From: JanPB on
Edward Green wrote:
> [...] I believe I have found the answer to my own question (as
> usual), and while I did not state the requirement 100% correctly, I was
> on the right track. I happened upon the correct formulation in
> Schwarzschild's 1916 paper on the field of a mass point:
>
> "The field equations ... have the fundamental property that
> they preserve their form under the substitution of other
> arbitrary variables in lieu of x1,x2, x3, x4, as long as the
> determinant of the substitution is equal to 1."
>
> http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/9905/9905030.pdf

It's usually not a good idea to learn stuff from original papers. They
were written for experts and reflect the then-current knowledge. For
example, Schwarzschild didn't know at that time that the determinant
restriction was unnecessary (the equations are invariant under _any_
change of variables).

> If the old coordinates were orthogonal and the new coordinates remained
> orthogonal (which requirement I did not state) and we kept the same
> units, mine would be a sufficient condition to meet the above
> requirement on the named determinate.

Forget the determinants, it's complete mothballs. Read a modern
textbook instead.

> In general we have more latitude
> than that, _but_ we are not free to chose the new coordinates
> arbitrarily, even if they are invertible in a neighborhood. The unit of
> _volume_ at least must be preserved.

No, that's unecessary.

--
Jan Bielawski

From: JanPB on
I wrote:

> It's usually not a good idea to learn stuff from original papers.

I meant classic, well-established stuff of course.

--
Jan Bielawski

From: Koobee Wublee on
Edward Green wrote:
> Igor wrote:

> > The metric will always compensate to make up for the difference.
>
> So you claim. I believe I have found the answer to my own question (as
> usual), and while I did not state the requirement 100% correctly, I was
> on the right track. I happened upon the correct formulation in
> Schwarzschild's 1916 paper on the field of a mass point:
>
> "The field equations ... have the fundamental property that
> they preserve their form under the substitution of other
> arbitrary variables in lieu of x1,x2, x3, x4, as long as the
> determinant of the substitution is equal to 1."
>
> http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/physics/pdf/9905/9905030.pdf

This is an excellent article. It is very easy to read and understand.
Thanks to Schwarzschild's ingenuity.

> If the old coordinates were orthogonal and the new coordinates remained
> orthogonal (which requirement I did not state) and we kept the same
> units, mine would be a sufficient condition to meet the above
> requirement on the named determinate. In general we have more latitude
> than that, _but_ we are not free to chose the new coordinates
> arbitrarily, even if they are invertible in a neighborhood. The unit of
> _volume_ at least must be preserved. In the case of a one-dimensional
> manifold this reduces to the requirement to keep the same units.

Schwarzschild found a unique solution to the differential equations of
Einstein Field Equations in free space. Hilbert found another one that
he called it Schwarzschild Metric. Recently, Mr. Rahman also a
contributor of this newsgroup presented another solution. The
spacetime with this metric is

ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 / (1 + K / r) - (1 + K / r) dr^2 - (r + K)^2 dO^2

The metric above indeed is another solution which anyone can easily
verify because its simplicity. Notice Rahman's metric and
Schwarzschild's original metric do not manifest black holes.

However, since Schwarzschild Metric is much simpler than
Schwarzschild's original solution, Schwarzschild Metric is embraced by
the physics communities today. Mr. Bielawski and Igor have not
understood Schwarzschild's original paper and choose to blindly reject
Schwarzschild's original solution and others.

As multiple solutions to the vacuum field equations are discovered,
there are actually an infinite number of them. With infinite number of
solutions, it is shaking the very foundation of GR and SR. The house
of cards will soon inevitably collapse. However, refusing to give up
GR and to comfort themselves in false sense of security, they choose to
embrace Voodoo Mathematics. In doing so, they blindly claim all
solutions are indeed the same regardless manifesting black holes,
constant expanding universe, accelerated expanding universe. VOODOO
MATHEMATICS REPRESENTS THE ACHIEVEMENT IN PHYSICS DURING THE LAST 100
YEARS. It is very sad that these clowns are regarded as experts in
their field.

From: Edward Green on
JanPB wrote:

>. The unit of _volume_ at least must be preserved.
>
> No, that's unecessary.

Well sir, I disremember what started me on this tack... maybe I was
trying to figure out what was "physical" in GR. However, I arrived at
the following waystation: Physically distinct (in a specifiable sense)
1-d manifolds with what look like identical representations of a
metric.

Is it a _problem_ if physically distinct situations look identical
given only the variable labels and a representation of the metric? Is
there some missing piece? Did I correctly transform the metrics given
the manipulations of the manifold or coordinate system described? You
would do me a kindness if you were to scan the second two paragraphs in
the post you replied to, and indicate the faults in the argument.

Oh... and learning from original papers... I'm not sure I completely
agree with you. Sometimes you have a conceptual problem, and you find
that the original thinkers were alive to the problem, although it is
glossed over now. At least I think that's happened to me once, so I
can freely generalize. Maybe even twice now. ;-)

From: JanPB on
Koobee Wublee wrote:

> Schwarzschild found a unique solution to the differential equations of
> Einstein Field Equations in free space. Hilbert found another one that
> he called it Schwarzschild Metric. Recently, Mr. Rahman also a
> contributor of this newsgroup presented another solution. The
> spacetime with this metric is
>
> ds^2 = c^2 dt^2 / (1 + K / r) - (1 + K / r) dr^2 - (r + K)^2 dO^2
>
> The metric above indeed is another solution which anyone can easily
> verify because its simplicity. Notice Rahman's metric and
> Schwarzschild's original metric do not manifest black holes.

No, the metric above is equal to Schwarzschild's metric. The form above
is obtained by a coordinate change from the original one, hence the
metric remains the same (tensors do not change under coordinate
changes).

> However, since Schwarzschild Metric is much simpler than
> Schwarzschild's original solution, Schwarzschild Metric is embraced by
> the physics communities today.

It's embraced because it's the same.

> Mr. Bielawski and Igor have not
> understood Schwarzschild's original paper and choose to blindly reject
> Schwarzschild's original solution and others.

There is nothing to reject. One can _prove_ Schwarzschild's metric is
unique. Off the horizon it follows immediately from the particular form
of the Einstein equation in the spherically symmetric case (which is
what we have) and the uniqueness of the extension over the horizon is
slightly more involved but it follows from a similar argument.

> As multiple solutions to the vacuum field equations are discovered,
> there are actually an infinite number of them.

Yes, and 2+2=5.

> With infinite number of
> solutions, it is shaking the very foundation of GR and SR.

Sure. My boots are all torn already.

Give us a break.

--
Jan Bielawski