From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> | Specifically, to scan the registry files contained on the slaved
>> | drive?

>> No. Not really. You would have to load the hives of the affected
>> drives into the running OS of the surrogate PC. I know of no
>> software that will do that.

| Is there something fundamental about accessing and processing a
| "non-loaded" registry hive that prevents third-party scanning software
| from examining and even correcting the registry hive? Are hive
| structures either so proprietary or so complex to make that task
| impossible?

All anti malware scanners presume that they are installed on the OS that is affected.
They are not designed to be used on surrogate PCs scanning hard disk of other OS'
and thus loading their respective registry hives.

>> Additionally any anti malware scanner will acatully be
>> examining the Registry of
| the surrogate PC.

| As they (most? all?) are written now, yes, that's how they work.

| I'm
| wondering if there are any that can operate on a known-slaved drive
| from a suspect
| machine.

NONE!

| I can't be the only one to see the value of the technique of scanning
| and
| correcting a drive that's being accessed in slave-mode, as opposed
| to one that's
| operating. I would think that ridding a drive of malware
| is best done when it's being
| accessed as a slave, just as the best way
| to repair your car is when it's parked with
| the engine turned off.

>> However, you don't need to because if you remove the actual
>>
| malware from the affected drive then when the drive is
>> returned to the affected
| platform, the registry will not load
>> the malware into the OS because it would
| presumably be no
>> longer present.

| In theory - yes. In practice, it seems that there
| is no malware that
| can detect 100% of viral/trojan binaries. So being able to remove
| the
| various mal-planted auto-run keys in a slaved registry would seem to be
| desirable feature of any anti-malware application.

>> Of course there is always the
| possibility in the above scerario
>> that you remove the malicious file from the affected
| drive but
>> the file was REQUIRED to be loaded into the OS upon boot and
>> when the
| drive is placed back into the affected platform, the
>> PC will boot into a BSoD
| condition indicating a required file
>> could not be found.

| So presumably when the drive
| is slaved and the "required" (but viral)
| file deleted, that at the same time if the
| reference to the file was
| removed from the slaved registry that the outcome you suggest
| would not happen. Otcome you suggest would not happen.

No it does happen, I've seen it.

The DLL would be named such as; base????32.dll (ex. basevml32.dll)
This is a SubSys trojan and with this trojan, it would be inserted into the following
registry key;
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\windows
and would become part of a DLL load chain. The name of malware DLL would be inserted ito
the registry key (such as; ServerDll=basevml32) . If you deleted the trojan by putting
the drive in a surrogate PC or by using the Recovery Console the PC would boot into a BSoD
complaining that the DLL could not be found.

Example NT Stop Error:
STOP: c0000135 {Unable To Locate Component}
This application has failed to start because basevml32 was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

It loads via...
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\windows

Example of text in an infected PC:
-----------------------------------
%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512,512
Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basevml32,1
ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2
ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

Example of correct text:
----------------------------
%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512,512
Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1
ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2
ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

The above is a real world example taken from my notes. The ONLY way to fix it is either
copy
basesrv.dll to basevml32.dll in the Recovery Console or preferrably load the infected OS
and edit the registry and reboot then delete basevml32.dll.

I mention the above because many presume placing an affected drive in a surrogate PC is
one of the best ways to deal with removing malware that may be loaded at run-time.
However, if you do, when you run the Anti malware software it will not correct the
registry of the OS of the affected drive and may leave the OS of the affected drive
impotent. I am NOT saying placing an affected drive in a surrogate PC is not a good
methodology. I am saying that it can have drawbacks and you must be prepared for them.

An advantage of placing an affected drive in a surrogate PC is that if there is a RootKit
that employs stealth and blocks anti malware scanners running on the affected PC, running
scanners on a surrogate PC will be able to remove the malware without activity of the
RootKit's capability.

If you place an affected drive in a surrogate PC expect it ONLY to work at the file level
disk level and not affect the Registry. Once you have scanned the drived with a few good
On Demand scanners then place the drive backing to the affected PC and use MBAM and other
anti malwre scanners within the affected PC's OS to remove illegitimate registry
modifications.

--
Dave

From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> All anti malware scanners presume that they are installed on the
> OS that is affected.

