SystemWorks\Norton_AntiVirus directo
> ry as a zipped file (about 13 mb uncompressed). It should

I'm going to play with NAV02 a bit more, but I still might take you up on
that offer.

> But I really don't see why you need to scan a system that's
> exclusively running DOS. What exposure does such a system
> have to the internet? Or even a LAN network?

Well, the DOS box also runs my BBS, that's a network I'm a member of
(Fidionet) a amateur network, I get data from my uplink and send it to my
downlinks, I use the internet to piggy-back Fidonet data. My BBS is a server
for Fidonet too.

So really I should just scan incoming Fidonet data before it makes it's way
across the LAN to the DOS box. The DOS workstation is clean.

On a side note:

What do you think of NAV02? Compared to the anti-viral software available
today. I use Avira v10 right now.

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:info(a)gypsy-designs.com
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... BBSing-the most fun you'll have with clothes on.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Work switching from Trend to McAfee
Next: HELP DESK