From: Tim Meddick on
Although Microsoft does not provide any resident Anti-Virus protection for Windows
(any version) it does provide a resident protection program against malware and
another to scan against malicious software.

These are named "Windows Defender" and "Malicious Software Removal Tool" (MRT.exe),
respectively.

Windows Defender is included with Windows as standard from Vista and above.

For XP (SP2 or greater), you can download and install Windows Defender from Microsoft
Downloads :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435BFCE7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

If you have Microsoft Update enabled, then the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" will
be automatically downloaded each month to your [system32] directory.

Just type MRT.exe into the "Run" box to start this application.

If you don't have Automatic Updated enabled (I recommend that you do, though) you can
obtain MRT.exe from :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

Also, you can go to the Windows Live website and perform a [free] Safety Scan for
viruses and other malicious code on your PC.

For the Windows Live Safety Scan, go to :

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Doum on
"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> �crivait

> Although Microsoft does not provide any resident Anti-Virus protection
> for Windows (any version) it does provide a resident protection
> program against malware and another to scan against malicious
> software.

I just double-clicked on the MS Security Essentials on my taskbar to check
what you say and on the Home tab it says "Real-time protection : Enabled"
(my Win and MSE are in French so it's a translation), to me that looks like
"resident Anti-Virus protection".

Am I wrong?

From: Tim Meddick on
I do apologise - MSE final release was on 29 September 2009 and although I was aware
of M$'s plans to launch a [free] resident AV protection program I am woefully behind
the times and didn't know it had already been released.

For anyone else reading this who wanted true resident Anti-Virus protection free from
Microsoft, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials from :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/3/8/A38FFBF2-1122-48B4-AF60-E44F6DC28BD8/mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe

==

From: Julz on
Hi John
I have solutions for you: Go microsoft website, download M windows
essentials and get yourself avg anti-virus which very lite then, you will
tell me, enjoy. Bingo

From: Smirnoff on
Do NOT run MSE and AVG together.

All other "real time" AV and anti-malware programmes should be removed
before installing MSE.

See:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91