I fully undertand that - although your "all" proviso leaves no doubt
about it, and so far nobody else has suggested that there is even one
scanner that can do what I'm asking about.

But your statement does not answer the question:

| Are hive structures either so proprietary or so complex to make
| that task impossible?

> I mention the above because many presume placing an affected
> drive in a surrogate PC is one of the best ways to deal with
> removing malware that may be loaded at run-time. However, if
> you do, when you run the Anti malware software it will not
> correct the registry of the OS of the affected drive and may
> leave the OS of the affected drive impotent.

Hence my question as to whether or not the "next frontier" of AM
(anti-malware) software would be to have the ability to scan and correct
the registry present on a slaved drive.

> I am NOT saying placing an affected drive in a surrogate PC is
> not a good methodology. I am saying that it can have drawbacks
> and you must be prepared for them.

Would it not be possible to run a system in safe mode and therefor not
experience the BSOD in your example?

> An advantage of placing an affected drive in a surrogate PC
> is that if there is a RootKit

In my case, it seems that the malware in question was preventing me from
(re)installing and running NAV (and even the task manager) but not
MBAM. We know that it's fairly common for malware to have an in-built
list of file names and processes to interfere with and prevent proper
operation.

To your knowledge, is MBAM on such lists?

> If you place an affected drive in a surrogate PC expect
> it ONLY to work at the file level disk level and not
> affect the Registry.

That is already a given, and was presumed in my first post in this
thread.

I'm asking if there are technical reasons why "external" registry files
could not accessed and manipulated by third-party software.

I'm suggesting that the functionality of AM software could be enhanced
and their utility and desirability increased by having this ability.
From: tommy on

Virus Guy wrote:
> tommy wrote:
>
>>> Is there any anti-malware software that can properly scan a slaved
>>> drive from another system - to treat it as if it was the primary,
>>> operational drive during the scanning session?
>>>
>>> Specifically, to scan the registry files contained on the slaved
>>> drive?
>>
>> Registry files are stored in %SystemRoot%\System32\Config
>> use the context menu scan option , after identifying and selecting
>> the folder shown above "config"
>
> How does that help to answer my question?

I was thinking you could scan a networked drive from your original.
Sorry, I can't remember whether you can scan a networked drive or not with
an AV.
You might have to make a copy on a thumbdrive, then scan it, then replace
the original with the corrected one.
But it wouldn't be operational, but I know techs that use this technique all
the time.
--
Tommy

From: tommy on

Virus Guy wrote:
> tommy wrote:
>
>> I was thinking you could scan a networked drive from your original.
>
> And how could I trust that scanning an infected PC over a network
> would result in ridding the PC of malware, and also cleaning that PC's
> registry? An infected PC will most likely actively interfere will all
> scanning and disinfection attempts, whether they are run locally or
> remotely.
I didn't say it was desirable, just that I thought thats what you wanted to
as a way of scanning that registry.

>> You might have to make a copy on a thumbdrive, then scan it,
>> then replace the original with the corrected one.
>
> A copy of what? The infected drive, or just the registry from the
> infected drive?
>
> How would that help (or be different) vs just removing the infected
> drive and slaving it to a trusted host?
Its just another approach that comes to mind.
You yourself asked if there was a way to scan another registry on another
drive.
Don't you think you could scan the registry if it is on another drive, thumb
or slaved?

>> But it wouldn't be operational, but I know techs that use this
>> technique all the time.
>
> Ask them how they scan the registry of the infected source drive.
> There is apparently no AV/AM software that does this.
I thought I just finished explaining how to do it.

From: PajaP on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 10:53:13 -0500, Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>> What is wrong with using the registry editor built into windows
>> (regedit) and loading the hive of the system and users?
>> Just don't forget to unload them when done ;)
>
>How do I load the hive(s) from a slaved drive into regedit and then tell
>my anti-malware software to scan the loaded registry instead of the host
>system registry?

Sorry, I was not replying to you directly.

I was replying to:
"An alternative would be a registry editor that could open the files on
the slave drive so you could at least kill the auto-starting entries".

My answer "What is wrong with using the registry editor built into
windows (regedit) and loading the hive of the system and users?" was
intended to provide a means to 'manually delete startup entries. I doubt
if anti-malware software would look at these hives?