From: JanPB on
Koobee Wublee wrote:
> JanPB wrote:
> > Koobee Wublee wrote:
> >> ** ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 / (1 + K / r) - (1 + K / r) dr^2 - (r + K)^2 dO^2
> >> ** ds^2 = c^2 (1 - K / r) dt^2 - dr^2 / (1 - K / r) - r^2 dO^2
> >>
> >> K is an integration constant chosen to fit Newtonian result. It is
> >>
> >> ** K = 2 G M / c^2
> >>
> >> How do you know which of the two is the first form? And why?
> >
> > If one starts - as is usual - with a spherically symmetric
> > (t,r,theta,phi)-space with r>0, etc., then any spherically symmetric
> > metric can be locally written in the two forms we had before (not the
> > two forms you wrote above - the two forms with the sign switch). One
> > solves the Einstein equations which describe a metric (uniquely,
> > because the equations happen to be ODEs in this case) described by
> > components which happen to blow up at r=2m in that basis. This is your
> > second equation.
>
> Of course, r >=0. This is spherically symmetric polar coordinate.

Yes, although there is nothing magical about 0. It's just a convention
everyone uses by analogy with the planar polar coordinates. One can
assign the number 42 to the centre of symmetry.

> > If one started instead with a spherically symmetric
> > (t,r,theta,phi)-space with labelling set so that r>-K (K - some number)
> > then you'd end up with the solution that looks like your first
> > equation. Same thing, different chart.
>
> Is there any reason for you to avoid my simple question?

I though I'd just answered it. I assume it was "How do you know which
of the two is the first form?" Did you mean something else? I assumed
you meant "how does one know to which form r>0 applies to?".

> > > No.
> >
> > Are you sure? This is aritmetic now. One more time: assuming r=u+K if r
> > has values between 0 and infinity then u has values between what and
> > what?
>
> Very sure. In both equations, r >= 0.

No. The first equation follows from the second when you change the
coordinates as r=u+K. So for clarity you should not use the same letter
"r" there. I used "u". So if in the second equation the range of r is 0
through infinity it means that the range of u=r-K is -K through
infinity. Elementary.

--
Jan Bielawski

From: I.Vecchi on
Tom Roberts ha scritto:

> I.Vecchi wrote:

> > Are you saying that for every black hole in the universe there is a
> > corresponding white hole?
>
> Not at all! But I am pointing out that in the Schwarzschild manifold
> there is both a black hole and a white hole. That manifold _IS_ what we
> are discussing.

What we are discussing is "the uniqueness of the extension over the
horizon" and the relevant selection criteria . What I am saying is that
there are at least two ways to extend the solution over the horizon,
correspoinding to two different physical situations, the black hole and
the white hole.

> It is quite clear that the universe we inhabit is not
> described by the Schw. manifold.

Yes, as I said, it is a physically irrelevant mathematical construct,
whose physical irrelevance reflects the irrelevance of the criteria it
fulfills.

> >> Not "physical object" but rather region of the manifold.
> >
> > Which corresponds to a physical/observational object. Otherwise we are
> > talking about nothing.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "a physical/observational object". But it
> IS clear that a region of the manifold is not any sort of "object" at
> all. <shrug>
>
> One might call it an "observational domain" I suppose, but "object" is
> quite definitely not applicable.

You may call it as you like.

> > Beside the above, I surmise that there are other space-time extensions
> > across the horizon corresponding to hybrid white hole/black hole
> > solutions (*). This would be impossible according to your argument,
> > right?
>
> The geodesically complete extension of the Schwarzschild charts is
> unique, given by the Kruskal chart.

The question is whether the requirement of geodesic completeness (which
in this setting is obtained by shifting trouble to infinity) is
appriopriate, i.e. physically relevant.
I surmise that there are geodesically incomplete extensions,
corresponding to hybrid solutions which may be physically relevant.

I am not keen on throwing away interesting extensions/solutions just
because they do not not comply with some arbitrary uniqueness
criterion.

Cheers.

IV

From: Sorcerer on

"JanPB" <filmart(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
| Koobee Wublee wrote:
| > JanPB wrote:

| > > If one starts - as is usual - with a spherically symmetric
| > > (t,r,theta,phi)-space with r>0, etc., then any spherically symmetric
| > > metric can be locally written in the two forms we had before (not the
| > > two forms you wrote above - the two forms with the sign switch). One
| > > solves the Einstein equations which describe a metric (uniquely,
| > > because the equations happen to be ODEs in this case) described by
| > > components which happen to blow up at r=2m in that basis. This is your
| > > second equation.
| >
| > Of course, r >=0. This is spherically symmetric polar coordinate.
|
| Yes, although there is nothing magical about 0. It's just a convention
| everyone uses by analogy with the planar polar coordinates. One can
| assign the number 42 to the centre of symmetry.
|
| > > If one started instead with a spherically symmetric
| > > (t,r,theta,phi)-space with labelling set so that r>-K (K - some
number)
| > > then you'd end up with the solution that looks like your first
| > > equation. Same thing, different chart.
| >
| > Is there any reason for you to avoid my simple question?
|
| I though I'd just answered it. I assume it was "How do you know which
| of the two is the first form?" Did you mean something else? I assumed
| you meant "how does one know to which form r>0 applies to?".

| > > Are you sure? This is aritmetic now. One more time: assuming r=u+K if
| > > has values between 0 and infinity then u has values between what and
| > > what?
| >
| > Very sure. In both equations, r >= 0.
|
| No.

Yes, fuckhead. r>=0. c= 0/0.
The problem in both equations is c which is the velocity of light from
A to A in time t'A-tA.
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DominoEffect.GIF

Androcles

From: Daryl McCullough on
I.Vecchi says...

>The question is whether the requirement of geodesic completeness (which
>in this setting is obtained by shifting trouble to infinity) is
>appriopriate, i.e. physically relevant.

The answer is definitely "yes". Consider an observer in freefall near the
event horizon. Using his local coordinates, there is *nothing* to prevent
him from reaching and passing the event horizon in a finite amount of
proper time, because for him, spacetime near the event horizon is
approximately *flat*. Anything other than demanding geodesic completeness
would violate the equivalence principle, I think.

>I surmise that there are geodesically incomplete extensions,
>corresponding to hybrid solutions which may be physically relevant.
>
>I am not keen on throwing away interesting extensions/solutions just
>because they do not not comply with some arbitrary uniqueness
>criterion.

I don't think that there is anything arbitrary about the criteria.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Koobee Wublee says...

>JanPB wrote:
>> Koobee Wublee wrote:
>>> ** ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 / (1 + K / r) - (1 + K / r) dr^2 - (r + K)^2 dO^2
>>> ** ds^2 = c^2 (1 - K / r) dt^2 - dr^2 / (1 - K / r) - r^2 dO^2

>Of course, r >=0. This is spherically symmetric polar coordinate.

What about the first metric implies that the range of r is between
0 and infinity? Are you thinking that the use of the name "r" implies
such a range?

You do realize, don't you, that the first metric, with range
r > -K is exactly the same as the second metric, with range r > 0?
Or, the other way around, the first metric with range r > 0 is
exactly the same as the second metric with range r > K>?

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: Prime numbers
Next: Am I a crank?