From: Dudley Hanks on
Picked up a new monopod today.

It's nice and heavy, so when it hangs off the bottom, it gives me a good
indication of when the cam is level. I think it will help quite a bit.
However, there'll still be slanted horizons if I'm shooting diagonally. I
need to find a way to figure out when I'm square with the subject.

Will probably put the monopod to it's first test at a Collin James concert,
tomorrow. After that, it's off to the Indy / NASCAR races on Sunday.

Thank you, Edmonton Journal / Canadian Tire for the tickets. They're much
appreciated.

Take Care,
Dudley

--
"The balance between staying positive and being realistic lies somewhere in
the area of remaining hopeful." Irwin Barker

From: Nervous Nick on
On Jul 23, 4:06 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> Picked up a new monopod today.
>
> It's nice and heavy, so when it hangs off the bottom, it gives me a good
> indication of when the cam is level.  I think it will help quite a bit.
> However, there'll still be slanted horizons if I'm shooting diagonally.  I
> need to find a way to figure out when I'm square with the subject.

Check this out:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/beeping_camera_spirit_level/

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Nervous Nick" <nervous.nick(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 23, 4:06 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> Picked up a new monopod today.
>
> It's nice and heavy, so when it hangs off the bottom, it gives me a good
> indication of when the cam is level. I think it will help quite a bit.
> However, there'll still be slanted horizons if I'm shooting diagonally. I
> need to find a way to figure out when I'm square with the subject.

Check this out:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/beeping_camera_spirit_level/

Hey, that is coool...

It just made it to my "Must Have" list...

Thanks, Nick, for the heads up...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Tim Conway on

"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message

> "Nervous Nick" <nervous.nick(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 23, 4:06 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>> Picked up a new monopod today.
>>
>> It's nice and heavy, so when it hangs off the bottom, it gives me a good
>> indication of when the cam is level. I think it will help quite a bit.
>> However, there'll still be slanted horizons if I'm shooting diagonally. I
>> need to find a way to figure out when I'm square with the subject.
>

> Check this out:
>
> http://www.photographyblog.com/news/beeping_camera_spirit_level/
>

> Hey, that is coool...
>
> It just made it to my "Must Have" list...
>
> Thanks, Nick, for the heads up...

Wow, that is cool. I see reasons to have that even if you have 20/20
vision. I always had trouble using a level on my tripods. This really
shows promise.

Ps. Welcome back.

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-23 15:24:51 -0700, "Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> said:

> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> "Nervous Nick" <nervous.nick(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On

>> Jul 23, 4:06 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>> Picked up a new monopod today.
>>>
>>> It's nice and heavy, so when it hangs off the bottom, it gives me a good
>>> indication of when the cam is level. I think it will help quite a bit.
>>> However, there'll still be slanted horizons if I'm shooting diagonally. I
>>> need to find a way to figure out when I'm square with the subject.
>>

>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://www.photographyblog.com/news/beeping_camera_spirit_level/
>>

>> Hey, that is coool...
>>
>> It just made it to my "Must Have" list...
>>
>> Thanks, Nick, for the heads up...
>
> Wow, that is cool. I see reasons to have that even if you have 20/20
> vision. I always had trouble using a level on my tripods. This
> really shows promise.
>
> Ps. Welcome back.

For those who don't have Dudley's vision problems there are these options;
<
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/263729-REG/Manfrotto_337_337_2_Axis_Flash_Hot.html

<
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/513199-REG/Kaiser_206387_Hot_Shoe_Duplex_Bubble.html