From: Mark F on
I was playing with a Nikon D300s.

There are two primary ways of composing your images:
1. In the viewfinder, where you are looking at a reflection
off of the moveable mirror, and
2. LiveView, where you look at the LCD screen on the back of
the camera.
(You can also compose using an external screen using any of
various connections.)

I didn't want there to be mirror noise, so I used LiveView,
but when I took a picture I found out that focusing or exposure,
or whatever, requires the mirror to be down; therefore, there
is no way to compose an image without having a mirror move when
you take the picture.

So my question is, there a Nikon D300s or higher quality camera
that allows me to lock the mirror up and compose my pictures,
so that the composition window either never goes black
or only goes black when the image is being exposed and read out?

(The LCD screen on the back of the D300s shows the image
while filming movies and there is no mirror noise, many of the
exposure control, automatic focusing, and resolution features
of the camera are not available from videos.)

I know that there were technical reasons in the past the
meant that high quality cameras were designed so the mirror
has to be down for many control functions, but I may have missed
new technology or a high quality camera that compromised on
focusing speed or some such, in favor of allowing the mirror
to be locked up without having the image composition window
go black.

Thanks.
From: Paul Furman on
Mark F wrote:
> I was playing with a Nikon D300s.
>
> There are two primary ways of composing your images:
> 1. In the viewfinder, where you are looking at a reflection
> off of the moveable mirror, and
> 2. LiveView, where you look at the LCD screen on the back of
> the camera.
> (You can also compose using an external screen using any of
> various connections.)
>
> I didn't want there to be mirror noise, so I used LiveView,
> but when I took a picture I found out that focusing or exposure,
> or whatever, requires the mirror to be down; therefore, there
> is no way to compose an image without having a mirror move when
> you take the picture.
>
> So my question is, there a Nikon D300s or higher quality camera
> that allows me to lock the mirror up and compose my pictures,
> so that the composition window either never goes black
> or only goes black when the image is being exposed and read out?
>
> (The LCD screen on the back of the D300s shows the image
> while filming movies and there is no mirror noise, many of the
> exposure control, automatic focusing, and resolution features
> of the camera are not available from videos.)
>
> I know that there were technical reasons in the past the
> meant that high quality cameras were designed so the mirror
> has to be down for many control functions, but I may have missed
> new technology or a high quality camera that compromised on
> focusing speed or some such, in favor of allowing the mirror
> to be locked up without having the image composition window
> go black.

Nikon's implementation stinks. There is an option to have autofocus not
flip the mirror but it still stinks. Canon is somewhat better but AFAIK
they all kinda stink so far.

Pages: 1
Prev: Moonset Over Zion
Next: monopod